What do you use for a Helmet? (Pictures Thread)

I just started riding an e-bike. I have other bikes and motorcycles. Bicycle helmets always seemed pretty insubstantial. It seemed to me that a DOT approved motorcycle half helmet ought to be at least as protective, probably more. I am wearing an AFX FX-72 motorcycle helmet. The drop down visor is a major convenience. It's more comfortable to me than the bicycle helmet I have. I guess I'll see if it gets too hot in the summer. Mine's in gloss black to match my Pace 500. http://www.afxhelmets.com/usa/halfHelmet/fx-72/specs.html I got this just for the E bike. All my other motorcycle helmets are full face.
The helmet has a very retro look and is ECE and DOT certified... Well done!

1611465765109.png

I owned 15 motorcycles and always wore full face helmets. I have been riding bikes for 60 years, and have yet to see a cyclist wearing a full face motorcycle helmet. In my opinion, they inhibit your free, unencumbered and agile view to the sides and 3/4 back, Also they greatly reduce your peripheral vision. All of which are of the utmost importance on a bicycle. I rarely ride more that 20 mph on my e-bikes, except down-hill, LOL. I would suggest that the cons of wearing a full face motorcycle helmet on a bicycle far outweigh the pros.

I just started riding an e-bike. I have other bikes and motorcycles. Bicycle helmets always seemed pretty insubstantial. It seemed to me that a DOT approved motorcycle half helmet ought to be at least as protective, probably more. I am wearing an AFX FX-72 motorcycle helmet. The drop down visor is a major convenience. It's more comfortable to me than the bicycle helmet I have. I guess I'll see if it gets too hot in the summer. Mine's in gloss black to match my Pace 500. http://www.afxhelmets.com/usa/halfHelmet/fx-72/specs.html I got this just for the E bike. All my other motorcycle helmets are full face.
Good choice !

I owned 15 motorcycles and always wore full face helmets. I have been riding bikes for 60 years, and have yet to see a cyclist wearing a full face motorcycle helmet. In my opinion, they inhibit your free, unencumbered and agile view to the sides and 3/4 back, Also they greatly reduce your peripheral vision. All of which are of the utmost importance on a bicycle. I rarely ride more that 20 mph on my e-bikes, except down-hill, LOL. I would suggest that the cons of wearing a full face motorcycle helmet on a bicycle far outweigh the pros.
While I totally agree, I’d like to see a good lightweight and ventilated hybrid between a full face motorcycle helmet (with pop up visor) and a bicycle helmet. My Kabuto Kamui would be a good starting point.

Quite a few years ago, one of the motorcycle mags ("Rider" maybe?) devoted considerable resources to researching motorcycle helmets for safety. I believe they worked with one of the research universities, but don't remember which one. Their chief finding was that DOT helmets outperformed Snell certified. Their conclusion was that the Snell helmets were too stiff, and transmitted more force to the brain case than the DOT helmets. The article was very impressive in its thoroughness. As far as I could tell, they had no particular axe to grind, other than weighing helmet safety.

While the motorcycle half-helmet that @BobW wears makes sense (despite being a tad too heavy), bear in mind even professional competing road cyclists (who can ride very fast) don't wear motorcycle helmets. The keyword for cycling is either MIPS (for brain injury protection) or any other e-bike related certification. Examples:

Abus Pedelec+ helmet. Certified with the Dutch NAT8776 standard for S-Pedelecs (45 km/h e-bikes). Weight 360 grams. This helmet protects temples and allows wearing ponytail.

Bell Super Air Spherical R (with MIPS) helmet. Extremely well ventilated full-face helmet for MTB riders. Weight 750 grams.

Cairn I-BRID Rescue snowboarding helmet, ideal for winter. Protecting head and temples, warm, with perfect noise control while allowing to hear the ambient. Weight 506 grams. Don't tell me freestyle snowboard skiers don't need to have their head protected...

In my opinion, wearing a motorcycle helmet even on a speed e-bike is overkill.

While the motorcycle half-helmet that @BobW wears makes sense (despite being a tad too heavy), bear in mind even professional competing road cyclists (who can ride very fast) don't wear motorcycle helmets. The keyword for cycling is either MIPS (for brain injury protection) or any other e-bike related certification. Examples:

In my opinion, wearing a motorcycle helmet even on a speed e-bike is overkill.

If safety is a top concern, certifications are pretty useless. It's a pass fail system for when you want to know which one is *best*. The certification system kept industry from innovating, because why try to ace an exam when you'll still get the same grade as the guy who got a 70% on it?

What athletes do is also pretty irrelevant. Many road cyclists didn't wear any helmet until 2003 when it was required. Plenty of other sports that came very late to wearing helmets (eg hockey) Athletes have more pressure to perform and look good (sponsorships) than you or I do, so safety obviously gets shafted. Thus all the crashes.

If safety is a top concern, certifications are pretty useless. It's a pass fail system for when you want to know which one is *best*. The certification system kept industry from innovating, because why try to ace an exam when you'll still get the same grade as the guy who got a 70% on it?

What athletes do is also pretty irrelevant. Many road cyclists didn't wear any helmet until 2003 when it was required. Plenty of other sports that came very late to wearing helmets (eg hockey) Athletes have more pressure to perform and look good (sponsorships) than you or I do, so safety obviously gets shafted. Thus all the crashes.
I cannot tell anybody Asher to not to wear a motorbike helmet if they want to do so. I only say pretty safe alternatives exist. I'd say maximum what e-bike rider might need is a downhill full face helmet (DH MTBers crash all the time).

I own a brand new FOX Rampage DH helmet size XL I don't use and never wore (I only tried it), original box, all labels still attached to the helmet.

Interested? Just pay DHL shipment to me and it is yours. (Why don't I wear it? Too heavy and tad too narrow for my cheekbones).

I cannot tell anybody Asher to not to wear a motorbike helmet if they want to do so. I only say pretty safe alternatives exist. I'd say maximum what e-bike rider might need is a downhill full face helmet (DH MTBers crash all the time).

I own a brand new FOX Rampage DH helmet size XL I don't use and never wore (I only tried it), original box, all labels still attached to the helmet.

Interested? Just pay DHL shipment to me and it is yours. (Why don't I wear it? Too heavy and tad too narrow for my cheekbones).
Can you easily remove the chin piece?

Can you easily remove the chin piece?
@Dallant: As that's a downhill racing helmet, the chin protector is the integral part of the FOX Rampage and cannot be removed.
Bell Super Air R MIPS Spherical has the chain protector removable but that's not a downhill helmet.

Re motorcycle lids - they possibly make sense if you intend to fail arguments with cars, but I'd be interested to know if the reduced hearing was an issue?

For normal bike speed single vehicle accidents, I'm perfectly happy with the protection of my bell super air mips , or the leatt dbx my daughter wears - both full face with rotational injury reduction. Minimal soft padding, but all I care about is high impact brain protection - not a comfortable blow from passing fists.

I'm NOT impressed with sprog 2's brain box -a liv mtb open face - it meets all the legal standards for australia, has mips, looks like a real helmet...but the chin strap is held between foam and shell by little more than traction!!! It came off when I tried to borrow her lid last week! It's going in the bin next time we visit a bike shop.

Last edited:
I recently took delivery of a POC Tectal. I like how much more coverage there is at the back of the head and temples than my previous helmet which was a Scott ARX. Fit great right out of the box with just a small adjustment needed to the chin strap. I also like that fact that the visor is adjusted by simply turning a small knob at the front of the helmet and doesn't require removing the helmet itself.
IMG_20210517_1812222.jpg

IMG_20210517_1812372.jpg

A bit of background: It gets super hot where I ride, and in 110-degree heat you need lots of vents. So I got a Bell Super3 MIPS mtb helmet to replace my mostly solid-shell urban helmet. The increased ventilation was a miracle. Riding at speed, seeing others' nasty experiences, I bought the chin guard in late November 2017 with the idea being I would only use it in circumstances I felt where the increased danger warranted it. So now it was a Super 3R.

IMG_20171201_070317.jpg

Soon after, I decided it was too much of a PITA to put the guard on and take it off, so I left it on and lived with the goofy look.

Two weeks later, I was t-boned by an inattentive motorist (in the bike lane, 15 mph accelerating slowly from a complete stop, driver was stopped in a parking lot ramp looking at me, but it turns out she was looking thru me despite three Niterider headlights).

So, I fly up thru the air Superman style, which was kinda neat, but on the downward arc at that speed I knew I was in deep s*it. I landed on my head and kept skidding on my head as my body arc'd over to eventually slam onto the pavement and flop around to a stop. During that body arc, while my head was 'anchored' to the ground, I felt MIPS doing its job in real time as my head and body turned but the helmet did not.

During the flopping-and-flailing phases as I came to a boneless stop, my right eye vision got all fuzzy. Turns out it wasn't my eye. It was the eyeglass lens. As my face bounced around inside the helmet, at some point I came very VERY close to the pavement with my eye socket. And my eyeglasses. Note the lens is scratched but the frames are pretty much not. That was the chin guard saving me from reconstructive surgery at the least.

IMG_20171212_222228.jpg

And the helmet was... well, smashed. The initial impact and slide on the top of my head shattered it, and you can see the scrape marks. the outer shell creased but remained intact. I had two cuts on my noggin from plastic fragments but otherwise my head and neck were uninjured. However, I pretty much sprained *everything* and split some ribs, and trashed my wrists. Still, I got off easy.

IMG_20171212_220007.jpg

I bought exactly the same helmet as a replacement. Recently I decided the Bell Super3 DH was enough of a tech improvement to buy one. Instead of the thin plastic MIPS membrane, the new one has an entire secondary inner super duper styrofoam liner that does the same job, but provides an added layer of protection. Its a little bigger so the Kazoo effect is there to a degree, but its a worthwhile upgrade.

I use a Thousands helmet for daily riding, but I have several including full face downhill helmets. The DH helmet is great protection and comfortable to wear, but hot in summer if you aren't moving fast. Also inhibits drinking, and can affect communications because it covers my ears and partially restricts my mouth. I would not reccomend it for riders unless they needed the extra protection specifically, such as advanced osteoporosis, etc.

blue_bike_helmet_003_600x.jpg

I also concur that skiing and snowboard helmets could be used for ideas for future bike designs. I have a Smith ski helmet that I used for everything from skiing to rescue work (SAR) and snowmobiling, and it was a pretty good all-rounder with impact protection at least as good as most bicycle helmets. Older version of this one, and there are lighter more ventilated analogues in their line.

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/smith-vantage-mips-mens-ski-snowboard-helmet-2020-21-333278635.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szkTqN4v7XMcu1oEl8wqAhgwpsbx8gclCZ37McjiANng1xxpUlKGlBxoCmrgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#333278635[color]=333278635_01

FGL_333278635_01_a-Smith-Vantage-MIPS-Mens-Ski-Snowboard-Helmet-2020-21-E006759KS55

And looking further at competitive downhill skiing, and they have some nice lightweight models that use very minimal chin bars. The bars are primarily meant to deflect gates and flags away from the face, but do help when you are tumbling or take a big face first dive. POC even makes a break-away version that can be adjusted or tuned to come away at a certain impact level to help absorb those big one time hits and prevent additional injury to the face and neck. This would be quite unobtrusive in daily use, and still allow you to drink and talk freely.

https://na.pocsports.com/products/maxilla-breakaway-system?utm_source=redirect&utm_medium=organic

MAXILLA_hydrogenWhite-1_1_104d0c70-d218-40a7-ba00-2f8261a4aba9_1200x.jpg

10178_ArticSL360SPIN_1001_HydrogenWhite_left_1200x.png

I like the snowboarding/ski helmets with the minimal chinbar, but they would be too hot for biking. It would be nice if they had a highly vented helmet compatible with the chin bar for summer biking

Bell Super3 MIPS
What a story! It clearly tells us how valuable a good helmet is for personal safety!

Let me tell you all of a latest experience of my female friend. She rode her new Como 5, a virgin ride indeed. And she rode onto a large unleashed dog (who got unharmed). My friend was flying over the bars as if she were a ski-jumper and she fell face down. Yes, he wore a basic helmet but no chin-guard of course. She was very lucky - her face could have gotten a worse hit. If she had the chin protector, her face might be unscathed totally.

My own choices (I'm repeating myself):
  • A good snowboarding helmet for the cold season. Looking strange on a cyclist but I don't care. A great feature is total temple protection (and it is very warm).
  • Spring/Autumn: Abus Pedelec+. This helmet is certified for S-Pedelecs or 45 km/h e-bikes in Europe.
  • Summer: Bell Super Air R Mips Spherical. Yes it has the chin protector. As m@Robertson said, excellent ventilation and great safety ensured.

Back