VAdo or Como Suspension Seat post and Handlebar Stem

B

BarryS

Who has actually added these Suspension units on their Vado or Como. I already own a Redshift Seat post Stem. Unfortunately it looks to be to small in diameter to work with the Vado :

Looking at Handlebar Stems : The Specialized Bikes don't appear to have enough cable slack to add Both a Stem Riser and a suspension stem : Has anyone tried this : ????? Thanks

I am using Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat post with my Specialized Vado 5. Easy instal no modification needed. It has improved the ride quality specially since I moved to Shwalbe Marathon E+ tires which are much stiffer and heavier than Trigger Sport tires which came with bike.
I was considering Kinekt Stem suspension also. Was told that might be redundant since Vado comes with suspension forks.
Also concerned about how difficult it is to install it.

Who has actually added these Suspension units on their Vado or Como. I already own a Redshift Seat post Stem. Unfortunately it looks to be to small in diameter to work with the Vado :

Looking at Handlebar Stems : The Specialized Bikes don't appear to have enough cable slack to add Both a Stem Riser and a suspension stem : Has anyone tried this : ????? Thanks
You need a seatpost shim. The Redshift ShockStop suspension seatpost is 27.2mm and the Vado has a 30.9mm seat post so an insert 27.2 - 30.9 is needed. I bought a Cane Creek shim together with my Redshift suspension sestpost. Use this on my Vado 5. Works fine. Cost about $10.

You need a seatpost shim. The Redshift ShockStop suspension seatpost is 27.2mm and the Vado has a 30.9mm seat post so an insert 27.2 - 30.9 is needed. I bought a Cane Creek shim together with my Redshift suspension sestpost. Use this on my Vado 5. Works fine. Cost about $10.
Thanks I talked to Redshift and that's what they told me : I've had alot of Feedback elsewhere that Kinekt 2.1 is a better post for electric : Not sure why it would be : Just propaganda :)

I am using Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat post with my Specialized Vado 5. Easy instal no modification needed. It has improved the ride quality specially since I moved to Shwalbe Marathon E+ tires which are much stiffer and heavier than Trigger Sport tires which came with bike.
I was considering Kinekt Stem suspension also. Was told that might be redundant since Vado comes with suspension forks.
Also concerned about how difficult it is to install it.
Suspension Stems are real easy to install : Just mark you handlebars with something to get them back in the right place easy : It always pays to do that stuff yourself if you can. Some LBS service is terrible : I just got My Vado 2 days ago. Went for a ride yesterday and noticed My display looked crooked : On Inspection today : Whoever set this bike up has the steering tube crooked : So I had to loosen the stem anyway to straighten it out. Just make sure if you attempt a stem install. To leave the bike on the ground so your fork doesn't fall out : Which even that if it did happen is no big deal.

Just hoping I don't have electric or Engine issues : Other then that the rest I can do myself. It's just a peddle bike with a rocket under your feet

Thanks I talked to Redshift and that's what they told me : I've had alot of Feedback elsewhere that Kinekt 2.1 is a better post for electric : Not sure why it would be : Just propaganda :)
I don’t know why a Kinekt should be better than other suspension posts on e-bikes. I like my Redshift a lot but it’s the only suspension post I’ve tried and to be honest I don’t exactly remember why I decided to get the Redshift:rolleyes:
Edit
I was probably influenced by Juliet Elliott as I have a crush on her but please don’t tell her:D
Seriously, I really enjoy her youtube videos. They’re NOT about e-biking but she’s so positive and in love with cycling.

Last edited:
What advantage is the 420 MM length over the 350MM I notice My Stock Vado Seat post to 420 MM Is there any advantage to that ?

What advantage is the 420 MM length over the 350MM I notice My Stock Vado Seat post to 420 MM Is there any advantage to that ?
You choose the 420 mm seat-post only in case if you are a really tall person (or rather, if your legs are very long). Let me give you an example:
My "standover height" that is the distance from the floor to the crotch measured in shoes and in slight straddle is 30.7". I ride the 350 mm Kinekt at the 11th marker. My gf's standover height is 32.7". She has to ride the same seat-post at the "minimum insertion depth", which means you cannot raise the saddle any higher. She might qualify for the 420 mm seat-post.

Last edited:
You choose the 420 mm seat-post only in case if you are a really tall person (or rather, if your legs are very long). Let me give you an example:
My "standover height" that is the distance from the floor to the crotch measured in shoes and in slight straddle is 30.7". I ride the 350 mm Kinekt at the 11th marker. My gf's standover height is 32.7". She has to ride the same seat-post at the "minimum insertion depth", which means you cannot raise the saddle any higher. She might qualify for the 420 mm seat-post.

Where is the line on very tall? I'm almost 6'1. Would a 350 be fine, or do I need the 420? I see Specialized ships 400's standard for my frame size.

Suspension Stems are real easy to install : Just mark you handlebars with something to get them back in the right place easy : It always pays to do that stuff yourself if you can. Some LBS service is terrible : I just got My Vado 2 days ago. Went for a ride yesterday and noticed My display looked crooked : On Inspection today : Whoever set this bike up has the steering tube crooked : So I had to loosen the stem anyway to straighten it out. Just make sure if you attempt a stem install. To leave the bike on the ground so your fork doesn't fall out : Which even that if it did happen is no big deal.

Just hoping I don't have electric or Engine issues : Other then that the rest I can do myself. It's just a peddle bike with a rocket under your feet

So the suspension stem has no conflict with the Turbo displays which are mounted center or the models that have the LED headlights mounted high?

Where is the line on very tall? I'm almost 6'1. Would a 350 be fine, or do I need the 420? I see Specialized ships 400's standard for my frame size.
Yep Vado's ship with a 400MM Post and they bottom out with roughly 6 inch exposed above the top of the clamp : So 420 would be to long : I'm almost 6'1 and have 8inch exposed on a normal post : That's not considering the 3 plus inches for the spring. So likely 420 would need cutting : Get 350 I did

Suspension seat post review, comparing a Kinekt to a Redshift

Went with the Redshift seatpost mostly due to esthetics and also it's discounted on Amazon. Plus, if you want a bit of seat post available for accessories like lights then the redshift will have a few more inches of seatpost available. Really like it, don't need to stand up on the bumps as often, which can lead to getting tired quicker over the course of several hours. Was so impressed, just ordered the redshift stem which also looks lower profile than the KINEKT stem.

Last edited:
Went with the Redshift seatpost mostly due to esthetics and also it's discounted on Amazon. Plus, if you want a bit of seat post available for accessories like lights then the redshift will have a few more inches of seatpost available. Really like it, don't need to stand up on the bumps as often, which can lead to getting tired quicker over the course of several hours. Was so impressed, just ordered the stem which also looks lower profile and normal than the KINEKT stem.
I have found that I do not stand on the pedals anymore with the full Redshift system! The only exception is riding off a high curb.

Note: It is for my Vado SL. I cannot mod my full power S-Pedelec Vado because of several reasons.

So the suspension stem has no conflict with the Turbo displays which are mounted center or the models that have the LED headlights mounted high?
My Turbo has the headlight bracket welded to the stem, so replacing the stem with a suspension one would involve rigging some sort of alternate mounting for the headlight.

My Turbo has the headlight bracket welded to the stem, so replacing the stem with a suspension one would involve rigging some sort of alternate mounting for the headlight.
Yep. And this is something I plan on finding a workaround for. I ordered a Cirrus Cycles Kinekt suspension stem, and will be determining a way to mount the Vado's factory light to the new stem. Mostly likely it will involve zip ties and a little creative home surgery. I'll report back on my findings.

Yep. And this is something I plan on finding a workaround for. I ordered a Cirrus Cycles Kinekt suspension stem, and will be determining a way to mount the Vado's factory light to the new stem. Mostly likely it will involve zip ties and a little creative home surgery. I'll report back on my findings.
@EscapedApe: Are you talking about Vado SL? Vado SL headlight is GoPro mount compatible. Just find a strong 31.8 mm handlebar GoPro mount and no worries.

@Stefan Mikes, you are the king. You've just saved me a lot of pointless stumbling around lol
There's often confusion when people talk about Vado but mean Vado SL and the opposite. While SL headlights are GoPro mount compatible, Specialized has used different lights on various models and model years of the "full power Vado". Therefore, Vado SL is easy to handle while the "big" Vado could be more complex.

Anecdotally: My very special 2017 EU speed version of the "big" Vado came with a stem integrated headlight mount. After the warranty 2020 upgrade, Specialized used another stem with integrated display mount but shifted the new powerful headlight onto a separate handlebar mount! It is so complicated I decided I could not replace the Specialized stem with anything else!

Vado SL is made very consistently, only the tail-light location varies very much between the non-EQ and EQ version (but you know that the best!)

There's often confusion when people talk about Vado but mean Vado SL and the opposite. While SL headlights are GoPro mount compatible, Specialized has used different lights on various models and model years of the "full power Vado". Therefore, Vado SL is easy to handle while the "big" Vado could be more complex.

Anecdotally: My very special 2017 EU speed version of the "big" Vado came with a stem integrated headlight mount. After the warranty 2020 upgrade, Specialized used another stem with integrated display mount but shifted the new powerful headlight onto a separate handlebar mount! It is so complicated I decided I could not replace the Specialized stem with anything else!

Vado SL is made very consistently, only the tail-light location varies very much between the non-EQ and EQ version (but you know that the best!)
Yep, mine is a Vado SL.

This is why I came to a forum full of fellow bike nerds who all have the knowledge and experience lol

I'll post pictures of my setup once the stem is upgraded and the light re-mounted.

Any recommendations on good (preferably metal and non-Chinese made) GoPro handlebar mounts for the Lezyne Ebike Hecto STVZO E65 headlight?

Back