What are YOUR reasons for owning an Additional Ebike ?

CSH

I'm considering owing more then one ebike. 🚲 🚲

I am curious, for those of you who do have an additional ebike,
What are YOUR Reasons ? (example: One with mid-drive, One with hub-drive ?)

As always........... Love the Collective "Gray Matter" here.
Thanks,
Craig :cool:

I own 3, to try to keep at least one running at all times. Tell my wife 1 is for her and a 3rd for friends and spare as needed but i think she knows the truth i am riding hers more than any of the others

The best reason for owning more than 1 bike... because the correct answer is always N+1! ;)

I also like to have 2 bikes so I can introduce friends to the benefits of eBikes with a nice test ride.
1574529026172.png

1574528954675.png

Attachments

• 1574528688987.png
    1574528688987.png
    250.2 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
I ride many different conditions, so 6. Two fat tire eBikes for winter fun with our adult kids, fat tire tadpole recumbent eTrike with a pair of 20ah battery packs for long distance gravel rail trail rides, full suspension eMTB for single trail riding, trekking eBike for long distance road trips, and low rider cruiser eBike for slow club cruises and parades. Over 9,000 combined miles for all of them. My main activity during retirement.

The XM700 is my road bike. It's set up for comfort. Suspension seat post and suspension front forks. I use it for occasional commuting and for long weekend rides on the bike paths. The Powerfly FS 5 is for exploring dirt roads and single track. For eMountain Bike rides I can ride from the house and be on dirt in a couple of miles, but because once on dirt I tend to go quite a bit slower I like to take my dog along with me. About a 20 minute drive from where I live there's a great area that has dirt roads where I can run my dog with a bikejoring setup or just let him run loose while I climb singletrack.

The cargo bike for daily errands & running around. Needs electricity because 25 mph in my face over 30 miles can make for a 6 hour day. Otherwise I pedal.
The electric tandem is for picking up a helper out near summer camp to repair my tractor. He has asthma, won't ride a bike the 6 miles, and his mother can't drive him anymore. He's stuck out there unemployed. I'd use my $50000 pickup, but I don't have one. I left the $50000 in the stock market where it is doing well, thank you. In case my heart does last another 35 years to when a Subway footlong is $35. Or I get dementia age 88 like 2 grandparents and need a care home. Only 19 years to that deadline.

Each of my two ebikes have different "jobs". The Class 2 (front hub conversion on a vintage hybrid) does road litter pickup patrol of anywhere from 4 to 10 miles of roads pulling a modded kiddie trailer at least twice a month. In the winter the bike comes inside (without the trailer) and is put on the trainer for inside winter workouts. The Class 1 (PAS) is for recreational and group rides. Averages about 300 miles a month. Both bikes have two batteries each to extend their ranges.

My next ebike will be a Class 3. Waiting for the new battery technology to be developed and arrive before I take the N+1 plunge again.

Last edited:
I own three. One for me, one for my wife and the third "guest" bike for friends and relatives. The third also serves as a spare in case one of the others is in the shop. All three bikes are the same brand but set up differently to suit conditions and rider preferences. I use the batteries from the other bikes as spares when on solo extended riding trips.

I have an Orbea Gain for when I want to get more exercise and get a more nimble ride and an Eglide SS, a single speed with throttle, when I'm feeling lazy/tired and want a bike that requires less concentration, fiddling, and effort to ride. I'm glad I have them both instead of one bike trying to do different things.

I'm a snowbird with homes in a relatively flat area in the north, and a very hilly coastal area in Fl. My second bike (third if I count the wife's bike), when and if I decide to get one, is going to be set up for hills. It will feature a GMAC gear driven hub and variable regen brakes. This will allow the current bike to be set up and used solely for the flat lands. Current bike has a MAC gear driven rear hub, so no regen available. Would be SO nice to have the regen available for coming down the hills, and a gear drive for climbing them....

We own four ebikes, all Bosch powered so batteries are interchangeable among them. One is my wife's who rides with me once or twice a week. One is for guests. When another couple is visiting we have enough ebikes to accommodate all four of us.

I ride two bikes. For everyday errands, bopping around town, grocery shopping, and gentle touring, I ride a Riese & Muller Homage Rohloff High Speed (class 3). I usually ride the Homage with regular clothing. I am putting around 300 miles a month on this bike.

For my two or three weekly group rides with my roady friends, I ride a Riese & Muller Mountain with a de-restricted CX motor, Super Moto X tires and fenders. This is a very peppy, athletic bike that accelerates quickly and provides assisted speeds as fast as I can pedal. On group rides I am frequently providing a draft to the fastest riders, clipping along at 24-28mph with two or more riders tight behind me. They call that motor pacing. I usually wear roady style bike wear on the Delight. This bike is ridden around 400-500 miles per month.

For the next +1, I am vacillating between a e-road bike (probably a Trek Domaine_+) or a cargo bike (likely a Riese & Muller Load).

20190503_171118.jpg

I'm considering owing more then one ebike. 🚲 🚲

I am curious, for those of you who do have an additional ebike,
What are YOUR Reasons ? (example: One with mid-drive, One with hub-drive ?)

As always........... Love the Collective "Gray Matter" here.
Thanks,
Craig :cool:

Ugh. I'm starting to lose count although I'm about to put a couple up for sale. Anyway, for me it is a two-part answer. One is different bikes for different purposes. The Tern Vektron allows me to put a bike in the trunk of our compact hybrid and carpool with my wife to work in order to ride home. The Tern GSD allows us to do all of our grocery runs and many other errands over the warm months by bicycle. It is also the occasional commuter. The R&M and Haibike are the primary commuters, allowing me to ride at higher speeds and longer distances and are set up for riding in the dark and for being able to carry what I need for work (locking panniers, handlebar bags ... carry change of clothes, laptop, locks and cables). The second part of the answer is e-bikes have grabbed me the way other tech fads, trends or developments have not. I know or care little about what is going on with smartphones, laptops etc. But seeing the changes and improvements and the expansion in choices in e-bikes just over the last few years has made me want to try the new tech or experiment with different setups (ie the Rohloff or a belt drive ...). So I guess to some extent the e-biking has developed into my primary hobby.

I ride many different conditions, so 6. Two fat tire eBikes for winter fun with our adult kids, fat tire tadpole recumbent eTrike with a pair of 20ah battery packs for long distance gravel rail trail rides, full suspension eMTB for single trail riding, trekking eBike for long distance road trips, and low rider cruiser eBike for slow club cruises and parades. Over 9,000 combined miles for all of them. My main activity during retirement.
Sweet!!! Rock on rich c,Rock on!

I have 2 ebikes and a etrike. I bought the trike for my wife after a back injury and other health problems made it impossible for her to continue riding her ebike. I kept her ebike (a Blix Aveny) rather than selling it in case she is ever able to ride it again. In the meantime, my daughter uses the Aveny to join us on a ride now and then.

I'm a snowbird with homes in a relatively flat area in the north, and a very hilly coastal area in Fl. My second bike (third if I count the wife's bike), when and if I decide to get one, is going to be set up for hills. It will feature a GMAC gear driven hub and variable regen brakes. This will allow the current bike to be set up and used solely for the flat lands. Current bike has a MAC gear driven rear hub, so no regen available. Would be SO nice to have the regen available for coming down the hills, and a gear drive for climbing them....

I wanted to be able to support customers as well as possible. SO I built and road 8 different motor brands or types. 5 are going up for sale this spring at silly low prices. Sans batteries.

I know I can only ride one bike at a time but I still want many more ebikes of all types. If I won the lotto today I would probably become the Jay Leno of ebikes . Soon enough I will be thinking less about ebikes and more about mobility scooters but for now there are so many radically different styles of ebike that appeal for different purposes. For example compare the heavy R+M Load which is like a Semi- trailer truck ,down to something like the Gocycle GS which you can carry with you just about anywhere. My list would include drop bar racers , comfort cruisers , long range tourers , etrikes, tiny foldups , true downhill full suspension ebikes , tandems etc. Heck I even want a couple of escooters like the Segway Ninebot and Xiaomi 365. Why not throw in an E- unicycle ( as opposed to a Eunuch-cycle ). To answer your question , greed and joy would be my reasons.

I'm a kit hobbyist. Putting together an ebike replaces my old hobby of modifying my miata. Cheaper, and easier. Hub motors are not much money, and one can move batteries around.

A few more have been added since the last group portrait.

View attachment 41864
View attachment 41863
Love your Miata, post a picture of that! You can have an ebike in the background to keep it on thread! Used to have a 96, best car I ever owned.

Back