One "bad ideas" build under my belt, many more to go!

seaward

Region
USA
Hi All,

Ignoring all common sense and the remonstrations of my local bike mechanic, I converted a beach cruiser to electric. Before and after pics attached. I call it the "bad ideas" build because when I took it into the bike shop and told the mechanic what I had planned, they said "ok, you have several bad ideas going here". Lol. As I learned, they were right on a lot of counts, but not all. Below are the basic specs. I have found it to be a blast to bomb around on! Though, the fear it may fly apart at any moment probably adds to the exhilaration. :)

Bafang BBSHD 1000w
52v 20Ah battery
Chopper style fork
Front disk brake
Layback seat

I'll post a thread of the build at some point.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 146
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 140
Welcome to the site and the hobby.
Looks like a sturdy bike to me. Brake upgrade is good planning.
Most US businessmen are not interested in discussing any project they can't make a profit on. I limit my words to the local bike shop owner, to whether he has in stock the size and type of tire I need. He has never looked out the door to see my bike despite my wearing a lime green reflective stripe vest into the store. No bike frame in his store fits me except the pink single speed with a logo of Holly Hobbie on the seat. Oh, I think he varied it once with a Strawberry Shortcake model. I'm male; ride the small long drop frame bike left in the avatar.

I see a coaster brake originally? Still there, but no longer works on the conversion?
Take care trying to stop fast with only the disk brake up front.

Yep. That is correct. Just the front brake currently. Rear coaster is still technically there, but does not function with the BBSHD. One of the factors contributing to the exhilarating ride!

I do have a new disc ready rear wheel on order. Will require an adapter, since the frame has no mounting points.

You see why this is called the "bad ideas" build? :)

Chris

I've used this adapter on the rear of a frame, and also on a front fork to attach disk brake calipers. My machine shop comsists of a sawzall, a vise, and a drill press.

It was designed as a thru hole bracket for gas powered bikes. I cut a slot in it to line up with the notch on the frame dropouts and positioned it so it could be bolted to the frame. It's CNC aluminum. Just a matter of removing some extra material, locating it on the frame, and mounting it. It's mpre suited though for a motor mount.

Here's one that can be used on a regular wheel without any machine work. It clamps onto your dropout, and the wheel axle, skewer or nuts, is torqued down on the metal plate to hold it.

While it worked, I wanted mine to be tighter, so I attached it to the frame with screws. Picture shows a mechanical caliper, but I later switched it to a hydraulic plus hose.

2-bracket.jpg 3_bracket.jpg

Back