Used 2020 Giant E+4 GTS ($1950 CAD) Vs. Brand new NCM Moscow Plus ($1699 CAD) E Bike, BETTER BUY?

I'm not dreaming. I'm repeating exactly what the OP said. They may be quoting price in USD instead of CAD. $1450 CAD => $1K USD. That's why I asked. Edit: oh I see what you mean, I meant to say Moscow Plus not suggest they dowgrade to the entry level Moscow.

I just recieved a price update on both, the Moscow Plus will actually be 1450

Last edited:
I'm not dreaming. I'm repeating exactly what the OP said. They may be quoting price in USD instead of CAD. $1450 CAD => $1K USD. That's why I asked.
Hey tomdav, so these are prices just for me and the way they work in my head. Sorry for misleading. Amazon.ca has NCM MOSCOWN PLUS for $1699 cad including tax. I have their MBNA rewards card, so that is 5% cash back, which is about $85, and then personally I have an Amazon gift card worth $150, so that brings price around $1465. Its really $1615 for anyone else if they have the Amazon credit card or $1699 CAD.

Ok that makes more sense. Technically the NCM is only 4% discount relative to buying the Giant with credit card unless you are also taking 1% off the Giant. I wouldn't mentally count the $150 Amazon GC since it can be used for other stuff. Sounds more like a ~$225 difference. You liked the NCM better on the test ride so I would probably lean that way. I am also not sure you're getting a reasonable enough discount on the Giant. Check out crazy lennys discounts for a demo bike. They are 40% or more and that's for a lightly used demo. A rental bike would probably command a discount of more than 50%.

Ok that makes more sense. Technically the NCM is only 4% discount relative to buying the Giant with credit card unless you are also taking 1% off the Giant. I wouldn't mentally count the $150 Amazon GC since it can be used for other stuff. Sounds more like a ~$225 difference. You liked the NCM better on the test ride so I would probably lean that way. I am also not sure you're getting a reasonable enough discount on the Giant. Check out crazy lennys discounts for a demo bike. They are 40% or more and that's for a lightly used demo. A rental bike would probably command a discount of more than 50%.
Will do! Cheers mate !

Well I have a NCM Moscow Plus and am very happy with it. I use it as a commuter more than a MTB but it works for me just fine! I bought through Leon Cycle in Seattle for 1359.00 delivered to me in Eastern WA. The bike works for me has PLENTY of power and seems well made. I haven't ridden other Ebikes to compare it to so no idea where it fits in the grand scheme of Ebikedom.

Well I have a NCM Moscow Plus and am very happy with it. I use it as a commuter more than a MTB but it works for me just fine! I bought through Leon Cycle in Seattle for 1359.00 delivered to me in Eastern WA. The bike works for me has PLENTY of power and seems well made. I haven't ridden other Ebikes to compare it to so no idea where it fits in the grand scheme of Ebikedom.
Hey plepper, which other Ebikes had your interest before purchasing ? I am honestly looking at what ever is under $2000 CAD including tax and shipping. So found the NCM to be the best deal. How long is your commute and how does the battery last in comparison to the commute ?

Hey Guys, any other good Ebikes which can be had under $2000 CAD?

** also looking to sell my 2019 Giant ToughRoad Slr 2 in Ottawa, Canada to make up the $ for the E bike.

I don't know if Aventon is selling up in Canada, but they are a nicely made budget bike with a good company behind them. The Pace500 is plenty peppy, but class3, so not sure what the laws for Canada are. Yes, they'll go nearly 50kmh.

Ride1UP seems to offer a quality choice, but they're still pretty new and having trouble getting product shipped - most everything still on order. They're in San Diego - a direct-to-consumer company.

RadPower is very popular, but they don't really have a model that matches up to your toughroad - their claim to fame is their rover fatbike and the city commuter, pretty nice, 26" wheels, direct drive hub. I've ridden both an liked the city better. Their other models are cargo or folder, or scooter style. You can check them out on their site. Also sells direct to consumer.

Surely there are others...

If you buy a bike thru Amazon make sure you have someone local that can fix if for you, should it have any failures. Sometimes getting warranty work for something bought over the internet can be beyond frustrating. Too many complaints about some direct sellers, so they drop off my radar.

Since you're in a fairly populated area there should be a variety of local bike shops (LBS) that have product for sale. I would visit as many of them as you can stand - try as many bikes as you can stand.

The big-3 offer very nice bikes - Trek Specialized, and Giant, with good dealer backing. I would at least look at them, try them, to educate yourself. You may decide to expand your budget for something you find that really clicks. It's just not about finding the lowest price - factor in length of ownership and joy of use. "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten", apropos here.

Excellent advice! Browneye you have been nothing but beyond amazing with this! Highly appreciate you putting your time into helping me! Thank YOU. And thanks to everyone else as well, much appreciate all the input. Have learned more through here in a couple days than a couple weeks myself.

I don't know if Aventon is selling up in Canada, but they are a nicely made budget bike with a good company behind them. The Pace500 is plenty peppy, but class3, so not sure what the laws for Canada are. Yes, they'll go nearly 50kmh.

Ride1UP seems to offer a quality choice, but they're still pretty new and having trouble getting product shipped - most everything still on order. They're in San Diego - a direct-to-consumer company.

RadPower is very popular, but they don't really have a model that matches up to your toughroad - their claim to fame is their rover fatbike and the city commuter, pretty nice, 26" wheels, direct drive hub. I've ridden both an liked the city better. Their other models are cargo or folder, or scooter style. You can check them out on their site. Also sells direct to consumer.

Surely there are others...

If you buy a bike thru Amazon make sure you have someone local that can fix if for you, should it have any failures. Sometimes getting warranty work for something bought over the internet can be beyond frustrating. Too many complaints about some direct sellers, so they drop off my radar.

Since you're in a fairly populated area there should be a variety of local bike shops (LBS) that have product for sale. I would visit as many of them as you can stand - try as many bikes as you can stand.

The big-3 offer very nice bikes - Trek Specialized, and Giant, with good dealer backing. I would at least look at them, try them, to educate yourself. You may decide to expand your budget for something you find that really clicks. It's just not about finding the lowest price - factor in length of ownership and joy of use. "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten", apropos here.
Amegoev.com does sell the aventon pace 500 in Canada, ends up being around $2400 CAD with the 48v 14 A battery.

I have to say I looked at all the usual suspects including Rad, Himiway, M2C, and the like. I went to several local bike shops and looked at Specialized,Trek and some others. The shop bikes although nice were not what I was looking for Price wise or features. I'm a big guy and the Moscow Plus has done fine for me battery wise, I don't have a lot of miles on it yet but normal riding on mostly flat terrain for about 15 miles on assist 1thru 3 hardly any battery use on the meter. I have no problem believing the stated battery ranges. When it came down to it the price was dropping on the Leon Cycles website and when it got to 1279.00 I pulled the plug. it has since gone up ti 1334.00 and I think that's a great deal. I talked to the people at Leon and they seemed very knowledgeable and forthright. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists). Check out the reviews here on EBR as I think it was spot on for the bike.

Any one have any input on the Magnum Peak bikes? They are the exact same as NCM Moscow Plus... yet Court reviewed the Peak with almost a higher score. Not sure if Magnum has a better brand name compared to the upcoming NCM?

I have to say I looked at all the usual suspects including Rad, Himiway, M2C, and the like. I went to several local bike shops and looked at Specialized,Trek and some others. The shop bikes although nice were not what I was looking for Price wise or features. I'm a big guy and the Moscow Plus has done fine for me battery wise, I don't have a lot of miles on it yet but normal riding on mostly flat terrain for about 15 miles on assist 1thru 3 hardly any battery use on the meter. I have no problem believing the stated battery ranges. When it came down to it the price was dropping on the Leon Cycles website and when it got to 1279.00 I pulled the plug. it has since gone up ti 1334.00 and I think that's a great deal. I talked to the people at Leon and they seemed very knowledgeable and forthright. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists). Check out the reviews here on EBR as I think it was spot on for the bike.
So $1279 USD with exchange rate of 1USD=1.33 CAD prior to the Covid 19, equals $1701 CAD, which is what amazon.ca has it priced at right now, and the seller is also Leon cycles, and with the MBNA CC (5% CB), get $85 back... 😱 brain is totally fried from the research 🤪

So $1279 USD with exchange rate of 1USD=1.33 CAD prior to the Covid 19, equals $1701 CAD, which is what amazon.ca has it priced at right now, and the seller is also Leon cycles, and with the MBNA CC (5% CB), get $85 back... 😱 brain is totally fried from the research 🤪
I know what you mean I finally just said screw it and pulled the trigger! here is a link to the shop that provided the NCM bikes for the EBR reviews https://www.amegoev.com. I research any major purchase not because I'm cheap but because I want the knowledge to make an informed decision. I am very happy with my purchase

Hey Court, hey guys, new to the forum.

Wanting to get in to Ebikes. I was wondering if I could just get a little input between 2020 Giant E+4 GTS and the 2020 NCM Moscow PLUS and which YOU would purchase if you had the choice. Both these bikes are available around $1700 CAD . The Giant will be used but the NCM will be brand new through. I thank you for your time and patience.
Hi there. I have a Moscow 625 wh with a 250 hub it's comfortable a slid build had it a month done 500 miles on it would recommend

Must have missed this...
Did you purchase?
No. I went to buy it and after test riding it, he bump the price to $1200, so I declined. He denied agreeing to the $900 price even though it was in the chat. :rolleyes:
Later, I found a 2015 Haibike Xduro Urban with 1 mile on odometer from an estate sale for $1100 and bought that. The Haibike was in new condition. Unfortunately, the old owner was ill for a long time with terminal cancer and bought a bunch of things and never was well enough to enjoy it. The Giant bike was not in good condition, so I'm glad he did what he did.

Back