Used 2020 Giant E+4 GTS ($1950 CAD) Vs. Brand new NCM Moscow Plus ($1699 CAD) E Bike, BETTER BUY?

asimabbasi4

Hey Court, hey guys, new to the forum.

Wanting to get in to Ebikes. I was wondering if I could just get a little input between 2020 Giant E+4 GTS and the 2020 NCM Moscow PLUS and which YOU would purchase if you had the choice. Both these bikes are available around $1700 CAD . The Giant will be used but the NCM will be brand new through. I thank you for your time and patience.

100% the used Giant with a Yamaha motor over a Chinese no-name stamped bike every day of the week. Do you want a motor built by one of the biggest motor manufacturing companies in existence (and attached to an internationally known brand name bike), or one pumped out of some random factory that is sold under who knows how many stamped no-name brands with no future support? Battery life isn't a concern for a used 2020 bike, it will run for many thousands of miles, erm, kilometres to come!

100% the used Giant with a Yamaha motor over a Chinese no-name stamped bike every day of the week. Do you want a motor built by one of the biggest motor manufacturing companies in existence (and attached to an internationally known brand name bike), or one pumped out of some random factory that is sold under who knows how many stamped no-name brands with no future support? Battery life isn't a concern for a used 2020 bike, it will run for many thousands of miles, erm, kilometres to come!
THIS IS WHY I posted here. THANK YOU pxpaulx mate! Please more suggestions from anyone would only teach me more and I am hungry to learn more.

Giant. Hands down. 👍
But go ride them both and then see what YOU think.
So I did test drive them both, and I actually enjoyed the NCM a bit more, only due to the fact that there is a throttle option. My main concern is that I do not wish to spend this much $, and be stuck with a dud in 3-5 years. I will be putting 600 miles / 1000km maximum a season. Giant and Yamaha are two top brands in their respective fields, so will be the safer choice.

And I just recieved a price update on both, the Moscow Plus will actually be 1450 and the Giant will be taxed so will run up to almost 1950. So there is a $500 difference. Still worth to go for the Giant? The NCM bike I can get next week, but the Giant, I have to wait until October to purchase.

Hey Court, hey guys, new to the forum.

Wanting to get in to Ebikes. I was wondering if I could just get a little input between 2020 Giant E+4 GTS and the 2020 NCM Moscow PLUS and which YOU would purchase if you had the choice. Both these bikes are available around $1700 CAD . The Giant will be used but the NCM will be brand new through. I thank you for your time and patience.

Where can you purchase this for $1700 CAD + tax ?

I'm going to suggest the NCM. However I have no personal experience with either Bike. I go for bigger motor, bigger battery, extra battery cheaper, throttle, and general components easy to change or fix, and less expensive. It's your first bike, you won't get the perfect bike for that price yet. I would not by an e-bike without a throttle, but many do. It's a very personal thing, and you rode them both, so you'll have to take a chance on one.

Both are good deals assuming you are pricing in CAD. The Moscow would be ~$1K USD. I might choose it if you are looking for more of a commuter. The 2020 Giant E+4 GTS might give you more options off road, on steeper terrain, etc. where the advantages of a mid drive shine. The Giant will also be lighter if you need to carry it up stairs. I guess it really depends on where you ride and what you're looking for. Not enough data.

Would ride it pretty much on city roads that are flat and well paved for 20-25 km each way. Would once in a while go to a trail but not as often. The only one gripe with the Giant is that its availability is in October only, so I will not get to ride it this season whatsoever. Goal is to purchase the bike with the best motor/battery combo that is more future proof.

Why would a 'used bike' take 6 months to get?
I would not choose a bike I couldn't ride. But I'm not one to wait for things - I make an informed decision and GO!

I have invested $8600 USD in Giant ebikes in the past 6 months. IMHO there is no comparison vs a hub-drive ebike - and we have one of those too, with a throttle!

Choose a reliable dealer, it can make the difference between delight and despair in the overall experience.
Same can be said for the bike. The Yamaha sync-drive has a bulletproof reputation. Giant ain't too shabby either.

So the Giant will be used and sold through rentabike.com, they rent their bikes for a season and then have an end of sale season in October. Located in Ottawa. I have bought a Giant Toughroad SLR 2 from them and love that bike. Browneye, you personally would not purchase the NCM Moscow Plus at 1450?

who would recommend getting an ebike kit and converting the Toughroad SLR 2 in to an e bike instead of purchasing one of these 2? Preferably rear hub drive.

So the Giant will be used and sold through rentabike.com, they rent their bikes for a season and then have an end of sale season in October. Located in Ottawa. I have bought a Giant Toughroad SLR 2 from them and love that bike. Browneye, you personally would not purchase the NCM Moscow Plus at 1450?

The problem is that I don't know anything about them. They may well be a very good model. I have tested a plethora of hub-drive bikes, as well as all the modern mid-drives. IMO there is no comparison. But it all depends on usage and personal preference.

I put a 500w Bafang hub drive in wife's Specialized Roll - a comfy crank-forward cruiser, rigid fork, disc brakes, balloon tires. She loved it. After about 4 or 500 miles the motor quit. Did a lot of troubleshooting and threw some parts at it, and finally got the motor replaced under warranty from the China supplier, but it took 6 weeks.

In the meantime we wanted to ride, and were fed up with the hassle, so I bought her the sister bike to the Explore, of which I already had and absolutely love the bike.

So her side by side comparison is that the rider interface with the mid-drive is much much smoother. The hub drive is more of an off/on switch, which is partly due to the cheap controller. When it switches on it does it's best to power up to the speed level of the particular PAS setting you have set, whatever that speed is. She thinks more core strength makes up for some of this jerkiness, but core strength also assists with a more aggressive ride stance for pedaling at speed. So that's kind of a tradeoff too. The mid-drive provides more assist the harder and faster you pedal, it's much more variable, and much smoother the way it engages - it's nearly transparent. Both are virtually silent, and both have similar range. Some of the hub-drive systems have better controller programming for smoother operation. That would be a consideration for me. Again, I have zero experience with the NCM bikes.

The Giant has 700c wheels vs the 27.5 or 650b wheels on the Roll - and that comes into play somewhat as well. IMO bigger wheels are always an advantage, but not everyone sees it that way. In fact, there are plenty people with 20" minis and folders, fatbikes, and 26'rs like the RadCity. They all have their place. Overall the Giant is a much more refined bike in almost every way. Pic of both below.

A mid-drive augments all of your derailleur gears, making them very good for hill climbing. A hub-drive doesn't care what gear you're in - it provides the speed assist for whatever level your PAS is set for. The mid-drives are class-1 bikes, a throttle makes them class 2, but generally they get lumped together for permitted path riding.

She really likes the new bike, but still likes the old one too, wants to keep them both. And now we have a couple of extra bikes for guests.

Hope this helps...but probably muddies the waters further. LOL

And my Explore...

Last edited:
BTW, I put 2.35 tires on mine and it really made the ride plush. These are Schwalbe Big Apple tires. The Marthon Plus in 1.75" went on her LIV Amiti. I would still like to get her a 2" tire, like the Big Ben.

I'm not a big fan of the 'cross-cut gravel' tires that come with the Giant bikes. They're kind of skinny, but pretty pliable and soft, and lightweight, so they ride okay, but are not very flat-proof. I have two sets of new take-offs. LOL

Oh, and I also added a 45* stem riser, and a cheapo suspension seatpost. The cargo rack I've passed from bike to bike for a bazillion years. Hers got a new one. I added a taller and shorter reach stem for hers to improve the stance, shorter reach, a little more upright. Neither one of us can stand to be too leaned over - we're getting on in age. ;)

The RideControl smartphone app for the sync-drive is pretty cool - a Bluetooth interface that gives you a nav map, and all your speed and distance stats. Hence the phone mount on the bars for both bikes. I can simultaneously stream Sirrus XM to a BT speaker that hangs on my bar as well. 👍

Last edited:
On the Toughroad - that's a great looking bike. If it's fairly current, has disc brakes, and the 50mm tires, it could be a decent candidate for a conversion, either a mid-drive or a rear hub.
You'll likely spend nearly as much doing this as buying the built hub-drive bike. Budget at least a grand for the build.
And you need some technical and good DIY skills, and tools, and be able to tweak and troubleshoot. Otherwise it can turn into a nightmare.

There are kit sellers for both hub and mid-drive, plenty of decent Bafang motors out of China. But it's kind of a crap shoot as to what you'll actually get, component-wise, and getting service by any third party is nigh impossible - a regular bike shop won't touch them. And while domestic sellers offer some better parts and some technical assistance, they also charge a premium for their products. It can be an option, but it's not such that you will save yourself a bunch of money.

I've built all kinds of stuff, am pretty technically adept, so building one was fine. But when it quit, I didn't have a spare part for everything to swap in for troubleshooting, so it soon became a complete mystery on how to get it fixed. I swapped out the controller, traced and tested wiring, swapped sensors, and moreorless fiddled for hours, till I was ready to tear my hair out (I don't have any LOL). In the end I shipped everything back to the sellers warranty depot wherein they determined the motor had burned out, so they replaced it.

I like to say, if you're an airplane mechanic and can build a boat, you can probly build an ebike. It's also easy to get in over your head - you have to enjoy tinkering. :cool:

Last edited:
Back