Vado 3.0 vs 4.0 (U.S. market)

rochrunner

Region
USA
City
Rochester Hills MI
My most useful bike over the last 8 years has been my do-everything Specialized Crosstrail. It’s been perfect for the type of riding I mostly do: paved and unpaved rail-trails, hilly dirt/gravel roads, some two-track and occasional MTB trail, and of course road sections when needed. And of all the eBikes I’ve looked at (or at least those sold by a local dealer), nothing matches my needs as well as the Vado. No surprise either since its geometry is a very close match for the Crosstrail line.

So the only question was which one to get between a 3.0 and 4.0. I found the info on the web site to be inadequate, but was able to stop by a dealer yesterday who had 2019 and 2020 bikes on the floor and cleared up some issues. For one thing, the 2020 3.0 is definitely a Class 3 bike. The reason for my confusion is that the tech info on the web lists the 3.0 as having a “1.2E” motor, which is tuned for “efficiency”, including “less peak torque and maximum output”. That made it sound like a 20mph bike, but the sticker says 28mph, (maybe with better battery range?).

The dealer had both a 2019 and 2020 3.0, and it’s apparent that the 2019 3.0 is almost identical to what they’re calling the 2020 4.0 except for a slightly smaller battery (460 vs. 500), which is one reason for the 4.0 listing at $100 more. But basically the 3.0 was reduced in price for 2020 ($3450 to $2700) by going to lower-level components such as Tektro brakes, 9-speed gearing, fork with dropouts instead of thru-axle, etc.

So, knowing what I know now, I think that for my purposes the 2020 4.0 is worth the extra cost over the 3.0 and I am willing to pay it. Now it’s just a matter of timing since the biking season is coming to a close soon around here and it could be April or later before I can get outside again. Still, if an end-of-year or preseason sale comes up I’m ready to pull the trigger.

Any comments?

I have the 2020 3.0 and love it. I think the price tag is great for a Class 3 bike with all the features, gets me up the hill quick. I can get about 60 miles in eco mode per charge on the 400 battery. I'm sure that 4.0 has some really nice torque though and a bigger battery.

Is there a difference in the torque level?
My 2018 Vado has 90 nm of torque and the acceleration is fantastic. Along with the smooth quiet Brose motor it’s fantastic at acceleration.

Is there a difference in the torque level?
My 2018 Vado has 90 nm of torque and the acceleration is fantastic. Along with the smooth quiet Brose motor it’s fantastic at acceleration.
Torque info doesn't seem to be readily available. Also, they have been all over the place on what model has what from year to year, which doesn't make it any easier to compare.

Torque info doesn't seem to be readily available. Also, they have been all over the place on what model has what from year to year, which doesn't make it any easier to compare.
I'm trying to decide between the 2020 3.0 vs 4.0 as well. My 2019 is being replaced by Specialized, and they will give me a 3.0 n/c, which I would gladly accept, but for the reduced power that I fear I may miss in our very hilly region. The 4.0 would cost me $1000 plus tax more. You are right! It's really hard to cobble together comparisons between these motors, but through various sites, this is what I have found, that I believe is accurate:

2020 Vado 3.0: 50 Nm of torque, 420 peak watts, vs. 2020 Vado 4.0: 72 Nm of torque 520 peak watts.

It is not clear to me how noticeable that difference will be. I have written directly to Specialized, after failing to find information on the Web. If anyone has tried both the 3.0 and the 4.0 on hills, it would be awesome to hear your findings.

I'm trying to decide between the 2020 3.0 vs 4.0 as well. My 2019 is being replaced by Specialized, and they will give me a 3.0 n/c, which I would gladly accept, but for the reduced power that I fear I may miss in our very hilly region. The 4.0 would cost me $1000 plus tax more. You are right! It's really hard to cobble together comparisons between these motors, but through various sites, this is what I have found, that I believe is accurate:

2020 Vado 3.0: 50 Nm of torque, 420 peak watts, vs. 2020 Vado 4.0: 72 Nm of torque 520 peak watts.

It is not clear to me how noticeable that difference will be. I have written directly to Specialized, after failing to find information on the Web. If anyone has tried both the 3.0 and the 4.0 on hills, it would be awesome to hear your findings.
Seems to me that going from 50 to 72Nm would be noticeable -- it's almost a 50% difference. Let me know if you manage a test ride to compare the two.

Seems to me that going from 50 to 72Nm would be noticeable -- it's almost a 50% difference. Let me know if you manage a test ride to compare the two.
I agree, but I would like to know / see exactly how much difference. There is no chance to test the 4.0 here, but I might be able to test the 3.0 and get a comparison from my 2019 2.0. Meanwhile, if anyone has actually test the two bikes, it would sure be great to hear what you think. Seems the 3.0 is ideal of not ver hilly city use, with lots of stops and starts, maybe not so much for my situation.

I agree, but I would like to know / see exactly how much difference. There is no chance to test the 4.0 here, but I might be able to test the 3.0 and get a comparison from my 2019 2.0. Meanwhile, if anyone has actually test the two bikes, it would sure be great to hear what you think. Seems the 3.0 is ideal of not ver hilly city use, with lots of stops and starts, maybe not so much for my situation.

I recently bought a 2020 Vado 4.0 and test rode both the 4.0 and the 2020 3.0 before buying. The 4.0 had significantly more umph going up hills. I’m a big guy and It definitely made a difference. I live in the very hilly San Francisco area, which is why I went with the 4.0.

I recently bought a 2020 Vado 4.0 and test rode both the 4.0 and the 2020 3.0 before buying. The 4.0 had significantly more umph going up hills. I’m a big guy and It definitely made a difference. I live in the very hilly San Francisco area, which is why I went with the 4.0.
Good info! I'm leaning strongly toward the 4.0, but it would be interesting to also hear about differences in battery range. Of course, this is always difficult since it depends on so many factors. What type of range are you seeing? I know that on my wife's Trek ebike she is generally beating the "rated" range by quite a bit so far.

Good info! I'm leaning strongly toward the 4.0, but it would be interesting to also hear about differences in battery range. Of course, this is always difficult since it depends on so many factors. What type of range are you seeing? I know that on my wife's Trek ebike she is generally beating the "rated" range by quite a bit so far.
Specialized has a range calculator on their website that factors in model, rider weight, etc

It obviously depends on terrain. I don’t use any assist on flat/down. On a recent 20 mile ride that was half climb and half downhill I used 24% of the battery. Have you tried the Specialized calculator? https://www.specialized.com/us/en/t...true&mode=TRAIL_SPORT&terrain=HILLS&stops=FEW.

Great information. Guess I will probably go for the 4.0, then. We have many hills, and some very steep ones. I think if I took the 3.0, I would constantly be regretting it.

Guess it depends on your size too. I weigh about 160 and the 3.0 gets up hills pretty quick, even steep ones.
Good point. I weigh about the same. Also depends on steepness of hills. I found a few of those around here not exactly a breeze, even with the torquier motor of the Vado 2.0. Hope I can try the 3.0 before deciding.

I have owned my 2018 3.0 Vado since may of 2018 and have had the broken rear wheel spoke issue with one spoke breaking at about 2,000 miles. The rest of the bike has been trouble-free until a few days ago when the odometer showed 4800 miles and the motor jammed up and stopped working. Luckily I was able to get a ride home and then took it to the shop and was told that I had not done anything wrong to cause the failure and they would call me when they got in the parts and had finished the repairs. So far - nearly 3 weeks have gone by and I haven't heard from them so I figure the parts were probably on back order. I really love this bike and my only complaint is that if I ride it at the speeds I like (22 -24 MPH) the range is about 30 miles. If there is a way to upgrade to a larger battery pack for more range I would do it in a minute but the shop manager at my bike shop says the only way to do it is to just buy another battery pack and have that with me. if I could do it over I would have spent the extra money for the Vado with the 60 mile range. I am 77 years old and ride for fun and fitness. It will be interesting to see what parts get replaced this time around - they initally thought the belt had failed. When I brought the bike in at the end of last season it needed a chain and sprockets at 2400 miles and the mechanic told me that was about 1,000 miles farther than most people get for use on electric bikes because of the torque of the exectric motor assist. I clean and lube every 100 miles unless I got caught riding in wet conditions so the maintance paid off. My experience with the electric bike riding is that it has put the fun back into riding - I have been riding for 72 years and I like that I can go twice as fast and1/3rd farther in the same time as without electric assist.

I have owned my 2018 3.0 Vado since may of 2018 and have had the broken rear wheel spoke issue with one spoke breaking at about 2,000 miles. The rest of the bike has been trouble-free until a few days ago when the odometer showed 4800 miles and the motor jammed up and stopped working. Luckily I was able to get a ride home and then took it to the shop and was told that I had not done anything wrong to cause the failure and they would call me when they got in the parts and had finished the repairs. So far - nearly 3 weeks have gone by and I haven't heard from them so I figure the parts were probably on back order. I really love this bike and my only complaint is that if I ride it at the speeds I like (22 -24 MPH) the range is about 30 miles. If there is a way to upgrade to a larger battery pack for more range I would do it in a minute but the shop manager at my bike shop says the only way to do it is to just buy another battery pack and have that with me. if I could do it over I would have spent the extra money for the Vado with the 60 mile range. I am 77 years old and ride for fun and fitness. It will be interesting to see what parts get replaced this time around - they initally thought the belt had failed. When I brought the bike in at the end of last season it needed a chain and sprockets at 2400 miles and the mechanic told me that was about 1,000 miles farther than most people get for use on electric bikes because of the torque of the exectric motor assist. I clean and lube every 100 miles unless I got caught riding in wet conditions so the maintance paid off. My experience with the electric bike riding is that it has put the fun back into riding - I have been riding for 72 years and I like that I can go twice as fast and1/3rd farther in the same time as without electric assist.
You can get your battery rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of the extended battery. it all fits in the same casing just more range.

If there is a way to upgrade to a larger battery pack for more range I would do it in a minute but the shop manager at my bike shop says the only way to do it is to just buy another battery pack and have that with me. if I could do it over I would have spent the extra money for the Vado with the 60 mile range.
I don't have mine yet, but if I've read some things correctly, I thought that all the Vados had essentially interchangeable battery packs. Your is probably around 400Wh, so you might be able to swap in a 500Wh or even the 600Wh battery. Color match is of course a problem, but the expense is the biggest hurdle -- about USD$900 according to the reviews.

I don't have mine yet, but if I've read some things correctly, I thought that all the Vados had essentially interchangeable battery packs. Your is probably around 400Wh, so you might be able to swap in a 500Wh or even the 600Wh battery. Color match is of course a problem, but the expense is the biggest hurdle -- about USD$900 according to the reviews.
This is correct. The bigger one is 604 Wh, vs. yours which is probably 460 Wh. But the replacement list for $900 USD (ouch).

Back