Two different Turbo Vado SL 5.0s?!

Cat Panic

Region
USA
Hi all!

Last summer I bought the Vado 4.0 and it’s a fabulous bike, but for various reasons it’s more power than I now need. It’s also just too damn heavy for me. So, I’m looking at the SL, specifically the 5.0 (EQ) because of the suspension (the 4.0 seems like it’ll ride too rough for me).

When I look at the specialized website I see two different bikes, with different prices, with the same name (SL 5.0 EQ). They’re both on sale and, weirdly, the one that was originally more expensive has a less expensive sale price. I recall this was the case with the 4.0 I bought and think it had to do with model year, but I’m having trouble locating that info on their site with the SL 5.0.

Can anyone help differentiate the two versions of the bike?

Relatedly, is a big overhaul coming such that waiting would be a good idea? I’ve thought about that but it would be hard to justify any additional cost - I can’t think of what the bike would offer that would get me to spend more than the approx 4K (USD) the 5.0 demands.

Lastly, any do trade in programs exist or do I just need to sell the 4.0 privately?

Thanks for any input, particularly if you keep it simple - I’m not a wrench, just wanna ride my bike!

"They’re both on sale and, weirdly, the one that was originally more expensive has a less expensive sale price."

It looks like the main difference between the two is the drivetrain. The less expensive sale priced bike has Sram GX vs the higher priced bike with Shimano SLX. Purely speculation on my part, but maybe there was more profit margin built into the Sram equipped bike. In my opinion, the SLX drivetrain is superior to the Sram and worth the extra money. I'm sure some folks will think otherwise........

First of all, the more expensive model is MY2021,

and the less expensive one is MY2023.

The more expensive model comes with the older Gen1 TCU while the cheaper one has the new Mastermind TCU. Apart of that, the older model comes with a Shimano drivetrain while the new one is SRAM as you @sanyata have properly noticed. In my opinion, the older SL 5.0 EQ is beautifully painted. (I could see it in person).

It is a hard decision for @Cat Panic. If the frame colour were not a decisive factor, I would go for the less expensive newer version to have the current electronics as the difference between the drivetrains is actually not that big. Bear in mind, the 2021 model was probably manufactured in 2020, and it is still unsold!

Last edited:
Interesting. Looking at Specialized website....the "sale" prices have been increased on some models. My Vado SL 4.0 that I bought in June (on sale) for $2499 is now $2999.

Edit: OP I am in the USA too....and I am not seeing two differing Vado SL 5.0 EQ's with differing prices as you had suggested. I do see that the step-thru version costs more (not on sale).
The Vado SL 5.0 is on sale for $3750 (it was $3500 last week) and the SL 5.0 EQ is $3999 (I may have been $3499 last week?). I am not showing two differing SL 5.0 EQ's as of 1:20pm central today.
Check again. You sure you aren't comparing EQ with non EQ?

Edit Again: I do see a differing Vado SL 5.0 EQ in tarmac black/Cast Battleship/Black reflective colorway for $4499, however, it is sold out in all sizes (Shimano SLX version). The SRAM GX Eagle version is the (current) available version. This must have been the 2020-2021 version?....and not the current iteration.
I have the lesser SRAM NX on my Vado SL 4.0.....and I am quite pleased with it for what its worth.

Last edited:
I ordered a 5.0 SL last week - take delivery tomorrow and am excited :) The sale price on the website is the same as last week. The 4.0 SL seems to have bumped up $500 from last weeks sales price. I also see the two EQ offerings you mention on the website with the more expensive being out of stock.

I ordered a 5.0 SL last week - take delivery tomorrow and am excited :) The sale price on the website is the same as last week. The 4.0 SL seems to have bumped up $500 from last weeks sales price. I also see the two EQ offerings you mention on the website with the more expensive being out of stock.
Enjoy your new bike. I'm sure glad I pick mine up at the previous sale price. Don't think I would have pulled the trigger a 3k.

It's out of stock on the Specialized site but not necessarily at some bike stores. Leaving it on the site allows folks to do a search for LBS availability.
Yes. Why should I buy an outdated e-bike though? :) Yes, I might. For the colour, and for the fact the 2021 Vado SL would work with the BLEvo app...

"They’re both on sale and, weirdly, the one that was originally more expensive has a less expensive sale price."

It looks like the main difference between the two is the drivetrain. The less expensive sale priced bike has Sram GX vs the higher priced bike with Shimano SLX. Purely speculation on my part, but maybe there was more profit margin built into the Sram equipped bike. In my opinion, the SLX drivetrain is superior to the Sram and worth the extra money. I'm sure some folks will think otherwise........
Super helpful, thanks!

First of all, the more expensive model is MY2021,

and the less expensive one is MY2023.

The more expensive model comes with the older Gen1 TCU while the cheaper one has the new Mastermind TCU. Apart of that, the older model comes with a Shimano drivetrain while the new one is SRAM as you @sanyata have properly noticed. In my opinion, the older SL 5.0 EQ is beautifully painted. (I could see it in person).

It is a hard decision for @Cat Panic. If the frame colour were not a decisive factor, I would go for the less expensive newer version to have the current electronics as the difference between the drivetrains is actually not that big. Bear in mind, the 2021 model was probably manufactured in 2020, and it is still unsold!
Thanks for the feedback. I know it “doesn’t matter,” but a beautifully painted bike is something to behold. One more thing to ponder!

For me, the model year 2022 SL 5.0 EQ with SRAM GX is much preferable. In addition to the Mastermind TCU (which is VERY useful), it provides a much wider range 12 speed drivetrain with its 11-50T NX cassette. I upgraded mine to the newer XD drive freehub and the 10-52T GX cassette. I also upgraded to a 46T Wolftooth chain ring. This provides a max 28 mph 11th gear ratio (46:12) at a cadence of 92 rpm. I then have an even higher 12th gear (46:10) for descents. I also have a lower 1st gear ratio (46:52) for grinding out climbs.

I also bought the bright yellow bike and named it the "Flying Banana". I have put about 1700 miles on the bike since purchasing it in August 2022.

20221008_112449.jpg
20220818_123606.jpg

Last edited:
Relatedly, is a big overhaul coming such that waiting would be a good idea? I’ve thought about that but it would be hard to justify any additional cost - I can’t think of what the bike would offer that would get me to spend more than the approx 4K (USD) the 5.0 demands.

Lastly, any do trade in programs exist or do I just need to sell the 4.0 privately?
My guess is that they will eventually introduce the 1.2 motor to the Vado SL line and want to clear inventory of the old models. OFC since they are still selling the earlier non-mastermind models they may just be clearing inventory ;). My bet is the 1.2 will come to the Vado SL as it has already for the Creo/Levo. I do note that they have also reduced Tero (no X) models as well as other reports of general oversupply in the ebike market. It's up to you whether the 1.2 is worth speculating/waiting for. It will still have less assist than your Vado but more than the currently offered SLs. Since I already have a 2020 SL, I'll wait til the 1.2 is offered and test ride to determine if worth it for me.

Many of the bike shops in the SF Bay Area offer trade ins - either based on Bicycle Blue Book or Pro's Closet. I did this last year and it went well. So ask your LBS or peruse their websites to see if they do this as well. You likely will get more in a private sale at the cost of your time and energy.

Can you eventually change the battery on those SL models? I ask since they are integrated.
The internal SL batteries are not integrated but rather very well concealed. To remove and replace the internal SL battery you need to drop the motor (like, 6 bolts), unscrew the battery from the frame, remove the battery plug, and remove the battery. Then, inserting and reinstalling a new battery is the reverse process. Interestingly, an SL e-bike can work without the internal battery if an external SL Range Extender battery is used instead (some people do it to transport the e-bike with a plane and then ride the e-bike at a distant location).

My guess is that they will eventually introduce the 1.2 motor to the Vado SL line and want to clear inventory of the old models. OFC since they are still selling the earlier non-mastermind models they may just be clearing inventory ;). My bet is the 1.2 will come to the Vado SL as it has already for the Creo/Levo.
I was thinking about this - on one hand it makes that they'd move the Vado & Como SL models to the 1.2 motor, but they'd also potentially be cannibalizing the Vado / Como 3.0 sales since the SL1.2 is pretty close to the motor in those. SL1.2 motor is 2.3x max assist & 320W peak, 2.0E motor is 2.8x max assist & 430W peak.

@Cat Panic - don't know if you've made a change yet, but if want to see how an SL 1.1 motor feels at the default tune values, use Mission Control to set up your Vado 4.0 so Eco is 20/20, Sport is 40/40, and Turbo is 55/50. (e.g. 55% of max rider power amplification, 50% of peak power). To emulate the SL 1.2 motor the figures would be Eco 25/25, Sport 55/50, Turbo 70/70.

If the Vado 4.0 weight is a big issue for you, perhaps look for a good price on a used Vado SL 5.0 and switch to that for the time being. I'd definitely go with the 5.0 for the Future Shock - I have it on my Creo E5 and it's nice. It can also be upgraded to the new Future Shock 3.3 if you wished.

Last edited:
Back