Vado 5.0 Anti-theft feature?

TiburonScott

Just bought my bike and pick it up on Friday. Was obsessing over the manual, specs, etc and see that the bike has an “anti-theft” feature, but cannot find anything in the manual or on this forum. Any info?

Some of us who own previous years Vado 5 models have been wondering how this feature works.
LBSs don’t know much about it. I wrote to Specialized but no answer yet. My LBS has left a message with Specialized but I have not heard back.
I own a 2020 model which I purchased in Sept 2019 and this very needed function does not exist with mine.
ne of these days some one willresolve this mystery.
Since you just purchased yours may be either Specialized or your LBS will be more responsive to you.

Per my LBS, who sort of shook his head as he said it, the anti-theft feature is an optional lock that bolts onto the frame. Similar to a cafe lock.

Per my LBS, who sort of shook his head as he said it, the anti-theft feature is an optional lock that bolts onto the frame. Similar to a cafe lock.
That doesn't make sense. The online Vado specs have been revised within the last year to state inpart;

UI/REMOTESpecialized TCD-W w/ handlebar remote & built-in anti-theft feature, Bluetooth® connectivity, 5 available display pages

The anti-theft feature was not referenced in the specs a year ago when we bought our Vados. It is clearly a feature in the TCD-W display controller, not a mechanical lock!

So far no dealer seems to know how to access this much needed feature...😖

I will be dropping off my Vado on Tuesday for chain ring replacement (if the part is here). I will follow up but not optimistic that he knows anything.
Specialized never responded to my question either.

@TiburonScott Would you mind taking a look at the firmware level you are at with this bike - as it is brand new?

Thinking of the display really - that might give us some clues as to what is going on. Mine is 12.4

I checked the specs again, and it is quite clear there is a display based anti-theft feature.

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense. The online Vado specs have been revised within the last year to state inpart;

UI/REMOTESpecialized TCD-W w/ handlebar remote & built-in anti-theft feature, Bluetooth® connectivity, 5 available display pages

The anti-theft feature was not referenced in the specs a year ago when we bought our Vados. It is clearly a feature in the TCD-W display controller, not a mechanical lock!

So far no dealer seems to know how to access this much needed feature...😖

I think Specialized marketing needs a bit more attention to detail and be tailored to the various markets it operates in.

We have this universal key thing, but it seems pretty impractical for many, a standard popular Frame lock will not fit despite indications that's the purpose of the particular lugs on the Vados and a few other oddities including convenience factor in putting a front facing basket on a commuter bike, the merits of the racktime rack in some markets and no doubt a few other things. I note more or less by chance I found Specialized suggestions about how to rig a front basket on their web page. Its a bit messy and that raises some other issues, but my point is they should be catering to the novice as well as the expert, but even the so called expert LBS people seemed lost in some matters re the Vado, ...

I hope Specialized scan these web pages and think about these matters, ...🙏

Ok. Picked up the Vado with new chain ring installed. Followed up with the LBS owner who is also a friend.
The answer from Specialized to him was there is no Anti Theft feature available with new Vados. No further explanation was given.
Weird.....

Having just taken delivery of my Vado 4.0, it struck me while setting it up that perhaps the “anti-theft” featurette wasn’t that Mission Control would only allow the paired owner to tweak the assist mode percentages.

Just bought my bike and pick it up on Friday. Was obsessing over the manual, specs, etc and see that the bike has an “anti-theft” feature, but cannot find anything in the manual or on this forum. Any info?

So you've "seen" it in your manual once but couldn't find it again? 🧐 😟

I presume this was a misinterpretation or in context with the newer display that can't be taken off if the fixing plate is mounted (it usually is).

Back