Vado firmware update

Nxkharra

I just contacted Specialized support for a sales related matter.
I asked if there is any update available for my firmware which was updated in Oct 2019.
the answer was yes.
has anyone updated their firmware since then.
I have currently no issues and am concerned the new firmware update mess things up.
many recommendation?

I just contacted Specialized support for a sales related matter.
I asked if there is any update available for my firmware which was updated in Oct 2019.
the answer was yes.
has anyone updated their firmware since then.
I have currently no issues and am concerned the new firmware update mess things up.
many recommendation?
The 2020 Vado 5.0 that I purchased in mid-January 2020 still had the October 2019 motor firmware on it, along with an older version of the display unit firmware. What prompted me to have the motor and display firmwares updated to the latest versions on 7 February 2020 were the 5 motor errors that kept displaying on the Mission Control App each time I connected it to the Vado. The lbs person, who did the firmware updates as I watched, told me the October 2019 motor firmware, that came loaded on my new Vado when I took delivery of it in January, was restricting the motor assist to 20 mph, the European default, vice what should be 28 mph. I live in Florida. After he loaded the latest motor and display unit firmwares, the 5 motor errors that had been displaying on the Mission Control App all disappeared, and motor status showed "Healthy". The lbs guy also said the updated motor firmware removed the European motor assist restriction that apparently came on my bike.

Since the firmware updates, I've had no problems or any errors displaying on the Mission Control App. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I'm happy with the firmware updates.

By the way, at least according to the info for my Vado that displays on the Mission Control App, my bike has 3 different firmwares loaded on it: one for the motor, one for the display unit, and one for the battery. For some reason, my battery firmware version, that's displays on the Mission Control App, was not showing up on the lbs computer monitor. Maybe the battery firmware has to be updated through a direct connection to the battery. When he updated my motor and display unit's firmwares, he connected the update cable into a small port located in the battery compartment area of the display unit. I should have asked him at the time about the battery firmware, but it slipped my mind in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:
@martee1z
Could you please list the three firmware versions?
The 3 firmwares that came loaded on my 2020 Vado 5.0 when I took delivery of it in mid-January 2020 were:
1. Motor: 5.0.4
2. Display unit: C.4.0
3. Rechargeable li-ion battery: 7.3.0

On 7 February 2020, a lbs updated firmwares to:
1. Motor: 7.1.1
2. Display unit: 13.4.0
My rechargeable li-ion battery firmware was not updated and currently remains at 7.3.0.

It's too bad Specialized doesn't allow customers to view a listing of the latest firmware versions for different e-bike models on its website, in lieu of a customer/end user having to contact Specialized or depending on a lbs for this information. Even better would be giving customers the ability to download and wirelessly update firmwares through the Mission Control App, instead of having to take one's bike to a Specialized dealer and possibly being charged for the update. I'm guessing Specialized wants to keep customers as dealer dependent as possible. In my case, I was not charged for this first time firmware updating. But future firmware updates could and likely will end up costing me.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, the following motor errors kept showing up on my Mission Control App, iOS version 2.2.0, each time I connected the app to the Vado....prior to the 7 February 2020, lbs motor firmware updating, which eliminated all the errors and changed "System Status" to "Healthy". I've condensed some of the error readouts for brevity's sake.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Error Code 6
Switch off the bike completely,wait 30 seconds and then restart it.
If the problem persists, please contact your retailer.
Error Code 5: same as error code 6.
Error Code 4
Stop pedaling for a few seconds.
If the error persists, switch off the bike completely,wait 30 seconds and then restart it.
If the error is still displayed after restarting the bike, please contact your retailer.
Error Code 35
The gear ratio was detected by the motor as smaller or higher than the configured mechanically possible values.
Switch off the bike completely, wait 30 seconds and then restart it.
Please contact your retailer for allowed gear ratios. Non-standard transmission ratios may cause this error to occur and the motor will stop assisting.
Error Code 19: same as Code 35

The 3 firmwares that came loaded on my 2020 Vado 5.0 when I took delivery of it in mid-January 2020 were:

My rechargeable li-ion battery firmware was not updated and currently remains at 7.3.0.

It's too bad Specialized doesn't allow customers to view a listing of the latest firmware versions for different e-bike models on its website, in lieu of a customer/end user having to contact Specialized or depending on a lbs for this information. Even better would be giving customers the ability to download and wirelessly update firmwares through the Mission Control App, instead of having to take one's bike to a Specialized dealer and possibly being charged for the update. I'm guessing Specialized wants to keep customers as dealer dependent as possible. In my case, I was not charged for this first time firmware updating. But future firmware updates could and likely will end up costing me.
Thank you. Interesting.
I bought my 2020 Vado 5.0 in April 2019 and it’s been serviced on two occasions but the last time It was in for a change of crankwheel so I don’t think they did any firmware checks or updates at that service. That was mid August I think.

My motor firmware is 5.0.4 Your firmware 7.1.1 could be the 28mph version
Display unit firmware 12.4.0 (Hardware A.2.0)
Battery firmware 7.3.4 (Hardware 2.0)

My bike has been running fine during the rides I’ve done this autumn and the few during December and January. I have not had any error messages when connecting to the app.
I don’t feel I need to update anything ( well, I would like to have 20mph as opposed to the 15.5 (25km/h) we get in Europe )
Will talk to the Specialized guys and ask if there are updates they really recommend for my bike.

@martee1z , I just picked up my Vado 5 from the shop. The firmware was updated and match your numbers.
My Battery firmware version is 7.20.0 (yours is 7.3.0?)
I did ask the LBS to make sure to update the battery firmware also as you had indicated.
his response was “ I just connect the wire and the system updates whatever it needs” he was not aware of a separate process to update the battery firmware.
How can I find out, and advise the LBS, to check and update the battery firmware also?

The 2020 Vado 5.0 that I purchased in mid-January 2020 still had the October 2019 motor firmware on it, along with an older version of the display unit firmware. What prompted me to have the motor and display firmwares updated to the latest versions on 7 February 2020 were the 5 motor errors that kept displaying on the Mission Control App each time I connected it to the Vado. The lbs person, who did the firmware updates as I watched, told me the October 2019 motor firmware, that came loaded on my new Vado when I took delivery of it in January, was restricting the motor assist to 20 mph, the European default, vice what should be 28 mph. I live in Florida. After he loaded the latest motor and display unit firmwares, the 5 motor errors that had been displaying on the Mission Control App all disappeared, and motor status showed "Healthy". The lbs guy also said the updated motor firmware removed the European motor assist restriction that apparently came on my bike.

Since the firmware updates, I've had no problems or any errors displaying on the Mission Control App. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I'm happy with the firmware updates.

By the way, at least according to the info for my Vado that displays on the Mission Control App, my bike has 3 different firmwares loaded on it: one for the motor, one for the display unit, and one for the battery. For some reason, my battery firmware version, that's displays on the Mission Control App, was not showing up on the lbs computer monitor. Maybe the battery firmware has to be updated through a direct connection to the battery. When he updated my motor and display unit's firmwares, he connected the update cable into a small port located in the battery compartment area of the display unit. I should have asked him at the time about the battery firmware, but it slipped my mind in the heat of the moment.
I did ask the LBS today to make sure update the battery firmware. He did not know anything about that.
my battery version is 7.20.0

The mystery seems to be the battery firmware version. Everybody’s appear to be different.
I have asked this question from Specialized.
will share when I hear from them.
does it need to be updated? If yes How?

Here we go again. I picked up the bike after updating the firmware yesterday.
just had a short ride to grocery store this morning.
on the way back the motor stoped responding for few seconds and on and off responding with no error message. Even with mode and gear change.
I stopped and turn the bike off and on and everything was OK.
I hope this is not an indication of things to come.
Everything was working OK with the old firmware and after replacing the display when I originally had this issue.
I was concerned about updating the firmware but was ensured by the LBS and some friends that update is a good thing to have.
will be testing and am sure LBS will support me but it is annoying to have these issues.
😩🤭😠😣

This is shooting in the dark.
every time I open the Mission Control App and adjust Support settings I seem to encounter the above issue. I wonder if it takes time for motor to get used to new setting. I know it should be smarter than that

This is shooting in the dark.
every time I open the Mission Control App and adjust Support settings I seem to encounter the above issue. I wonder if it takes time for motor to get used to new setting. I know it should be smarter than that
Rode some yesterday with no issues.
also specialized responded to my question on battery firmware update.
didn’t answer my question of do I need a separate update for battery.
here is the response. “I just ran your bike's serial number and it looks like everything on your bike is up to date.”

Thank you. Interesting.
I bought my 2020 Vado 5.0 in April 2019 and it’s been serviced on two occasions but the last time It was in for a change of crankwheel so I don’t think they did any firmware checks or updates at that service. That was mid August I think.

My motor firmware is 5.0.4 Your firmware 7.1.1 could be the 28mph version
Display unit firmware 12.4.0 (Hardware A.2.0)
Battery firmware 7.3.4 (Hardware 2.0)

My bike has been running fine during the rides I’ve done this autumn and the few during December and January. I have not had any error messages when connecting to the app.
I don’t feel I need to update anything ( well, I would like to have 20mph as opposed to the 15.5 (25km/h) we get in Europe )
Will talk to the Specialized guys and ask if there are updates they really recommend for my bike.
I updated firmware and I now have the old issue that was resolved before.

I have a 2020 Como 5.0. bought the bike in Nov 19 with the below firmware version
Motor 7.1.1
Battery 7.20.0
Display 12.40.0

Went to LBS for update today. Only Display FW was available for my bike.
Motor 7.1.1
Battery 7.20.0
Display 13.40.0

There seems to be a small glitch for the new Display FW on my bike. The Odometer and the actual numeric data are switched up on the display. Please check yours if you just had 13.40.0 update to your bike. See picture. Now the ODO font is large and the numbers are small.

Attachments

• IMG_20200305_182148.jpg
    IMG_20200305_182148.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 570
Mine was the same. Hard to read the number. Does not make sense. I am going to pick up mine from LBS today. I will check with them to see if there is a way to change.
getting a new motor😣🤫

Last edited:
Back