Vado 3.0 vs 4.0 (U.S. market)

Thanks for the reply - I am waiting to see how others are upgrading to get more range.
Warning this is a boring sad post. I’m trying to be realistic, sorry if I sound to negative.
Would be nice with an additional battery pack like the Range Extender that’s made for the Turbo Creo road bike.
I doubt it’s going to happen but will be happy if I’m wrong :)
Rebuilt packs with higher capacity for Vados is something I’ve never heard of but of course not all Vado owners post on this site.
As mentioned the only battery pack Specialized has on their website is the 604Wh $900 pack. There was a 400Wh battery that came with the Vado 1.0 but I’ve never seen a price for it. Guess it would cost about $700 if it was for sale through Specialized.
Maybe it’s possible to find a used battery pack for the Vado/Como?

Edit
I just saw that the 400Wh battery is still being put on some Vado models. I thought the 460Wh was the smallest now.

Last edited:
Late yesterday afternoon I got a call that the bike was ready to be picked up - a new drive motor was installed at no charge under warranty so when the weather permits here in MN I will be back on the trail. The only fly in the ointment was that with the new motor the odometer was set back to zero so there went my being able to see 5000 miles on it in two riding seasons. Whoa is me, my bragging rights show-and-tell opportunity is gone for a couple more seasons. Man, I love the balance of this bike - I just wish I had known enough to spend the extra to get the Vado with 60 mile range.

Reactions: PaD
Color match is of course a problem, but the expense is the biggest hurdle -- about USD$900 according to the reviews.

Color match of the (battery) cover is no problem at all as you can use your old cover on your new Specialized battery. Or buy a new cover for app. 25€.

Rebuilt batteries I havn't seen in the market on offer for Specialized Vados. Too complicated to rebuild as the electronics are "wrapped around" the cells and break easily when trying to take the battery apart.

Last edited:
So I made my choice. My LBS notified me they had a 2020 Turbo Vado 3.0 set for me to take, if that is what I wanted. Still torn between that and the 4.0, I went down to check it out. First, the owner let me test his own 2020 3.0, and I found that although it had not quite as much oomph for really steep hills, it was perfectly capable, and also seemed even more pleasant on flats / slight inclines, because the motor is smoother (especially in Turbo, where you really notice the motor kicking in and out at 32 kilometres on the T or 1.2; not at all on the 1.2E). Second, the 3.0 that Specialized sent for me is a color that I like much better than the smokey robin egg blue of all the other 2020 3.0's I've seen. I took it for a first 20 kilometre ride yesterday, and enjoyed every moment. I am extremely pleased with my LBS (Elphi-Cycle in Roberts Creek, BC), and with Specialized. Specialized truly stands behind their products.

Attachments

• new bike day.jpg
    new bike day.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 470
Back