Using Heart rate with Mission Control, Smart Control

DaveHertle

I am a few weeks into a new 2020 Vado 3.0. I am valuing the ability of Mission Control to manage input from the motor to manage my battery use over time or distance. Now I am attempting to use the heart rate function of Smart Control to pair my motor assistance with my cardio output.
I have a heart rate sensor which is read by the TCD. However, so far, I can not see that Mission Control is picking up my pulse rate.
In troubleshooting the issue, my first question is where does the Mission Control app get my pulse reading; 1) From TCD (where it is present now as I ride, or 2) Does my android device need to make a separate blue-tooth connection with my heart rate monitor to read my pulse.
What I expect to find is that once my heart rate is read by Smart Control, my minimum and maximum heart rates that I enter will either dampen and/or increase assistance from the motor as I work out.

Glad to hear Dave. If you check out the thread I started for owners of 40 lb. or less road ebikes you'll laugh about my experience using the HRM. I've been stupid a couple of times and I almost blew up on hills because of it.

Glad to hear Dave. If you check out the thread I started for owners of 40 lb. or less road ebikes you'll laugh about my experience using the HRM. I've been stupid a couple of times and I almost blew up on hills because of it.
I like as how on a forum like this, one of us can be open about our questions, our ignorance, our learning curve and others that have been through that can voice their experience and information and all that read the forum can benefit, not only from the question but also the answer.

To continue this theme: Can either the TCD or Mission Control pick up heart rate from my Apple watch? The TCD directions say a chest monitor but when I run Strava from my watch it seems to pick up my heart rate.

What does TCD stand for?

I put my Garmin into broadcast mode, but even with that the Mission Control app on my phone for some reason didn't pick it up. I need an external strap. Not sure why it didn't work for me. I'll try again.

TCD = Turbo Connect Display. It's the Specialized computer that wirelessly connects to the TCU controller on the Creo. It tracks and displays distance, speed, cadence, power, etc. It will also track heart rate but I can't get it to read from the Apple watch.

I'm headed out for a ride so I'll see if the Mission Control app picks up the heart rate.

It's TCD-W (wired) in Turbo Vados and Comos, TCD (wireless) in Levos. Kenevos and Creos.
To continue this theme: Can either the TCD or Mission Control pick up heart rate from my Apple watch? The TCD directions say a chest monitor but when I run Strava from my watch it seems to pick up my heart rate.
It is a different technique with both the TCD and Mission Control to pair a HRM (heart rate monitor) With the TCD, you have to go back through the setup steps and when you reach the step option of monitor heart rate, after answering yes, pairing the device is the next step.
With Mission Control. Bike must be on, Enter Start ride on mission control, and go into setup to add a sensor. You may also have to turn Smart Control on first prior to searching for the sensor.

Mission Control does not see my Garmin HRM which is ANT+ only even if the phone it's running on (Samsung S9) has support for ANT+ (Strava sees the HRM sensor). I think MC is BT only, and that make the feature useless for me now.

It is a different technique with both the TCD and Mission Control to pair a HRM (heart rate monitor) With the TCD, you have to go back through the setup steps and when you reach the step option of monitor heart rate, after answering yes, pairing the device is the next step.
With Mission Control. Bike must be on, Enter Start ride on mission control, and go into setup to add a sensor. You may also have to turn Smart Control on first prior to searching for the sensor.
Also, at the beginning of each ride, make sure the heartrate monitor is connected. I am tending to use Smart Control more to push me for a better cardio workout followed by Support from the
Brose as needed. 2nd mile of a 30 mile loop today and the big hill. I pushed hard to the top keeping thinking support would kick in at any moment. It never happened until I stopped and verified the sensor. Only after it connected, did I get the support. I liked riding in Smart Control with heart rate mode selected. Mission Control does a good job modulating the support level depending on your heart rate selection and current rate.

Mission Control does not see my Garmin HRM which is ANT+ only even if the phone it's running on (Samsung S9) has support for ANT+ (Strava sees the HRM sensor). I think MC is BT only, and that make the feature useless for me now.
I have Garmin chest strap HRM too and can't seem to connect to MC. But I can connect to the TCD-W and see the HR on the display.

I was doing more research on my Garmin HRM. The model number is HRM3-SS. It doesn't look like it has Bluetooth at all. It only connects via ANT+. I think that is the reason why I can not connect to MC. My Pixel phone does not support ANT+. There is a chance this is not MC's fault. Need to get a HRM with bluetooth or a new phone with ANT+ support to know for sure.

I asked Specialized support about future Apple Watch heart rate monitor support and they claimed it wasn’t possible. This is obviously BS and I told them so. After all, Strava and several other apps do so. I suspect they either don’t want to pay any possible licensing fees, or are otherwise unwilling. Since many of the obviously affluent Turbo owners own Apple products, this seems short sited or just dumb.

Since I want to us Mission Control, I have to integrate with Strava for health monitoring. But to get BPM data into my rides, I have to use the watch with Strava. This results in data from two rides when there is actually only one. making my Strava cumulative data inaccurate. This is very frustrating. I’m willing to accept,that they’re “working on it” or it’s a future direction. Instead they’re ignoring a sizable segment of their customers.

Since Specialized doesn’t seem to provide any info on which HRMs work with Mission Control, they apparentals don’t really care about their customer’s needs.

It‘s too late to change my bike now. This is very disappointing.

I use a Scosche HRM monitor and it works well for me. I have a HR sensor in my Garmin watch, but I use both. Not a big deal for me, but I understand your frustration.

You guys should get an Apple Watch. 🤓
None of that chest strap stuff and it tracks my heart rate, elevation gain, gps route, calories burned (average & total per month) and tracks my average speed, and distance (average & total per month).

Back