Vado 5.0 Anti-theft feature?

Having just taken delivery of my Vado 4.0, it struck me while setting it up that perhaps the “anti-theft” featurette wasn’t that Mission Control would only allow the paired owner to tweak the assist mode percentages.
I do agree. The "anti-theft feature" must me something to prevent a stranger take control over the bike with their own smartphone but it has made the connecting the phone to the bike a disaster.

So you've "seen" it in your manual once but couldn't find it again? 🧐 😟

I presume this was a misinterpretation or in context with the newer display that can't be taken off if the fixing plate is mounted (it usually is).
That’s my conclusion too. The Bloks display removable with just a twist, the TCD isn’t.
And also the the removable Bloks display was not stopping anyone from riding away with your bike. I tried my 2018 Vado 4.0 without the display it worked fine.

So you've "seen" it in your manual once but couldn't find it again? 🧐 😟

I presume this was a misinterpretation or in context with the newer display that can't be taken off if the fixing plate is mounted (it usually is).
The anti theft feature is mentioned only in the marketing material/specs on the Specialized web page as far as I can see not the manual. Note I said “manual, specs, etc”.

I tried my 2018 Vado 4.0 without the display it worked fine.
Mine 2017 didn't work with the display removed.

Sure.
That's the difference between pedelecs and S-pedelecs in Europe by law.

Stefan's Vado 5.0 S-pedelec VS PaD's former Vado 4.0 pedelec.

The anti theft feature is mentioned only in the marketing material/specs on the Specialized web page as far as I can see not the manual. Note I said “manual, specs, etc”.
Please post that passage you keep referring to to bring this to an end.

Sure.
That's the difference between pedelecs and S-pedelecs in Europe by law.

Stefan's Vado 5.0 S-pedelec VS PaD's former Vado 4.0 pedelec.

Please post that passage you keep referring to to bring this to an end.
See my post #8 in this thread. The reference to an "anti-theft feature" has been added to the online specs since we purchased our Vados last Spring.

See my post #8 in this thread. The reference to an "anti-theft feature" has been added to the online specs since we purchased our Vados last Spring.
I did read your passage but I disagree with your conclusion. IMHO the "built-in-feature" is clearly the mechanical lock (the fixing plate) in the TCD-W and nothing else.

Last edited:
I did read your passage but I disagree with your conclusion. IMHO the "built-in-feature" is clearly the mechanical lock in the TCD-W and nothing else.
So you're suggesting the anti-theft feature they're referring to is the screw that secures the display to its plastic mount?

So you're suggesting the anti-theft feature they're referring to is the screw that secures the display to its plastic mount?
I remember it being named a "fixing plate" that is usually mounted so that the TCD-W can't be taken off. But if you do not mount that plate the TCD-W would be removable like the former BLOKS display.

I remember it being named a "fixing plate" that is usually mounted so that the TCD-W can't be taken off. But if you do not mount that plate the TCD-W would be removable like the former BLOKS display.
Hmmm...
IMG_20200604_193027-01.jpeg

Per Mission Control, my firmware is 13.4.0

Since @steph
Per Mission Control, my firmware is 13.4.0

Since @Stefan Mikes just posted his new display firmware, on a different thread, as 13.4 also, I am coming to the conclusion that @TS25 may be correct about this "feature". I would have expected a different firmware edition if a new facility was being offered.

Still no reply from Specialized, but I am not too hopeful now ;).

Some you win.......

Well............... just heard from Specialized Support UK (who are pretty responsive in my experience) :

The anti-theft facility is an additional plate sitting beneath the Turbo Connect Display (TCD-W). This is a structural addition rather than software, and should have been installed when assembled by the retailer. The plate stops the twisting and removal of the TCD-W when installed. I have attached an image of the ant-twist plate installation and the Vado User Manual which refers to it on page 12.

and some you lose :confused:.

TS25 is not that far from Poland, even if the distance is still considerable ;) Worse, the borders are closed.

I trust you could finish your scrubbing until I'd arrive for breakfast. ;)
I'd just hop onto the A2 and shouldn't miss the right exit.
You'd be stopped at the border, unfortunately...
(Finding excuses!)
:D

Back