Weird idea : putting a suspension fork on my Synapse Néo 2 ..

Yayabike

Region
Europe
I know that the idea may seem a bit weird but last week end I tested a mountain bike and I was amazed by its ability, Despite a probably poor driver (i do quite some cycling but not much mountain biking) i manage to climb super steep, rocky narrow paths, not simple what american call fire road but "goat paths". The bike was the EST 900 by decathlon and i was super impressed by what i was able to do. So i may end up buying a MTB later a regular one.
But while testing i also took the car raods and i was really surprised too. Of course the bike was slow and inefficient, due to large tyre and real friction above 26km/h in the brose engine and other considerations like my position on the bike etc ...
But I could cross the speed bumps as if they were flat and i could almost ignore the road potholes (which are many).
So, not only it was more pleasant but it was also much safer.
So .... I don't really want to commute on an EMTB, my orbea vibe and my synapse néo 2 are almost perfect for that and they would be perfect if the road were better.
Both have large enough tyres, 32 for the synapse neo 2 which is almost a gravel (it can easily do fire tracks) and even more for the Vibe.
So one idea is that adding a suspension fork could turn them into real hybrid.
But there are many questions :
- First is it possible ? There must be issues with the geometry but also the tubes section. As example i have never seen a bike with a diamant shape frame and dropoff handle bars with a suspension (this is for the synapse). And Orbéa does not offer a version of the vide with a supension fork.
- second what could be the drawbacks ? I know that the aestetic may suffer and that i may have to do some cable adjustement, and of course it will add some weight. But I may ignore some negative aspects.
So any feedback, advices are welcome.

real friction above 26km/h in the brose engine
Not correct :) It is the lack of assistance you perceive as the motor drag. Fancy that: You are probably getting as much of assistance as you put in the cranks yourself. Above 25 km/h, you lose that incredible motor power. No, it is not the motor drag. It is "no assistance". Try climbing an overpass with high assistance. In the middle of the climb, switch the assistance OFF. What would you feel? No, it is not the motor drag. It is the gravity. And on the flat? It is called "air drag".

Replacing a rigid fork with a suspension one on a road bike is day-dreaming. The only road e-bike with a special suspension fork I know of is the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon LEFTY, with the "lefty" one-sided short travel suspension fork. Actually, a bike needs to be designed for specific fork to maintain the proper geometry, so the frame and the fork together are called "frameset". There is great freedom of suspension fork selection only in the MTB world, where the things are standardized, and long-travel forks can be easily swapped. Not for road or hybrid bikes, unfortunately.

If you want to improve your experience, just go for the Redshift ShockStop suspension stem. It has been designed for drop-bar and flat-bar bikes, and it works excellently. I have been using the Redshift stem for a year on my Vado SL and am delighted.

Regarding the rear suspension. If your seat-tube is 27.2 mm, I greatly recommend the Redshift ShockStop seat-post. If your seat-tube is of a different diameter (like 30.9 mm or other sizes), Cirrus Cycles Kinect 2.1 is the equal performer.

Back