Upgrading from Cobi.bike to Nyon?

mkeys

Region
USA
I've been looking at what has developed in the Bosch ecosystem system I bought my Riese & Muller eBike in early 2020. I was surprised/interested to see that the "Smartphone Hub" isn't emphasized like it was when I purchased. Most of the excitement seems to be around the Nyon. I've been reading up on the Nyon and it looks like a nice little unit. I've also seen that Riese & Muller are selling upgrade kits compatible with my bike if I want to switch.

But I'm not sure I understand completely the value proposition of switching.

Are there any users out there that had been using the smartphone hub / cobi.bike app who have since upgraded to the Nyon? If so are there things you love about the Nyon that made that upgrade worth it or you'd really miss if you moved back to the smartphone? Anything you don't like now that you've upgraded?

The Nyon remains securely attached to your bike, regardless of terrain, unlike the smart phone hub which is known to send your phone flying. The custom screens and custom ride modes are great. All you ride data get saved to the Bosch cloud and compiled. All in all a purpose built device is far better than trying to do everything with a phone and putting it at risk of damage.

More secure certainly…but I have been disappointed. COBI hooked into Strava with all the information I required including my Apple Watch HR on the screen…insult to injury my watch HR is disabled by the Nyon. Another monitor is supported but why is the premium level less functional than the Smartphone hub. I just upgraded two Treks to the Nyon and wonder what the money got me. I haven’t availed myself of the Nyon Navigation though I’ve played with routes on Komoot which is supported. The Nyon‘s display though small is sharp And colorful. Navigation on the Smartphone hub is weak to non existent, In NA anyway, So that alone could sway you To the Nyon.

ya no strava automatically sucks and having to use another HRM. Navigation is so so. if you plan a route out and be sure to start it at the start and dont go off course it works fine. but I tried starting in the middle of a route and it just routes be back to the beginning. if a road not absolute on google it wont route there.

ya no strava automatically sucks and having to use another HRM. Navigation is so so. if you plan a route out and be sure to start it at the start and dont go off course it works fine. but I tried starting in the middle of a route and it just routes be back to the beginning. if a road not absolute on google it wont route there.
You find going to ebike connect and clicking a link burdensome? Sigh...
HRM that work with Nyon are a dime a dozen.
Glad to see that there are people who like cobi.bike. Or are you just venting as usual?

for the record, my switch to Nyon has given me a peace of mind that eluded me the year I had the smartphone hub and cobi.bike, which I found to be buggy, frustrating and not supported by Bosch. Their tech support for bugs consisted of the advice to re-install.

You find going to ebike connect and clicking a link burdensome? Sigh...
HRM that work with Nyon are a dime a dozen.
Glad to see that there are people who like cobi.bike. Or are you just venting as usual?

for the record, my switch to Nyon has given me a peace of mind that eluded me the year I had the smartphone hub and cobi.bike, which I found to be buggy, frustrating and not supported by Bosch. Their tech support for bugs consisted of the advice to re-install.
I ride sometimes 5 or 6 times a day. but the problem is the ride ends if the nyon turns off. so I use a garmin to pump info to strava as I bought it when I had a purion. actually the Nyon is very picky with HRMs though it may be better now I know it used to be very picky on what t will use. even then I may have to turn off bluetooth and back on at least once a day to keep the connection working.

I ride sometimes 5 or 6 times a day. but the problem is the ride ends if the nyon turns off. so I use a garmin to pump info to strava as I bought it when I had a purion. actually the Nyon is very picky with HRMs though it may be better now I know it used to be very picky on what t will use. even then I may have to turn off bluetooth and back on at least once a day to keep the connection working.
where do you get the "picky" idea? I have a cheap Xoss armband bought from Amazon last year. Connects with no problem.
You can also load a day's rides either individually or together through ebike connect, depending on certain settings in your Nyon. Sounds like you haven't yet explored all the features of ebike connect or your Nyon?

where do you get the "picky" idea? I have a cheap Xoss armband bought from Amazon last year. Connects with no problem.
You can also load a day's rides either individually or together through ebike connect, depending on certain settings in your Nyon. Sounds like you haven't yet explored all the features of ebike connect or your Nyon?
well let see I have been using the Nyon for 3 years and it was very picky with HRMS my garmin HRM would not work my garmin watch would not work. it may be better now I dont know I have not tested it. its just recently you could bundle them together. Thinking back maybe it was the Jinx that would not work with the garmin HRMs cant remember for sure.

Interesting feedback so far. So I do use Strava with Cobi.bike and it is nice how it integrates seamlessly. It sounds like the Nyon does it too but perhaps with a bit more effort?

As far as security of the phone on the bike I did have an incident early on with my old phone case where the phone came loose during a ride. Thankfully the charger held it on. I've since switched cases and haven't had issues since.

I use komoot to create maps and the Cobi.bike app for turn-by-turn directions which works okay. Someone up above pointed out it can struggle if you don't start from the route start point and I have experienced that. Sounds like the Nyon map/directions may be superior there which would be nice. I will say that I'm not sure I could just plug in a POI into a map and let it route me. If it is anything like Google Maps cycling directions anyways it would have me on roads I'm not comfortable riding. I typically route myself through neighborhoods until I can get to roads with cycle lanes.

I watched a video from Propel and it looks like the Nyon does most of the stuff I am used to but perhaps with more features, more configurability, etc.

Nyon is a very different experience from cobi.bike. If you like ride stats, information on climbing, rider and bike power, altitude graphs and such, Nyon is for you. If you like pretty maps, maybe cobi.bike. But oddly, the ride stats that cobi.bike displays never translate exactly to Strava. Strava seems to re-compute power and calories with cobi.bike but not Nyon.
Nyon does have one extra step to transfer to Strava, as discussed above.

I'm disappointed by my Nyon. The latest v3.0 software is rather buggy, and it's not been followed up by any bugfix by Bosch. I do wonder if they have lost interest and focusing on this week's new ebike system..

I'm disappointed by my Nyon. The latest v3.0 software is rather buggy, and it's not been followed up by any bugfix by Bosch. I do wonder if they have lost interest and focusing on this week's new ebike system..
I'm interested to hear what bugs have you experienced with the Nyon?

The only bug so far I have noticed well a few Bluetooth often does not connect. Maps I can’t start a map in the middle of the ride even if I am on track or will just steer me back to the beginning.

Yea, none of the Bosch stuff has been good at navigation! It's a puzzle, since the underlying technology is not new. My Garmins have been doing decent navi for what? 20 years? More like 25...

No problems with the latest Nyon software update on my device. The new features are useful. Unfortunately the in-device route planning/navigation remains useless for me where logical priority use of cycle paths is concerned. In another thread I've suggested that this may be particularly related to having an HS bike versus country cycle path regulations.

For those wanting to display smartwatch sourced HR on the Nyon and other cycle computers that don't already have the capability, I understand there are apps available for both Android and iOS to facilitate that.

For those having trouble with routing "insisting" on starting at the beginning of a route when already along the route I suspect choosing the start "From Next Point" rather than start "From Origin" would help. I use that option frequently.

Cheers

Last edited:
No problems with the latest Nyon software update on my device. The new features are useful. Unfortunately the in-device route planning/navigation remains useless. In another thread I've suggested that this may be particularly related to having an HS bike versus country regulations.

For those wanting to display smartwatch sourced HR on the Nyon and other cycle computers that don't already have the capability, I understand there are apps available for both Android and iOS to facilitate that.

For those having trouble with routing "insisting" on starting at the beginning of a route when already along the route I suspect choosing the start "From Next Point" rather than start "From Origin" would help.

Cheers
I think I tried both but can’t remember. I used to only use the older nyon and it was ok for navigation changing to the new one has been worse.

I'm interested to hear what bugs have you experienced with the Nyon?

The lock function is broken. It often unlocks, relocks and unlocks (some sort of retry mechanism). Always worked perfectly before be firmware, now very hit and miss. (20% of the time)

Sometimes after unlocking the motor has no drive, or very minimal drive. I need to change mode and back again to get full power. Again, never experienced this before v3, happens quite often. (30% of the time).

Units are displayed incorrectly, it confuses miles and km in some areas of the app.

I have raised support requests with Bosch on all of these, and it's pretty much radio silence, which re-enforces my belief they have moved on.

I performed this swap on two bikes last week - my 2022 Trek Allant 8s and my wife's 2022 Electra Vale Go 9D EQs. I came from the Smartphone Hub and she came from the Kiox. We both agreed that the Nyon was a good upgrade - not perfect, but a step up from either display for different reasons. I did like that Cobi would sync with Strava, but Im also fine with the Bosch Ebike Connect app, which captures everything nicely. The only thing I miss is the seamless heartrate data from my Apple Watch to the Cobi app. I've tried several bluetooth boradcast apps with the Nyon, but none of them work very well.

We've both found that the bluetooth stack on the Nyon is pretty flaky all around. Aside from the heartrate issue, we both have trouble keeping our iPhones connected and sync'ed to it, but the Wifi sync works flawlessly. I'm hoping that Bosch still plans on pushing out bug fixes for the Nyon since they've listed it as a controller for the "Ebike System 2" (the Marketing Team's name for "not the Smart System") on 2023 models.

This morning my wife's screen locked completely and she lost all power from the motor. I was able to restart the Nyon with a 10 sec long press to the power button, and it picked up all stats from where she left off. Not sure whats up there. She does have the "bike lock" feature enabled. Maybe there was a glitch with that.

2D and 3D maps look exactly the same as well. That may be a PEBCAK issue though.

Anyone know for sure if Bosch plans on future updates past 3.0.0.0?

You main issue is more of an Apple one than Bosch. Apple gear is famous for not playing well with others. My polar hrm works quite reliably with my nyon as does my Samsung android phone.

Back