Upgrades to my XM700+

Jeff Backes

I decided to upgrade the Deore components to XT. I think the only additional change will be to add a 40 or 42 Sprocket in the rear.

Here is the list of my current upgrades.

FRAME SET
  • Front suspension Rock Shox - Paragon Gold

WHEELS
  • Skewers Delta Cycle KnoxNut Skewer Set

DRIVETRAIN
  • Shimano XT 10-Speed SL-M780 Shift Levers
  • Shimano XT Shifter Mount SL78 I-Spec Integration Unit
  • Shimano XTR CS-M980 10-Speed Dyna-Sys Cassette 11-36
  • Shimano XT 10-Speed RD-M786 GS Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur

COMPONENTS
  • Shimano XT BR-M785 Disc Brakes Front
  • Shimano XT BR-M785 Disc Brakes Rear
  • Shimano XT RT81 160mm Ice-Tech Disc Brake Rotor
  • Shimano XT RT81 180mm Ice-Tech Disc Brake Rotor
  • Bontrager Commuter Gel Saddle
  • Bontrager backrack delux Large
  • Body Float 2.0 seatpost with 2-bolt head
  • Answer Products, The ProTAPER® 720 AM handlebar
  • Ergon GP1 Handlebar Grips
  • Novara Toe Clips with Straps

ACCESSORIES
  • Bosch Nyon 8Gig Controller
  • Planet Bike Blinky Super Flash 1/2-Watt Blaze LED Plus 2 eXtreme LED Rear
  • Planet Bike Tail Light Rack Bracket
  • Kryptonite New York Standard U-Lock
  • Jandd Mini Mountain Pannier, Black
  • CycleAware Reflex Mirror Safety

I just love upgrading! What have you upgraded on your bike?

Very cool!
I am currently commuting on a Haibike Trekking S Rx.

My list of upgrades are:
  1. Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tires for comfort, low rolling resistance and puncture resistance. Hate changing flats in the middle of winter.
  2. Bodyfloat ( of course)
  3. Crankbrothers 5050 pedals.
  4. Ergon GP1 grips
  5. Awaiting on the 500Whr powerpack (should be here in a week)
  6. Supernova M99 Pure lights (just love it!)
If you're commuting on an E-bike, powerful headlights are a must for safety reasons. M99 pure is compatible with all Bosch bikes and I highly recommend them. They are pricey but well worth it.

I decided to upgrade the Deore components to XT. I think the only additional change will be to add a 40 or 42 Sprocket in the rear.

FRAME SET

WHEELS

DRIVETRAIN

COMPONENTS

ACCESSORIES

Jeff, can you please post some photos showing your upgrades

Jeff, that's a sweet drive train/component group. very nice! I did the same thing with a non-e diamondback pro series hybrid only with sram XO series stuff, what a difference!

Here are some pictures of my upgrades.

PC304691.JPG

An up-close image of the front caliper and rotor upgrade.

PC304693.JPG

This shot lets you see the Rock Shox upgrade. It really does make the ride much more enjoyable.

PC304695.JPG

Here is a detailed picture of the cockpit. Left to right. Ergon grip, XT brake lever, Nyon controller, Nyon computer, bell, Rock Shox lockout trigger, brake and shifter. Getting kind of crowded.

PC304696.jpg

Front view of the right hand grip. This shows the XT brake lever and the master cylinder.

PC304697.jpg

And the left side.

PC304698.jpg

Here is a closeup of the Rock Shox. It is a Paragon RL. Note how well the stock fenders and front light bracket fit.

PC304699.jpg

This is the XT front brake caliper and rotor. I can't find a way to get the Delta Security skewers to fit with the Rock Shox.

PC304704.jpg

Here is a picture of the XTR rear cassette with the OneUp 42 teeth sprocket installed. After adjusting the B tension, works very well.

PC304709.jpg

Here you can see the XT derailleur, cassette and One UP.

Hope you enjoyed the "show"

Attachments

• PC304688.JPG
    PC304688.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 730
  • PC304717.jpg
    PC304717.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 734
Here is a picture with the rear panniers installed.

PC304711.jpg

Sorry about the dirt on the bike, I should have washed it before the photo shoot, rookie mistake.

jeff

FRAME SET

WHEELS

DRIVETRAIN

COMPONENTS

ACCESSORIES

Here is a picture of my XM 700 which I am really enjoying. I am riding with my road bike friends doing a couple hundred miles a week. I have dropped my chain off the front chainring a few times and it is challenging to get it back on because of the guard. I am considering losing the guard as I don't ride with long pants. What do you think?

Attachments

• Trek XM 700+ (1 of 1).jpg
    Trek XM 700+ (1 of 1).jpg
    945.5 KB · Views: 842
I don't think loosing the guard should be a problem, but you might want to check and make sure that your clutch is engaged. Mine came from the LBS turned off.

The derailleur has a lever that engages the clutch mech. As I recall, if the lever is in the up position it is engaged.

images.jpeg

Thx Jeff. My derailleur clutch (stock XM 700+) was off too.

I did have the chain derail once, after 550 miles. I hope clutch on will stop that from happening again.

I wonder why default setting was off.

You need to have the clutch off to take the wheel on/off.

Also you will have to push your gear selector a tad harder.

Jeff

Wanna sell your OEM hydraulic caliper/ lever / hose? I assume you took it off as one piece so it will remain sealed/pre-bled? Looking for the front, but can talk about the whole set.....

Jeff, very nice mods. Thanks for sharing.

I am awaiting delivery of my XM700+ next week (also ordered a Neko+ for my wife), and I need to ask if you can help point me in the right direction to do the Rock Shox upgrade first, and then maybe later where to get the Nyon controller/computer and how to program it?

I just don't know what part numbers to get the right parts to fit my bike. Also, can I keep the factory brakes with the Rock Shox? Thanks in advance.

This is the only mod I had the bike shop do for me. I don't know what parts they used. If you contact Mike at Chain Reaction in Redwood City, CA he should be able to help you out. Also you will need to fabricate small L-brackets for the fender wires to connect to the shock. As I recall they also had to get a spacer for the front brake caliper.

The shock does not come from the factory with remote lockout, I added that by ordering a kit online. It's called the motion control remote.

As far as the navi... It's a real pain in the tookis to get it enabled in the US. You have to create an account on the bike-connect web site. You have to create a UK persona. You have to link that persona with your mobile device and get the connect app for your phone. When its all working it's fine but there are lots of hurdles in the way.

Good luck, wish I had more information for you

jeff

This is the only mod I had the bike shop do for me. I don't know what parts they used. If you contact Mike at Chain Reaction in Redwood City, CA he should be able to help you out. Also you will need to fabricate small L-brackets for the fender wires to connect to the shock. As I recall they also had to get a spacer for the front brake caliper.

The shock does not come from the factory with remote lockout, I added that by ordering a kit online. It's called the motion control remote.

As far as the navi... It's a real pain in the tookis to get it enabled in the US. You have to create an account on the bike-connect web site. You have to create a UK persona. You have to link that persona with your mobile device and get the connect app for your phone. When its all working it's fine but there are lots of hurdles in the way.

Good luck, wish I had more information for you

jeff

Thanks for the info and the suspension label. I believe that my local shop is good enough to be able to adapt the brakes and fender should I do this mod, if the is all that's involved.

My son really wants the motion control remote, after seeing something similar on a Cannondale bike at REI last weekend that he was drooling over, while I shuddered to think about how much more I was spending on my Trek eBike just because my heath requires me to have some assistance to ride other than using a tank of oxygen every 15 miles (hilly area at 6600 feet, riding with one functioning lung).

The NAVI does sound complicated. I have an iPhone 7+ as my primary phone and I need to keep using it as "myself". But I have an iPhone 6 that I sometimes still use as a backup, which can used for that UK "persona" - but by that, do you mean that I need to have a real mailing and billing address in the UK? Does it also mean setting up a UK Apple iCloud account?

If I have to go that far it may not be worth it. Right now I can can just strap my water resistant iPhone 7+ to the bars and use that and my Apple watch to track my activity and progress.

Back