Using Falco software for updates and speed settings

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys, I spent some more time with Rakesh from Falco E-Motors and we discussed the different software options that let you adjust power, sensitivity and speed on their electric bike motors. This video covers how to set it up and use it as an end user.

The wireless USB dongle is ~$50 and works with PC (or you can use Paralels or Boot Camp for Mac). The software to use it is free on their website. Here are some more specifics about using the system on their website.

I have been tinkering with these setting on my Falco 500W hub the last two evenings.

WOW, how cool and flexible! The response of the bike can vary drastically. You have to be careful or you might get surprised. I had one setting where I started to pedal, activated the torque sensor, got power, and it didn't stop! I had to apply throttle override and releas eor squeeze hard on brakes. So test ride after you program.

I am a bit handicapped at the moment because the battery in my console died, so I run off the base program without level adjustments. I'm not sure if water got in and corroded/shorted or what, but it doesn't work.

I also have programming software to load source code into the motor. Raksh just sent a new program, but I didn't care for it.... because it defaults to non-cruise or 20mph limit, and I cannot override with the console.

New battery in console now and able to select Cruise mode. (Over 20 mph limit).

Yes, water got into console, but it still works.

One issue with parameters is the reset button. It resets to constants set in the PC, or predetermined it appears. If I change the setting and broadcast, it won't hold those values when I return to change them. They default to a fixed set of numbers. bummer. BAsically, I have to remember what each setting was at, and re-enter, rather than just changing one at a time.

I put a Falco motor on my recumbent trike. I considered many other hub motors, and mid-drive systems, but the unique torque sensor on the Falco system won me over.
It was the right decision for me since the system isn't throttle or pedal-speed controlled; it increments motor assistance as you pedal harder. So I can still get a workout.
Or when I need a rest or just for fun ... I can just hit the thumb throttle and cruise. Now both I and my wife have this system installed on our recumbents.

I put a Falco motor on my recumbent trike. I considered many other hub motors, and mid-drive systems, but the unique torque sensor on the Falco system won me over.
It was the right decision for me since the system isn't throttle or pedal-speed controlled; it increments motor assistance as you pedal harder. So I can still get a workout.
Or when I need a rest or just for fun ... I can just hit the thumb throttle and cruise. Now both I and my wife have this system installed on our recumbents.
I have this system being installed on my Catrike 559 by Utah Trikes. I'm glad you are having such a good experience! I've had to rely on faith and confidence in Falco since so little information about user experience is available. Any experiences you have had would be appreciated. My 559 should be here next week.

I have this system being installed on my Catrike 559 by Utah Trikes. I'm glad you are having such a good experience! I've had to rely on faith and confidence in Falco since so little information about user experience is available. Any experiences you have had would be appreciated. My 559 should be here next week.
I have this system on my ICE Sprint FS-X. I had the wheel built up by Utah Trikes and installed the kit myself. Here is my review with pictures.
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=126797
-Tom

I have the 500w system on my Catrike Expedition and like it a lot though the 500w motor overheats and shuts down (thermal safety switch) pretty easily.

MLB,

There is an ability to adjust current settings and various assist levels. Those can be adjusted to lower the heating. 500W system can deliver output power of much higher than that. These motors are designed to enhance your cycling through pedal assist functions. Please send us an email with additional info and we can suggest correct settings for your ride. Please send to [email protected]

I have been tweeking and programming my Falco HX500 using a laptop and a USB ANT+ fob. It works fantastic and allows me to hone in on the setup I want.

Update 8/6/2017 - I've had the Falco 750w/48v system on my Catrike 5.5.9 for about 6 months and roughly 1200 miles. I love it! It works perfectly. My battery shows 53v at the beginning of a ride and about 49v after 40 miles. Not even breathing hard. I can keep up or lead all my friends and still get a great workout. For all you purists who poo-poo a pedal assist system I say, "wait until you are in your seventies with various infirmatives" anyway, I couldn't be happier! Regards, Ace

Update 8/6/2017 - I've had the Falco 750w/48v system on my Catrike 5.5.9 for about 6 months and roughly 1200 miles. I love it! It works perfectly. My battery shows 53v at the beginning of a ride and about 49v after 40 miles. Not even breathing hard. I can keep up or lead all my friends and still get a great workout. For all you purists who poo-poo a pedal assist system I say, "wait until you are in your seventies with various infermatives" anyway, I couldn't be happier! Regards, Ace

thanks Ace for the report. Cool stuff.

Q: What year is your Falco system? Did you get the freewheel (old version) or hub cassette style?
Do you have the Falco controller or an after market?

thanks Ace for the report. Cool stuff.

Q: What year is your Falco system? Did you get the freewheel (old version) or hub cassette style?
Do you have the Falco controller or an after market?

I got mine in Feb 2017. I believe it is the new hub cassette style. Everything is Falco. I have a wired console and a wireless one with plus/minus. I like the wireless one better. I want to be able to set my torque parameters and such using an iPhone or iPad. I haven't used a PC for years. I think Falco is going to have a Bluetooth option soon.

i just got the falco f7.7 system and have no idea how to make it work...i have the phone app and dont know how to connect to the motor or what the parameters mean...im going across america in a week and need some help i have a kit tadpole trike

You can't use it with JUST the phone app can you? You have the hxd display or whatever they are using now?

ok...so i think i know what the problem is...my phone doesnt have ant+

You don’t need ant+. Use BLE. You can do everything from the phone app. Do you have the wireless module plugged in to the motor? Call me and I’ll walk you through it. 3five2-5nine1-9six17 Rich

You can't use it with JUST the phone app can you? You have the hxd display or whatever they are using now?

You can run the system with just the iPhone app. You have to have the wireless module connected to the motor. You can use the phone as your display and to set or restore your parameters. It will give you readouts of speed and battery charge. I don’t even use a console most of the time. When I do, I run it in a wired configuration to avoid having to recharge the console battery. Regards

Back