Purchase advise for a Vado

Clement

Region
Europe
Hello all,

I want to purchase an ebike for the first time, both for commute on bicycle lanes or roads (~12km each way) and the occasional ride on easy tracks.
I have a standard hybrid bike already but since I live in a pretty hilly area and don't want the commute to take too long or make me sweat a lot, I want to purchase an e-bike.
Since I am in Europe, the motor will help up to until 25km/h

I've looking at the Specialized bike among others (Cube, Trek) because of the brand reputation, the nice design and because they have a dealer nearby my house. I liked the overall package with the Vado. I also tried the Como but I like the posture in the Vado better. I have tried the following, all 2022/2023 versions:
- Vado 3.0 IGH: I liked it, rides very smoothy, I don't mind the twist shifter (I grew up using this). But the assistance felt barely sufficient for the 10-12% hills I'll encounter in my commute, even in turbo mode. I am really interested in the IGH from the standpoint of maintenance. The dealer said they are are able service it but parts procurement sometimes takes weeks.
- Vado 4.0 chain: It felt more responsive and fared better in slopes. It also has a lower "low gear" than the 3.0IGH, if you see what I mean, and a higher "high gear" which could enable me to push the bike past the 25km/h assistance limit on flat or descents. I am not capable to assess the benefit of the better components vs the 3.0IGH. Also, the bike felt noisy/clunky vs the 3.0 IGH and I am not looking forward to cleaning the chain.
- Vado 5.0 IGH: out of my budget. Very nice to not have to think about shifting gears but I found that I prefer to have control over the gear as the automatic shifter made me pedal too fast on the flat and too hard on hills. Not sure how much that can be adjusted. Due to the 25km/h limit, I also feel like the full power of the 5.0 wouldnt be fully utilized.

In the end, if a 4.0 IGH would exist , I would have purchased it but within the current line-up, I hesitate between the 3.0IGHand 4.0 chain which I can buy now for 2800 and 3000 EUR repectively.
Another consideration is that the curernt Vado line-up was released in Sep 2021 and I'd be bummed if a new model better suiting my needs or with better value would be released just after my purchase. Do you have any insight as for new releases ? Would a new model be more expensive ? Would the old model go on sale ?

Hence I seek the advice of you all ebike enthusiasts to help me with my purchase decision. Thanks in avance !

Hello all,

I want to purchase an ebike for the first time, both for commute on bicycle lanes or roads (~12km each way) and the occasional ride on easy tracks.
I have a standard hybrid bike already but since I live in a pretty hilly area and don't want the commute to take too long or make me sweat a lot, I want to purchase an e-bike.
Since I am in Europe, the motor will help up to until 25km/h

I've looking at the Specialized bike among others (Cube, Trek) because of the brand reputation, the nice design and because they have a dealer nearby my house. I liked the overall package with the Vado. I also tried the Como but I like the posture in the Vado better. I have tried the following, all 2022/2023 versions:
- Vado 3.0 IGH: I liked it, rides very smoothy, I don't mind the twist shifter (I grew up using this). But the assistance felt barely sufficient for the 10-12% hills I'll encounter in my commute, even in turbo mode. I am really interested in the IGH from the standpoint of maintenance. The dealer said they are are able service it but parts procurement sometimes takes weeks.
- Vado 4.0 chain: It felt more responsive and fared better in slopes. It also has a lower "low gear" than the 3.0IGH, if you see what I mean, and a higher "high gear" which could enable me to push the bike past the 25km/h assistance limit on flat or descents. I am not capable to assess the benefit of the better components vs the 3.0IGH. Also, the bike felt noisy/clunky vs the 3.0 IGH and I am not looking forward to cleaning the chain.
- Vado 5.0 IGH: out of my budget. Very nice to not have to think about shifting gears but I found that I prefer to have control over the gear as the automatic shifter made me pedal too fast on the flat and too hard on hills. Not sure how much that can be adjusted. Due to the 25km/h limit, I also feel like the full power of the 5.0 wouldnt be fully utilized.

In the end, if a 4.0 IGH would exist , I would have purchased it but within the current line-up, I hesitate between the 3.0IGHand 4.0 chain which I can buy now for 2800 and 3000 EUR repectively.
Another consideration is that the curernt Vado line-up was released in Sep 2021 and I'd be bummed if a new model better suiting my needs or with better value would be released just after my purchase. Do you have any insight as for new releases ? Would a new model be more expensive ? Would the old model go on sale ?

Hence I seek the advice of you all ebike enthusiasts to help me with my purchase decision. Thanks in avance !
According to my experience, the Vado 4.0 is the best value for money. In any case of the trouble with climbing (as it is the mid performance Specialized/Brose motor: stronger than the one in the 3.0 but weaker than it is in the 5.0), you could always replace the chainring with a 38T one and shorten the chain. IGH is far less efficient on the climbs than the chain system is. If you do not mind some maintenance work, I strongly recommend taking the 4.0. Note: The current Vado 4.0 comes with the 48T chainring. Going to a 38T will make the Vado a real mountain goat on roads!

Regarding the version, you should absolutely look for the model with the Mastermind display that was first introduced in (I think) 2022 Specialized commuter e-bikes.

That is, it should look like this:
1695056017312.png

But not like this one:
1695056072126.png

This one is a little bit obsolete now (the pre Mastermind, or Gen 1). This design is 6 years old now!

I understand the pre-Mastermind Vado is cheaper but why go with something you might have a trouble with getting a spare battery in the future?

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer.
Indeed, I was only looking at the newer models (2022/2023) as on the 1st picture. My concern was more related to a potential refresh of those bikes in the coming months, since the current model is already 2 years old.
Then I'll probably go fo the 4.0 now as the price seems fair. The 3.0 with IGH would be too weak for the hills, especially when carrying my son in a childs seat (forgot to mention this...)

My concern was more related to a potential refresh of those bikes in the coming months, since the current model is already 2 years old.
Specialized do not refresh a proven line of e-bikes too often. The new models typically come in new colours. Occasionally, the hardware is replaced. As Specialized seems to have standardized on SRAM components, I do not predict major changes in the coming years.

It took Spec five years to refresh the Vado/Como line. The first refreshed SL e-bike was released after 4 years, and it is only a single most expensive Levo SL model :)

The Vado 4 is a steal at the current price, and even at the normal $4,000.00 (US), it is extremely hard to beat. The ride is super smooth, and the quality is unsurpassed. My first Vado 4 delivered 3500 trouble free miles. I tried the Vado 5 IGH, and was very disappointed in its performance. The Vado 4 with the chain, felt fast, much faster, than the Vado 5 IGH with 90nm of torque. Hope that helps....

Back