Using Heart rate with Mission Control, Smart Control

You guys should get an Apple Watch. 🤓
None of that chest strap stuff and it tracks my heart rate, elevation gain, gps route, calories burned (average & total per month) and tracks my average speed, and distance (average & total per month).
I have an Apple Watch. The problem is that Mission Control can’t make use of the watch’s HRM. Therefore I run Strava on my watch/iPhone and sync Mission Control with Strava resulting in two records for a ride. One with heart rate metrics and one with bike metrics. Very annoying and it makes the cumulative stats extremely inaccurate. It’s not a problem yet, with only 6 weeks of problematic data. It would be an issue going forward, though.

I have to decide whether to stay with the current approach or investigate investing is an alternative.

I have an Apple Watch. The problem is that Mission Control can’t make use of the watch’s HRM. Therefore I run Strava on my watch/iPhone and sync Mission Control with Strava resulting in two records for a ride. One with heart rate metrics and one with bike metrics. Very annoying and it makes the cumulative stats extremely inaccurate. It’s not a problem yet, with only 6 weeks of problematic data. It would be an issue going forward, though.

I have to decide whether to stay with the current approach or investigate investing is an alternative.
I confess I don’t use anything other than the Apple Watch so I’m not trying to sync with anything. I’m keeping things as simple as possible. I don’t pay any attention to the bikes metrics beyond what my Purion tells me, which ain’t much! Best of luck!

I'm pretty sure my Garmin provides all the fitness metrics the Apple Watch does and more. I'd challenge you to find a fitness metric the AW provides that my Garmin Fenix 5X plus does not.

My Garmin reads the power signals the Creo sends to it, can the AW provide power data?

I'm pretty sure my Garmin provides all the fitness metrics the Apple Watch does and more. I'd challenge you to find a fitness metric the AW provides that my Garmin Fenix 5X plus does not.

My Garmin reads the power signals the Creo sends to it, can the AW provide power data?
My point was I’m not wearing any chest strap while riding. Can you do an EKG with your Garmin?

Hmm, not sure that I can do that. I do have a wrist based HRM on my Garmin. The Scosche isn't a chest strap but a arm strap. I use it for the Mission Control just as an AW user would have to. If I'm not using the Smart Control on my Creo then I don't wear my arm strap HRM.

Take a look at the BLEvo app. It’s Mission Control on steroids. I have an iPhone and Apple Watch. BLEvo will use the watch HR readings. It’ll also upload to Strava.

Take a look at the BLEvo app. It’s Mission Control on steroids. I have an iPhone and Apple Watch. BLEvo will use the watch HR readings. It’ll also upload to Strava.
Thanks for the pointer, I’m checking their facebook site and blog, but do you know if it works with The TurboVado 4 SL?

I have a Turbo Vado 4 and it works perfectly. I did have an issue where it was incorrectly reporting my battery capacity. I sent this to Paulo on Facebook Messenger and he released an update to fix that.

Thanks. Since the App Store says the latest update works with the Velo SL that implies it will work with the Vado SL too. I’ll check it out.

I like as how on a forum like this, one of us can be open about our questions, our ignorance, our learning curve and others that have been through that can voice their experience and information and all that read the forum can benefit, not only from the question but also the answer.
Thanks to DaveHertle for his advice for connecting a HRM to MC as well as to a Ant+ computer. I was going nuts trying to find out how to hook up my Bontrager Node 2.1 computer to my new Creo. His tips did the trick. Now I have speed, heart rate and cadence on one highly readable screen. MC is great for end of ride info, but not so much for during the ride.
Also thanks for the member's tip to loosen and re-torque the rear wheel spindle. Just got the bike and LBS wants to see it back in a few weeks, but the creak on hard pedalling was driving me nuts. Truely thought it was the crank arms. Nope. It was the wheels making the noise!

I have a Turbo Vado 4 and it works perfectly. I did have an issue where it was incorrectly reporting my battery capacity. I sent this to Paulo on Facebook Messenger and he released an update to fix that.
does this app work with Creo SL?

I also have a Mission Control issue with a Wahoo chest heart monitor. The strap connects to Mission Control and pairs correctly. One can see that there is a current BPM reading in Smart Control and at the end of the ride 'my ride" data shows average HR as well as Max HR.
However, when I am riding, I can't get a current BPM reading when that is selected on one of the the Stats drop down menu. I got the bike last fall and it worked fine until about three months or so ago. Specialized support suggested getting the Wahoo strap as opposed to the one I bought on Amazon. That did not make any difference. I have tried all of the various connectivity suggestions in this forum.
Does anyone else have this problem? Iphone 11.. Strap is Bluetooth and Ant+ compatible.

I also have a Mission Control issue with a Wahoo chest heart monitor. The strap connects to Mission Control and pairs correctly. One can see that there is a current BPM reading in Smart Control and at the end of the ride 'my ride" data shows average HR as well as Max HR.
However, when I am riding, I can't get a current BPM reading when that is selected on one of the the Stats drop down menu. I got the bike last fall and it worked fine until about three months or so ago. Specialized support suggested getting the Wahoo strap as opposed to the one I bought on Amazon. That did not make any difference. I have tried all of the various connectivity suggestions in this forum.
Does anyone else have this problem? Iphone 11.. Strap is Bluetooth and Ant+ compatible.
I have this same problem with a polar heart rate monitor. rideWithGPS shows the current heart rate, and the exported data from mission control shows it as well, and it matches, but while riding, mission control doesn't display it. I actually assumed it wasn't even reading it until I noticed that it was in the output file.

I export the mission control data to strava, and it's very complete and clean, but before I had the polar strap I would use the apple watch with rideWithGPS and merge the two data files with gotoes.org, which is very easy and fast. you just upload the two files, pick which streams you want (i'd only grab heart rate from the rwGPS data) and then it makes a new one.

I have this same problem with a polar heart rate monitor. rideWithGPS shows the current heart rate, and the exported data from mission control shows it as well, and it matches, but while riding, mission control doesn't display it. I actually assumed it wasn't even reading it until I noticed that it was in the output file.

I export the mission control data to strava, and it's very complete and clean, but before I had the polar strap I would use the apple watch with rideWithGPS and merge the two data files with gotoes.org, which is very easy and fast. you just upload the two files, pick which streams you want (i'd only grab heart rate from the rwGPS data) and then it makes a new one.
Thanks for the information on gotoes.org. I’d been looking for some way to merge Apple Watch heart rate data and here it was all along.

This will be useful

You have to go into sensors and pair the sensor with the app.
I am considering getting a smart watch (not sure which model, apple, pixel, samsung, off brand...) for monitoring heart rate. Does anyone know which smartwatches are compatible with the Specialized TCD?

Forget Apple for this kind of need. Apple Watch are unable to connect on a Specialized bike or even the app. Tried to focus on watches that have ANT+ connectivity like Garmin watches. I have a Garmin Venu 3 and I was able to connect it on my Turbo Tero X.

Back