Vado SL 5.0 -- reasonable range on hills? (Mt. Diablo, CA)

OMG! how did i not know about this app!?!? it's actually got really great metrics - motor power stats, time in various modes, rider power zones, weighted averages! the time spent in various modes is really cool, as is the motor power graph. i've always wanted that data.

View attachment 101243 View attachment 101251 View attachment 101245 View attachment 101246
How does this app compare with Blevo? I use my Garmin 130 while on my rides but I run Blevo on my iPhone and look at the stats after the ride. I like the battery and power data Blevo gives but it’s inaccurate with elevation gain and some of the mileage markers. I also read that it won‘t work with the newest version of the Specialized SL electronics or possible Mission Control updates, so I’d like to find an alternative and wonder if RIDE gives similar data to Blevo.

How does this app compare with Blevo? I use my Garmin 130 while on my rides but I run Blevo on my iPhone and look at the stats after the ride. I like the battery and power data Blevo gives but it’s inaccurate with elevation gain and some of the mileage markers. I also read that it won‘t work with the newest version of the Specialized SL electronics or possible Mission Control updates, so I’d like to find an alternative and wonder if RIDE gives similar data to Blevo.
I don't use BLEVO so I can't comment. The elevation numbers vary wildly from Ride With GPS, which I tend to think is more accurate. Since I am only competing with myself the absolute accuracy of any of this is less important to me than having an apples to apples way to compare one ride to the next, hoping that I am using a little less 2X me and a little more Just Me. For that its just fine, I focus on average watts, battery usage and the watts/mile as general indicators of how hard I worked. And most importantly how sore I am the next day.

Is it possible Scott that Specialized Ride app was made for older e-bikes such as Turbo S? It is because Specialized doesn't mention it in any new marketing materials.

Im not sure Stephan. I can't remember how I discovered it, I know it was on one of the forums somewhere. It seems to work fine on my Vado SL 5.0. I haven't compared the results from RIDE and Mission Control but they seem pretty close. Here are data from a ride couple of days ago. I just pay attention to the one that makes me look the youngest......

Ride with GPS 40.0 Miles 3.03 hrs 2277 ft climbing 13.2 mph ave
Mission Control 40.0 miles 3.23 hrs 1614 ft climbing 2.0 mph ave 133 watt hrs used 3.32 Watt Hr/mile
RIDE app 40.4 Miles 3.23 hrs 1232 ft climbing 11.9 mph ave 40% battery consumed (129 Watt hrs) 3.23 Watt Hr/mile

Im not sure Stephan. I can't remember how I discovered it, I know it was on one of the forums somewhere. It seems to work fine on my Vado SL 5.0. I haven't compared the results from RIDE and Mission Control but they seem pretty close. Here are data from a ride couple of days ago. I just pay attention to the one that makes me look the youngest......

Ride with GPS 40.0 Miles 3.03 hrs 2277 ft climbing 13.2 mph ave
Mission Control 40.0 miles 3.23 hrs 1614 ft climbing 2.0 mph ave 133 watt hrs used 3.32 Watt Hr/mile
RIDE app 40.4 Miles 3.23 hrs 1232 ft climbing 11.9 mph ave 40% battery consumed (129 Watt hrs) 3.23 Watt Hr/mile
When I registered, it grabbed my Mission Control saved rides and displays them.

Is it possible Scott that Specialized Ride app was made for older e-bikes such as Turbo S? It is because Specialized doesn't mention it in any new marketing materials.

it's a recently updated / newer app, which works with a wider range of specialized bikes and products, including non e-bikes, helmets, etc.

Just downloaded the specialized RIDE app but I don’t see how to add a polar heart rate monitor. All I find in the app and the documentation is about ANGi. Anyone help with this?

Just downloaded the specialized RIDE app but I don’t see how to add a polar heart rate monitor. All I find in the app and the documentation is about ANGi. Anyone help with this?
I installed the Specialized Ride, too. No way to connect HR monitor. It looks the app is all focused on the ANGi crash sensor. I'm going to try the Ride on my morning ride to collect the Wahoo from the parcel locker. As for myself, I've been recording my rides with BLEvo (perfect, after you have adjusted elevation gain data in Strava), and now I'm going to use Wahoo Elemnt Roam for the same purpose (I really want to clear the real estate on handlebars of my e-bikes!) Let us see how good the Ride app is though. Perhaps it is better than Mission Control (which I hate as the ride recording app).

Perhaps it is better than Mission Control (which I hate as the ride recording app).
Have you tried RideWithGPS? It does not connect to the bike, but it shows lots of good information about the ride. On the Library page of the app, rides can be named and sorted on different fields--very handy. And it gives you stats for week, month, year, career.

Have you tried RideWithGPS? It does not connect to the bike, but it shows lots of good information about the ride. On the Library page of the app, rides can be named and sorted on different fields--very handy. And it gives you stats for week, month, year, career.
Yes, I have. It is a good piece of software indeed, and the Route Planner is excellent there. My recent plan is:
  • Plan routes in RWGPS with semi-auto synchronization to Wahoo
  • Navigate with Wahoo, the device connected to my current Spec e-bike(s) (so Wahoo becomes the universal display/GPS navigation)
  • Let Wahoo export my rides with full ride data to Strava (I'm a subscriber and all my friends are on Strava)
  • Run BLEvo on a smartphone kept in the back pocket of my jersey to control the e-bike (nothing beats BLEvo Range Estimator!)
There was a time I wanted to standardize on RWGPS and even started a subscription there (cancelled early). No "e-bike" category and no friends on RWGPS made that app redundant for me. Still, RWGPS gives me the best information related to mountain road biking!

Last edited:
OMG! how did i not know about this app!?!? it's actually got really great metrics - motor power stats, time in various modes, rider power zones, weighted averages! the time spent in various modes is really cool, as is the motor power graph. i've always wanted that data.

View attachment 101243 View attachment 101251 View attachment 101245 View attachment 101246
I just took a ride using the specialized RIDE app (iOS version) and don’t see any motor or power data. There really isn’t much info besides speed, time and elevation. Did you run mission control at the same time perhaps? I don’t run MC and BLEVo still shows those values.

I also took a ride with the Specialized Ride. A generic, sleek app for GPS based ride recording. Quite accurate, with instant export to Strava. That's it.

i used “ride” only to view the results after recording the ride with mission control. what’s interesting is that it captures all the motor/battery power statistics which mission control is obviously recording, but not exposing in any way.

i used “ride” only to view the results after recording the ride with mission control. what’s interesting is that it captures all the motor/battery power statistics which mission control is obviously recording, but not exposing in any way.
Thanks, I’ll try that.

Is there a way to export that data? I don't see a way to do that.

It will open all of the rides that I did under Mission Control and probably stored on the Specialized site. I guess I could check there for export.

I was just told Ride is for non-E riders.
i thought so too, but it has extensive info on the motor contribution to the ride, the battery, etc. specialized must have added these features for e-riders, since non-e bikes don’t have motors :)

Attachments

• A764E322-46D9-4FA4-9520-CA25D018FE1B.jpeg
    A764E322-46D9-4FA4-9520-CA25D018FE1B.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 180
Is there a way to export that data? I don't see a way to do that.

It will open all of the rides that I did under Mission Control and probably stored on the Specialized site. I guess I could check there for export.
Use BLEvo... all way down to Excel, and as many as 51 ride parameters :D

Back