Used Ebike - Specialized Turbo X 2015

Sim

Dear All,

I would need some advice regarding the pruchase of a second hand ebike with following features:

- specialized turbo X
- model 2015
- 6000 km (approx 3700 miles!)
- power of motor: 500w
- asking price: usd 2’ooo

I am quite worried about the mileage which is quite big. The person said that he look after the battery well by only recharding it when it was empty.

I would be very grateful for any advice/tips/recommendation you may have.

Many thanks!!

Dear All,

I would need some advice regarding the pruchase of a second hand ebike with following features:

- specialized turbo X
- model 2015
- 6000 km (approx 3700 miles!)
- power of motor: 500w
- asking price: usd 2’ooo

I am quite worried about the mileage which is quite big. The person said that he look after the battery well by only recharding it when it was empty.

I would be very grateful for any advice/tips/recommendation you may have.

Many thanks!!
Hey SIM, welcome. The miles are okay, great bike! The asking is high in my opinion. In 2017 there were new leftover '15 Turbo's selling for 2500. You can probably do better on the used market or even new leftovers from discount dealers. Ebike values drop like a stone once used.

Good luck!

Running the battery all the way down is not good for it. It would have been better if he charged it each time depends on how low he let it go before he charged it.

Not sure that is a good price if he bought a new battery before he sold it to you, certainly not with the original battery

I wouldn’t worry too much about the mileage, a friend put down 10k miles on a Turbo X before the motor died. The issue is how long Specialized will support that platform with spares and batteries.

Reactions: Sim
You can get a Juiced Bikes Cross Current S for $1699 new with a warranty, a bigger battery and more peak power. Biggest issue with the Specialized is the proprietary battery/controller and motor if something breaks the parts will be very expensive. I don’t think it’s a bad bike but I wouldn’t pay more than about $1k for it.

Dear all, thank you so much for your very valuable comments. They are all really helpful. I will ask the seller whether he changed the battery recently and try to negotiate the price down to 1000-1500.

I have also read that they were issues with the breaks C1. Is it true? I will use the bike for a very steep hill (both ways) everyday.

Many thanks for your help!!

Couple of things...

1. Brakes work ok. They just tend to squeak. The 2016 Turbo X had Shimano brakes which were better.
2. The 2015 Turbo X had a 200w motor same as base Turbo. The 2016 Turbo X had a 250w motor same as older Turbo S. Only the 2015 and later Turbo S had a 500w motor.

Many thanks again for your help!!

I have would also be interested in another specialized bike reference Turbo Levo HT 29, which is new and would cost usd 2’700. Is it a good opportunity and how does it compare with the turbo X 2015?

Many thanks to all in advance for your help and advice!

Simon

Turbo Levo HT 29
That's a very nice bike! Full disclosure, I ride a hardtail 29er. 2700 USD is a good price for a new bike. It's difficult to compare the 2 bikes though, as the X is a used hybrid hub driven bike and the 29er is a new mid drive MTB. Both good bikes, for different purposes. In my opinion the 29er is the much better buy.

You would get some good insight on Specialized bikes by reading posts in the Specialized forum:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/forum/specialized/

Good luck!

Back