Wanted: Lightweight (less than 20kg), high Torque (90NM), Motor offering large amount of power 500w+, removable large battery

Hi everyone
I hope you're all well. I'm trying to find the lightest (13kg without battery), high Torque (90NM), Motor offering large amount of power 500w+, removable large battery possible.
My current bike is 13kg and I can just about lift it up the steep, 45 degree steps into our house. I know I can get great heavier bikes but i've really struggled with the weight of these when trialing them with the walk assist feature.
I need to carry up to 10kg of weight in panniers or in a ruck sac up very steep hills so need a powerful motor and a lot of torque. (I'm still learning about all of this but tried 60nm) and felt i still had to put in a lot of effort on the hills which would just put me off using the bike so it needs to be something manageable.
I've tried a Focus Paralane2 which was lovely and light and about 60nm so pretty good up hills but has no rack and Focus advised against me adding one.
Also, an Ezego commute which was lovely, but struggled up the hills and the walk assist failed up the steps. The 20kg weight was really difficult for me to manage.
So, i'm looking for light and powerful. I know it'll be pricey but am looking for realistic suggestions.
Can anyone make any suggestions? I'm learning lots as I go along from some lovely bike shop owners but I'm not quite there with having found my dream, practical bike yet.
Thank you

I don't think your bike exists. Lighter bikes will have lower power and torque and integrated batteries that are not easily removed. If your current 13kg bike works for you why not something like this?

I'm not sure that such an ebike exists. There are bikes like the new Vado SL that are light-weight, but is half the power you're looking for and it's still 15kg. Turbo Creo SL weighs in at 26.8 lbs (12.15 kg), but again the powers isn't at the level you're looking for and you're going to spend $13,500 + tax.

So are you looking for a 20kg bike or 13kg bike?

sorry I'm a bit confused..

I'm assuming 13kg without the battery and 20kg with the battery?
Hi Timpo
13kg without the battery as I know I can lift that weight up steps. With battery it can be more but I am used to riding fairly lightweight bikes. Thanks

Last edited:
Wow! This looks amazing but i'm not sure I have the confidence to go for it. Do you know anyone who has?

I don't think your bike exists. Lighter bikes will have lower power and torque and integrated batteries that are not easily removed. If your current 13kg bike works for you why not something like this?

You realize the link you've shown is for a DIY kit and not an ebike?

Honestly, this upcoming ebike comes about as close as possible, with today's technology: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ifting-shipping-july.33992/page-5#post-279953

The downside is it will weigh 50 pounds, or around 40 pounds with the battery out.
Weight-wise, the Specialized Vado SL meets your needs, except for the power. There is a big difference between 245W and 500W.

Wow! This looks amazing but i'm not sure I have the confidence to go for it. Do you know anyone who has?
Nobody has it yet. Indieogogo is what is called crowd-funding project. May or may not come to be.

"Prototype. The project team has a working demo, not the final product. Their ability to begin production may be affected by product development or financial challenges."

I have been looking for such a bike for many many months.
Please post what you find.

You realize the link you've shown is for a DIY kit and not an ebike?

Honestly, this upcoming ebike comes about as close as possible, with today's technology: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ifting-shipping-july.33992/page-5#post-279953

The downside is it will weigh 50 pounds, or around 40 pounds with the battery out.
Weight-wise, the Specialized Vado SL meets your needs, except for the power. There is a big difference between 245W and 500W.

As much respect as I have for Pushkar, I am a bit cool on this offering. The M600 motor has some shortcomings (noisy with metal reduction gear, below par torque sensing, no aftermarket controller (yet) like the Ultra, no phone app or programming options). It also appears to be assembled in China and I am not sure it will have the same refinement and quality as WW builds to date.

Regardless, she is in UK so I doubt this bike will work for her. I assume she wants a UK complaint pedlec, with 250W nominal (500W peak) and decent torque. I think Brose offers up to 90nm on the Mag S motor but these tend to be used on eMTB like the Turbo Vado. Most of the lighter pedlec bikes in Europe seem to be focusing on lighter weight motors with less torque and power.

That has a Bosch performacne line motor (65nm torque) but I think it might be adequate. You could also look at the Moustache Dimanche 29 with Bosch performance motor. I think they are well under 20kg with battery.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
I hope you're all well. I'm trying to find the lightest (13kg without battery), high Torque (90NM), Motor offering large amount of power 500w+, removable large battery possible.
My current bike is 13kg and I can just about lift it up the steep, 45 degree steps into our house. I know I can get great heavier bikes but i've really struggled with the weight of these when trialing them with the walk assist feature.
I need to carry up to 10kg of weight in panniers or in a ruck sac up very steep hills so need a powerful motor and a lot of torque. (I'm still learning about all of this but tried 60nm) and felt i still had to put in a lot of effort on the hills which would just put me off using the bike so it needs to be something manageable.
I've tried a Focus Paralane2 which was lovely and light and about 60nm so pretty good up hills but has no rack and Focus advised against me adding one.
Also, an Ezego commute which was lovely, but struggled up the hills and the walk assist failed up the steps. The 20kg weight was really difficult for me to manage.
So, i'm looking for light and powerful. I know it'll be pricey but am looking for realistic suggestions.
Can anyone make any suggestions? I'm learning lots as I go along from some lovely bike shop owners but I'm not quite there with having found my dream, practical bike yet.
Thank you

Can I ask why the need for the big battery?

Your weight requirements put you squarely in the categories of:
  1. lean, light road-focused performance machines like the Alpine Hawk, Orbea Gain, Parlane as you mention, or Turbo Creo - which the balance the demands of 'serious' cyclists for lightweight assistance with lower torque and power outputs, or
  2. lean, stripped down hub bikes like the FLX, Desiknio or Propella - which make their weight and budget savings by basic gearing, small batteries and weaker hub motors.
If you can bump up to 40 lb you'll tick all your other boxes with offerings like the Yamaha's, as @Timpo mentioned above. Punchy motor and full sized battery. Otherwise you should find something in that first category of 'serious' road bikes that will take the necessary commuter accoutrements IF you're willing to assist the lower outputs with some higher leg input.

I've tried a Focus Paralane2 which was lovely and light and about 60nm so pretty good up hills

This has a fauza evation motor which is a bit underpowered. While nominal motor output is 250W (they are all magically 250W nominal to comply with the regs), I think peak output is only 400W. Note Court's review of a bike with the fauza system he indicates:

In my experience, the Fazua Evation drive system feels weak compared to other mainstream ebikes, it doesn’t provide the same zippy feel when starting or maintain higher speeds as easily, it’s a Class 1 system that is limited to 20mph with a maximum pedal cadence of 80 RPM verses 100 to 120+ RPM offered by Bosch, Yamaha, Brose, Shimano, and Bafang

I think if you went with a performance mid drive from one of the other motor brands you would be fine (even without 90nm torque) as they put out 500W (or more) peak power.

Also, an Ezego commute which was lovely, but struggled up the hills

I believe these use rear hub motors which struggle on hills due to not being able to use the bike's gears and further handicapped by the 250W nominal limit in the UK. You will do much better with a 250W mid drive since it can leverage the bike's gears (unlike rear hub motors). In the US rear hub motors are more popular as they are inexpensive and the nominal limit is 750W so much more power can be delivered to offset the disadvantages on hills.

Last edited:
Is it a good idea to put a BBSHD on a carbon frame? A lot of carbon frames have press fit BBs, will a BBSHD work with a press fit BB? Not many metal frames with less expensive components that weigh 16.7 lbs or less. Besides I think she wants a factory bike, not a kit.

The OP hasn't said what her budget is, but buying something like a $12k Trek Emonda and putting a BBSHD on it just seems weird, if it's even possible. If she's going to spend that much on a bike then might as well just get something like a Creo. Yes, it doesn't have the power she specified, but given how light the bike is I'm wondering if she would need that kind of power. I mean 500 watts on a bike that light, does she really need to go so fast she'd drop the entire pro peloton up a mountain?

Actually come to think of it the BMC Alpenchallenge might come pretty close to what she wants.

I don't know if I'd get caught up with the torque number.. Tern GSD for example, is rated at 400 lb cargo capacity and has Bosch mid drive.. which is like 75Nm of torque. It will carry your 10kg (22 lb) of cargo just fine.
Thanks for your reply. I'm still learning about torque etc. The main thing is that I want tons of support up the hills when i'm knackered carrying heavy things home after work. Would you say the motor is more relevant and what should I go for? Thanks Timpo

Technically possible I suppose. Would be quite expensive and would you want to ride one of those Litespeed bikes with a 500+ watt motor and rim brakes? I'm thinking with that much power hydraulic discs are a must.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea though.

Great hill climbing ability - I think that means either a big hub motor = heavy motor and heavy battery; or a mid-drive. How many factory mid-drives are 500+ watts?

She is in the UK, so unless she wants an ebike doesn’t meet the regulations (250W nominal) a BBSHD is off the table.

Back