Bikepacking with an E-Bike

3.5kg is 2nd battery, then there is its lock and connector say another 0.5kg.
The weight is for the bike with the 2nd battery. It is not an add-on. There is no additional lock, as it has one attached to the bike. Same setup in fact as on my Surly.

If I swap out the seat post and convert the rims to tubeless, I may lose a few grams. That said I am not doing that for weight saving.

Yes. Actually Chargers have apparently lost a few grams since I purchased mine in 2018.

They are good bikes. Heavy, which means you'll hit 75kph on pretty modest downhills. Very stiff bike. Probably still one of the best choices for a loaded touring e-bike.
The only one I could find available here with two integrated batteries, racks and lights, etc and reasonably wide tyres for the gravel/single-track riding that I like to do on tour. The Focus Adventura 6.9 was the next best option from what I could find.

The weight is for the bike with the 2nd battery. It is not an add-on. There is no additional lock, as it has one attached to the bike. Same setup in fact as on my Surly.

If I swap out the seat post and convert the rims to tubeless, I may lose a few grams. That said I am not doing that for weight saving.
I was trying to show its not much heavier than average ebike. When you remove 4kg for 2nd battery configuration then its more like a 25kg single battery ebike.

... racks ...
Actually one of my big Pet Peeves about touring e-bikes is the fact that you can't really install third party racks, especially front racks, on most e-bikes that would otherwise be decent candidates for touring or bicycle travel.

I also Do Not Understand why no e-bike manufacturer has been smart enough to see the possibilities of the Wren Inverted Fork for front carries.

One thing that has always been kind of Wrong about the Charger is that the front rack is basically a useless liability. But it is nice to carry stuff forward and having a design that would support that would be a big improvement.

One thing that has always been kind of Wrong about the Charger is that the front rack is basically a useless liability. But it is nice to carry stuff forward and having a design that would support that would be a big improvement.
I brought it for domestic use (shopping etc), and it is most likely I will remove it when touring.

Last edited:
I brought it for domestic use (shopping etc), and it is most likely I will remove it when touring.
Those front racks are usually limited to 3kg. To be able to carry larger loads safely you need to have some kind of attachment to the front fork. If you can carry 8-10kg on the front that makes a big difference.

Back