Upgraded Fatty G062 Kit

Daffyh

My G060 powered fatty stopped working so bought a G062 kit 1000W.
Refitted to the same fatty its not pretty but it works.
The G062 is leaps and bounds ahead of the G060 I had though i am using torque arms this time as IT NEEDS IT.
Still using my previous 48v/11.6 Ah battery packs i have 2, stuff all range but good enough for what i do.

Attachments

• 1A5BCA0D-FCEF-4849-BB74-35B1AA604A5A.jpeg
    1A5BCA0D-FCEF-4849-BB74-35B1AA604A5A.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 62CC65C2-B297-4ED6-ADDB-7D131F7054C4.jpeg
    62CC65C2-B297-4ED6-ADDB-7D131F7054C4.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 439F0E2F-B688-47E3-9456-B7408775B7B8.jpeg
    439F0E2F-B688-47E3-9456-B7408775B7B8.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 45C884C2-2134-466A-A2AC-5FFB9139CBC1.jpeg
    45C884C2-2134-466A-A2AC-5FFB9139CBC1.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 111
Since you have two torque arms on there, thats pretty good, but a couple of things about those: Those are 'Grin v1' copies and not very good. Better than nothing certainly but if you look at the direction of force if the motor tries to spin out, your non-drive-side torque arm is set up to directly slide along your frame sideways, not hold it fast. Its a help but nothing like it could be.

For a rear torque arm on the non drive side, consider a variation on this. The photo date says this was all the way back in April of 2017. I used essentially the same small locking arm you did, but then I connected it to the disk brake bolt. By chance it was a perfect fit at the end of the reach of that little arm, which came from a Grin v2 torque arm kit. That big steel spacer at the brake mount came from my local Ace Hardware. This setup uses a lot fewer threads on the axle, too.

20170412_184604.jpg

The drive side axle bolt has nowhere near full thread engagement, which is not so great. I would consider as a (very) partial first step switching to a nut that has no shoulder - the torque arm is a washer already. You can see I did that on my torque arm above. The drive side hose clamp is still subject to slippage for the same reason as the other one. You have a dropout available, so flipping that lower arm around puts it at an angle where you can probably use another little upper arm to clamp into, and doing that will gain you back all the threads you lost from stacking the two arms together over the axle. Ebay has torque arms that have differing lengths for their upper arms. And if the length is too long, you can add a second bolt into the channel that eliminates travel, or at the least restricts the hell out of it. The Grin v5 upper arm has a series of holes that let you do multiple positions.

Since you have two torque arms on there, thats pretty good, but a couple of things about those: Those are 'Grin v1' copies and not very good. Better than nothing certainly but if you look at the direction of force if the motor tries to spin out, your non-drive-side torque arm is set up to directly slide along your frame sideways, not hold it fast. Its a help but nothing like it could be.

For a rear torque arm on the non drive side, consider a variation on this. The photo date says this was all the way back in April of 2017. I used essentially the same small locking arm you did, but then I connected it to the disk brake bolt. By chance it was a perfect fit at the end of the reach of that little arm, which came from a Grin v2 torque arm kit. That big steel spacer at the brake mount came from my local Ace Hardware. This setup uses a lot fewer threads on the axle, too.

View attachment 153469

The drive side axle bolt has nowhere near full thread engagement, which is not so great. I would consider as a (very) partial first step switching to a nut that has no shoulder - the torque arm is a washer already. You can see I did that on my torque arm above. The drive side hose clamp is still subject to slippage for the same reason as the other one. You have a dropout available, so flipping that lower arm around puts it at an angle where you can probably use another little upper arm to clamp into, and doing that will gain you back all the threads you lost from stacking the two arms together over the axle. Ebay has torque arms that have differing lengths for their upper arms. And if the length is too long, you can add a second bolt into the channel that eliminates travel, or at the least restricts the hell out of it. The Grin v5 upper arm has a series of holes that let you do multiple positions.
Nice

Tha
Thanks for the tips. I’ve redone both sides to regain axle nut thread engagement. Both arms are now parallel to the frame.I had installed an extra washer originally which is now gone. I looked at the grin ones and may still buy a set I just wanted the bike working as it’s my only form of transport due to disability.

Thanks for the tips. I’ve redone both sides to regain axle nut thread engagement. Both arms are now parallel to the frame.I had installed an extra washer originally which is now gone. I looked at the grin ones and may still buy a set I just wanted the bike working as it’s my only form of transport due to disability.
Yeah I understand. You have to do something and you work with what you have. Something else about those Chinesium torque arms: The short one that goes around the axle: they tend to have just a bit of play in them and are not a precise fit around the axle. That lets them rock a bit which is pretty dangerous for the dropouts. They've proven especially bad on motors that have regen as those motors rock the axle back and forth, and you can imagine what that means long-term. The one you see in that pic above actually had the axle dig into it a bit on its edges by the time I removed it and replaced it with a Grin arm, which being steel and a tight fit (and thicker) was a permanent solution that has never shown any evidence of damage.

This seller in the UK has been selling these for years. I bought some from his predecessor... might be the same guy operating under a different company name. Shipping to the USA is prohibitive but for you in Australia it may be no different from Grin in Canada.

Indeed you are correct when i removed them the axle had moved ever so slightly so these will get replaced. I have ordered a set from the link you provided much appreciated.🚲

Last edited:
Back