Upgraded my brake calipers w/ TRP cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes

zedx

20170630_112631.jpg

Did you just do the front or the rear also? How do your rate them compared to the old brakes? Thinking about doing the same thing to my Radrover.

Did you just do the front or the rear also? How do your rate them compared to the old brakes? Thinking about doing the same thing to my Radrover.
I did both front and rear, these brakes are much better. There much more progressive, they are easy to install they bolted on with no problems, there Worth the $$

Not ready to pull the trigger just yet. I upgraded my tires to Vee8 120 tpi and that improved my cruising speed on my work commute by around +2 mph (21-23 mph avg on level ground at PAS 4 with 25-26 mph top speed on declines). A little extra stopping power wouldn't hurt at my higher speeds. Do you have the weblink and any other extra parts you needed to ordered to do the conversion?

Interesting. I like my brakes to be pretty IMMEDIATE and have read that these are squishy with our type brake levers. So by progressive, is there a bit of lever action before they start really clamping?
On another ebike that I built, I replaced the tektro base caliper with a TRP (same company really) Spyke caliper, and am pretty dang happy. Only 50 bucks on fleabay.

could you guys posts the part links for these trp and trp spyke hydraulic brakes, i definitely want to do these on my radmini, but wanted to make sure i get the right size to take to the shop
thanks for any help

Nope. Those are NOT hydraulic. They are friggin awesome though. Immediate and sure braking, without the complexity of hydraulic. They are different than OEM in that BOTH sides have mechanical actuators that clamp the disc, keeping the disc centered, not pinching it between one movable pad and one stationary one. Try one, and you will be impressed, I sure was. Like having power brakes. I converted my front brake to hydraulic and the bake brake to spyke, and wish both were spkykes.

Very interesting

Why do you like the regular one better?
I definitely need the 2 sided braking because the mini has always had issues with the pads dragging, it never seems to be quite right

And does anyone else that has done this mod have any feedback on which system they used

I like it because the brakes stay in adjustment longer, no drag, instant engagement. When adjustment is needed you only have back out the stop nut adjustment on the brake levers. They just plain work great, much better than the OEM. Plus, they are lighter than a hydraulic set. Spend the $50 and try one. Report back.

Hey Zedx...

Any updates, rants, and raves about your TRP brake update after riding with them for a few months? I'm still interested in doing this upgrade and wanted to know how they are holding up.

Hey Zedx...

Any updates, rants, and raves about your TRP brake update after riding with them for a few months? I'm still interested in doing this upgrade and wanted to know how they are holding up.
I know not the questin you asked, BUT: You can get the Spyke fairly inexpensively, and the thing just rocks. I also have conventional hydraulic to compare with, and these are very comparable, and will never leak.

I'm getting close to needing new pads on my two Radrovers with +4100 miles between them. I haven't decided if I wanted to just go with OEM pads, upgrade the pads, or upgrade the brakes/calipers with higher quality pull type or hybrid hydraulic like TRP? The current brakes work A-OK for my Rad; but, I want shorter emergency braking because of work commuting. I come in at 270lbs with 20lbs of gear/backpack and Rad weighs in around 70-75lbs with rack/bag/tools/flat kits/pump/suspension seatpost/lights.

I have a hard time adjusting for the regular/emergency braking power with the right feel/range on the hand brakes and not have the brakes drag against the rotors. I figured upgrading my calipers or going with TRP might save me from always having to adjust the current set-up.

TRP also makes the SPYKE calipers. I too weigh 270, and come down some steep hills. Brakes are the number one system on my bike.

Do the HY/RD's only work on rotors up to 160mm or will they work on 180mm? I have 180mm on the front and 160mm on the back of my Izip E3 Dash.

We only have one frame of reference on TRP Zurich hydraulic brakes from Ohm eBikes. On a scale of 1 (low) to 10 (high) in comparison to the other hydraulic disk brakes we see we would only give them a rating of 12 or 13.

Do the HY/RD's only work on rotors up to 160mm or will they work on 180mm? I have 180mm on the front and 160mm on the back of my Izip E3 Dash.

The rotor size is independent of the brake itself. You just need to mount the caliper to the appropriate bracket, which is already on your bike (usually a black aluminum bracket between the caliper and fork, and in the rear between the caliper and the left chain stay.

The rotor size is independent of the brake itself. You just need to mount the caliper to the appropriate bracket, which is already on your bike (usually a black aluminum bracket between the caliper and fork, and in the rear between the caliper and the left chain stay.
THANKS for your response. As you know TRP indicates their hydraulic brake caliper is used with their 160mm rotor. Further the Radwagon comes with 180mm rotors. So, I was concerned about compatibility. Based on your comments, it appears there is no issue as long as they are mounted properly. Thanks.

Back