Western North Carolina hates electric mountain bikes.

Neverlost99

I live in Brevard and I’ve been looking to electrify my ride but there’s almost no place to ride. The DuPont forest says no. The trails in the national forest service says no. What do you guys do for riding in the Asheville brevard area? It seems so strange to live in such a progressive place and be stuck with such outdated ideas regarding transportation and the impact of electric bicycles on the environment. I’m literally very frustrated as there’s plenty of country blacktop but I like cruising reasonably accessed trails not gnarly single track. The Kanuga bike park is a bike friendly but I’m 70 years old and that’s a bit much I believe.

Although not guaranteed, you should be able to ride anywhere a bicycle can ride. Who is going to stop you? The most risky ebike per most government rules could be a class 2/throttle control because they are so close to a motor scooter.
Ask your local bike shops where you can ride.

Although not guaranteed, you should be able to ride anywhere a bicycle can ride. Who is going to stop you? The most risky ebike per most government rules could be a class 2/throttle control because they are so close to a motor scooter.
Ask your local bike shops where you can ride.
Our shops post that our large forest areas prohibit them. They will fine you $100 on top of the rental if ticketed.

With some of these new stealth looking ebikes I can't even tell the difference. But if your ebike looks like a ebike I'd just risk it. Unless your bombing thru the trail at Class 3 speeds I really don't think anyone would give you a ticket. Maybe a warning though.

And this might be the time to round up other senior riders and reach out to the Forest Service. See if you can change the rules. Not everyone (I'm in my early 50's and I know I can't) ride into a large park and ride all day. Good luck on your mission if you choose to accept it and keep us posted of your findings/results.

National Forests are not National Parks. Regulations vary by agency and to a lesser extent by region as well. So you need to check.

I will say that nearly all USFS roads will allow street legal e-bikes, and many of those roads are interesting, scenic, and very lightly traveled. Also, a lot of obstacles that make a road hopelessly impassable to even the stoutest 4WD rig are easily traversed with any bicycle. My recommendation is do some research (grab some maps, maybe make a Sunday afternoon scouting drive, ask around about road conditions, &c).

Just some free tips. I took a look at Google Maps and found some places that I'd check out if I were in the area...
  1. Bent Creek Gap on the BRP has roads running north and south from it. The road running south looks more promising and you should be able to put a tour of 30 miles or so together from there.
  2. Just SW of you in Brevard, State Road 1338 connects into a promising network of forest roads.

USFS- Ebikes are allowed on motorized roads, no where else here in VA( which really blows because they do not even grade the roads anymore, the mtn road I ride is full of big rocks and loose surfaces.Dangerous took a spill the other day.
The restrictions on hiking trails do not make any sense because Horses tear up things worse than sanely-ridden Ebikes that are not electric motorcycles in disguise.

I haven't read any of the regs but I think, as others have said, there is a distinction between roads and trails. Basically, I think any kind of bike can go anywhere a car can go. Some of those roads are pretty good, some can get pretty gnarly. You ususally won't see a lot of traffic regardless. Trails meant for hikers and horses may be off limits for bikes, whether that makes sense or not.

Some "roads" are impassable except maybe by 4WD. I'm thinking of the lower end of Hurricane Creek Road in Harmon Den WMA. It's fun for 4WD but I don't think it would be a great mtb road. Not much slope and generally too much mud. It would be a challenge though. And you have to deal with a lot of pretty country to get there.

TT

You are not alone trail access "attitude" is country wide. Whereas in some areas nobody gives a darn and in others there will be resistance to "new" trail users.

A friend of a friend that lives in Missoula, MT reports that even though he rides an SL type mtb and is in his early 70's he gets grief from other trail users and has even made attempts to bring people together with a demo day and no one even showed up......My prediction is that it will be a slow process but eBikes are on the radar and access will follow the upward trend.

I have to think there are some forest service roads in Pisgah you could ride? Not mtb trails, but dirt/gravel roads. Might not hurt to reach out to the nearest FS Ranger office and ask them where you can ride in the national forest.

I intend to come out your way soonish, but I was going to camp out and ride up to Max Patch, maybe head over to Wolf Creek Falls, and that area. I've driven Hurricane Creek and tons of other roads/trails in the area in my 4WD and while not challenging, they could be fun on an ebike.

Although if I lived in Brevard, I'd just ride over to Oskar Blues every day. ;) BTW is their REEB Ranch generally open? I know they have trails etc.

A bike is a bike is a bike. The only way to fight discriminatory laws to flout them. Don't the ba$tards grind you down.

I was out in Brevard last year in May, riding the DuPont Forest trails. Nobody said a word to me about my ebike. I was riding with non-ebike friends. Probably put on 40 miles over two days, all single track. My advice - just ride until someone official tells you otherwise.

Back