Wave E-bike 499$ (another Storm/Indiegogo)

There is a facebook group for it. Many people claim they have not received it yet and those who have, some are happy and others are not. Consensus seems to be that it is a real cheap bike with many quality issues with the bikes. Support is slow or non-existent

I have one. It's definitely pretty cheap. If you are fairly comfortable tuning up your bike though, it's not unredeemable. Plenty of power. I don't think I could have easily put together the parts for the price. Even if I end up replacing a few things I think it was a good purchase for my needs. I'm 6'2" and 280# so need something fairly beefy and didn't want to go all-in for thousands on my first e-bike because I'm not really sure how much I'll use it. Commute is 22 miles on unpleasant roads, so that's not likely to happen. All that said, I probably wouldn't get one today. I got in early when it was cheaper and before there was actual proof how big a pair of slackers the guys running the thing are.

I just finished assembling a Wave E-bike and the results are not good. First of all, one of the saddle springs had worked loose in shipping and one of the rubber tips on the kickstand had fallen off. Then I discovered that the bike came with cantilever type brake levers that don't really work with the provided rear v-brake. Because, the brake levers have the throttle overrides built in, I couldn't change out the cheap brake levers to V-brake compatible levers. Even with the brake pads set alarmingly close to the rim, you can hardly get any braking out of the rear brake. Moving on to the front brake, it seemed like the brake tab for the disc brakes had been poorly aligned when welded on. I had to add spacers to the axle to shift over the wheel enough so that the brake caliper would not rub the rotor. Further, the brake pads were only about 50% in contact with the rotor with the supplied adaptor. Moving on to the wheels, the nipples on the rear wheel were very low quality and had numerous factory defects. One of the nipples had only 1.5mm of tool flats. The spokes on the rear wheel came very loose and because the nipples were defective, I risked rounding out them out to bring the spokes up to a safer tension. Bottom line, this bike comes across as a poorly put together prototype rather than a finished product. The glaring defects on the mechanical side alone would cost hundreds of dollars to fix.

I haven't bought an ebike yet but I've succumbed to the feeling that I will get screwed when I buy my first one. At 12 buck an hour I dont think i can afford the screw up.

Back