What is the expected lifespan of the Bosch drive unit?

Bosch drive units can be refurbished.
It's not supported by the manufacturer but there are shops doing it, it consists mostly of deassembly, cleaning, swapping out bearings, regreasing and reassembling. If you're crafty enough it's possible to do it yourself, the parts are available.

This is the single weakest point in the Bosch drive units, that they are not designed to be serviceable by the consumer. They are designed to be "maintenance free" which everyone knows is an utopia. As you mention, everything wears out. They should at least offer an official refurbishment service.

You can find actual data for Bosch motor longevity at https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/mittelmotoren/mittelmotoren-2/bosch-mittelmotoren/. I believe the web site allows one to track kilometers and motor replacements. From that data, it appears 2nd generation Bosch motors are quite reliable, with 5,000-20,000km per tracked user begin common, and few needing replacement. None of the 3rd generation (ActiveLine/ActiveLinePlus) motors have been replaced, although few users have more than 5,000km. I don't think the very newest (2020) motors are being tracked yet.

Pulling up other pages, Yamaha also appears reliable, Brose less so, and Bafang mid-motors even less. BTW - To get to the site menu you have to close the ad at the top of the screen.

Brushless motors have the potential to last forever. The only thing that wears out on a brushless motor is the bearings. Now you can burn up the motor by over amping it, or over temping it, but otherwise it should last a very long time. What wears out in our ebike motors is the gears and the bearings. But those can be replaced as can the controllers and batteries. So asking how long motors last depends on how you ride your bike and how you take care of it. A lot of the damage I have seen writing in forums is from water ingress. Which causes rust on the bearings and or gears. Once bearings go out, they can start damaging the gears whether plastic or metal. Gears also wear out from normal use and don't last forever. Warn gears can also do other damage. Also cracked housings from hard riding, the list goes on. I would expect a mountain bike ridding hard will need new parts long before a commuter bike would.

You can find actual data for Bosch motor longevity at https://pedelecmonitor.wordpress.com/mittelmotoren/mittelmotoren-2/bosch-mittelmotoren/. I believe the web site allows one to track kilometers and motor replacements. From that data, it appears 2nd generation Bosch motors are quite reliable, with 5,000-20,000km per tracked user begin common, and few needing replacement. None of the 3rd generation (ActiveLine/ActiveLinePlus) motors have been replaced, although few users have more than 5,000km. I don't think the very newest (2020) motors are being tracked yet.

Pulling up other pages, Yamaha also appears reliable, Brose less so, and Bafang mid-motors even less. BTW - To get to the site menu you have to close the ad at the top of the screen.
I have an Bosch Active Line Plus motor on my ebike. Bought it in April 2020 and have 3000 miles or about 5000 kilometers on it. Still whisper quiet and running great. Ed

I have an Bosch Active Line Plus motor on my ebike. Bought it in April 2020 and have 3000 miles or about 5000 kilometers on it. Still whisper quiet and running great. Ed
You bought it in April 2020?

I plan to have "everything wears out' inscribed on my tombstone . . .

I've logged 10,000 miles/16,000 kilometers on my 2017 R&M GX Delite Rohloff HS (Bosch Gen 2 Performance Speed). Crank bearings are tight and no funky motor sounds. So far, so good.

Of interest: Due to the five digit limit on the Intuvia display, once you hit the 10,000 mark on the odometer, it stops showing the decimal reading ie: no tenths, just even miles/kilometers.

Last edited:
My own experience has been very positive. Over 10,000 miles combined on few different bikes and no problem with the drive system.
However, I have had friends who have had their drives replaced around 7-9K miles mark. Apparently, they were using it in high assist all the time and that might have contributed to the premature wear.

My own experience has been very positive. Over 10,000 miles combined on few different bikes and no problem with the drive system.
However, I have had friends who have had their drives replaced around 7-9K miles mark. Apparently, they were using it in high assist all the time and that might have contributed to the premature wear.
That's interesting. I usually use minimal assist so I guess I'm not too worried if I get a Bosch, but on the other hand you would think that it should still be working as that's not exactly high mileage.

My gen 2 on my Haibike trekking 9 has over 15000 and still going strong and my moto-x tires also have 15000 and will go to 20 easily I have not have to adjust any brakes or derailers very strong bike for 2 grand.

I have been using it on turbo assist full time and only computer glitches and my battery still has 90 percent after 5 years and a 1000 charges.

lots f wet can rust the crank bearings. but it usually takes a lot. They can be replaced. I have one bike the bearing rusted bosch replaced the motor with a new out of warranty I had 14,000 miles on it. but ut would be wet for weeks as it would not dry out overnight on my cold garage. our tandem has 11,000 miles on it.

Think MTBing in wet killed two gen 2 CX motors. 3rd upto 8000kms but not lot of MTBing and then in dry. Our two bikes with Gen3 Performance line motors have done 11000kms each and I commute in all weathers.

Edit. Forgot CX HT which did about 10,000kms with no issues was mainll used as commuter before selling. 5000kms on Gen 2 Activeline.
5000kms on Shimano Steps which sold to friend still going strong after 7years probably >20,000km now. She commutes everyday on it. Had some electrical connections issues with battery holder, not unexpected given use it gets. Bike owes her nothing considering amount saved on bus fares.

Last edited:
Back