Upgrade charger (2018)

The reviewer on the EBR YouTube channel is always saying that the Rad Power Bikes chargers are cheap/passable.

I just pre-ordered a 2018 bike. What chargers are out there that would be considered a compatible "upgrade" over the charger that comes with the bike? What features would a "better" charger have?

Last edited:
Some folks go with a charger that can recharge the battery pack up to the 80% mark for better battery longevity like from Luna Cycles. The Rad charger I have for my 2016 bike is a 48v/2 amp charger with two LED lights. One solid red light for being plugged in to 120v outlet and the second light for red for charging and it will turn green when complete. It takes a while to recharge my Rad at 2 amps from around 45 mins to 1 hour for every 20% of power added back into the pack. Next to impossible to charge to 80% consistently unless you have the Rad charger on a timer and you figured out the start and end charge levels.

Keeping the battery pack between 20%-80% is suppose to increase the longevity into the +1000 cycles compared to the 400-600 advertise cycles. I've had my two Rad Rovers since Sept/16 with around 3800 miles between them. I usually charge to 100% before I ride 3-5 times per week. I haven't notice any decrease in performance or range yet.

I did purchased a second Rad charger to leave at work and top off at home or away. I sometimes have +20 mph headwinds while riding from 4900ft to 5400ft and used over 80% power just trying to get home. The Radrover is one heavy beast to pedal without power uphill.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! The Luna charger might be worth it if it charges significantly faster. I'll do some research on the 80% issue.

Will the Rad unit charge to 100% then shut off?

The battery pack is smart enough to charge until 100% and then stop charging (green LED light to let you know it is 100%). I sometimes forget to check the charger before I go to bed and leave it charging all night before heading to work at 5:30am. I have his/her Rad rovers; but, my wife only rode about 300 out of the +3800 miles on the ebikes. I end up using both Radrovers to work commute and switch off to keep the wear/tear and mileage about the same. Never depleting the battery 100%, keeping the battery pack around 50%-80% charge for long term storage, and keeping close to room temperature supposed to also help with longevity.

Lunacycle chargers were the most returned and warranty problem batteries when I worked support for them. Nearly every day there was a problem or a return. Their chargers are specific to a single voltage. Locked into single or two charge rates and had problems with fans and displays. One charger stands out, the Cycle Satiator. nearly and charge levels, wide range of rates, longer warranty, and stores and reports of battery data. I do 4 different voltages with one charger. Most of us end up with several batteries and the Satiator will payoff itself in maintaining a single battery. Leave the hype at the door and buy the best.

I have a 2nd battery pack instead of going with a better charger. I figure if I rotate the battery packs will 2X longevity and the 2nd battery pack will 2X my range when needed for longer rides. I'm expecting to get +5 years minimal from both battery packs if I maintain my current rotation and 2-3 full cycle charges per week.

That Cycle Satiator looks nice but wow it's expensive!
Yes but consider what it does! Batteries are really expensive. If we have a management tool that doubles the life of a $500 battery, that investment is paid back handily! I have several diferent batteries. Let's say you only had two, a 80% charger form others is around a $100 and now you've got two chargers with short warranty periods and $200 invested. With the Grin charger you can choose your percentage, charge at any of the rates that the BMS is capable of, have a historical chart of the battery, AND charge to 50% for storage. We get what we pay for. Every other brand of charger I've owned has had a failure. But not my Satiators. They can also be mounted oon a bike and are waterproof.

I have a 2nd battery pack instead of going with a better charger. I figure if I rotate the battery packs will 2X longevity and the 2nd battery pack will 2X my range when needed for longer rides. I'm expecting to get +5 years minimal from both battery packs if I maintain my current rotation and 2-3 full cycle charges per week.
Longevity is tied to charge level. If you were able to do 80% and rotate you'd do even better. But I think you might be a little over confident. I'm guessing in the 5th year you'll see some fairly consistent sag.

A battery charged to 100% will slowly discharge without use over time, right? How fast do these deplete on their own?
Very low discharge. in milliamps. You'd likely never really notice.
Thanks for the info! The Luna charger might be worth it if it charges significantly faster. I'll do some research on the 80% issue.

Will the Rad unit charge to 100% then shut off?
Yes, but FASTER is not better. slowest and 80% will conserve battery cell life.

Can someone verify that Cycle Satiator charger works for rad power bikes battery packs also?
Thanks.

Can someone verify that Cycle Satiator charger works for rad power bikes battery packs also?
Thanks.
It is simply a matter of matching connectors. If a Rad rider doesn't chime in you can post a picture and I can confirm.

If you have an overnight window or a workday in which to charge, then faster is irrevalent. A cheap timer, discussed elsewhere, can give you any rate of charge you want. I have one, and can dial in any amount of charge I want.

If you have an overnight window or a workday in which to charge, then faster is irrevalent. A cheap timer, discussed elsewhere, can give you any rate of charge you want. I have one, and can dial in any amount of charge I want.
Not every rate of charge, but with a timer any percentage of charge capacity. A 2 amp charger, as many supply, is limited to 2amps. Half of my troubleshooting calls is about batteries. The best charger can track charges, charge levels, and provide battery data that can help sort a problem. A $300 charger that doubles the life of a single 52v 17Ah pack pays for itself quickly enough to satisfy the pissiest of CFO’s. and anyone that has more than one battery size is a great review and payback time. I never quite grasp a $2000-$5000 bike with a $10 fabless charger, with no data. BTW those cheap, $100 chargers with minimal added function have miserable warranties. I

Last edited by a moderator:
My ten dollar timer allows me to slow charge (best for the battery) based on % of charge remaining. If I have only one bar out of five, I throw in a three hour charge to bring the battery under 80%, then top off just before riding. Less complication, giving me more time to, say, contemplate gear ratios.

The life of a battery is doubled by the simple expedient of keeping its charge between 20-80%, and storing at 50%, something the bike battery meter is able to report. There is much more detail on battery life in other posts.

A $300 charger that doubles the life of a $550 battery is too expensive...I bought the extra battery instead. Oh, and the $10 timer.

Last edited:
My ten dollar timer allows me to slow charge (best for the battery) based on % of charge remaining. If I have only one bar out of five, I throw in a three hour charge to bring the battery under 80%, then top off just before riding. Less complication, giving me more time to, say, contemplate gear ratios.

The life of a battery is doubled by the simple expedient of keeping its charge between 20-80%, and storing at 50%, something the bike battery meter is able to report. There is much more detail on battery life in other posts.

A $300 charger that doubles the life of a $550 battery is too expensive...I bought the extra battery instead. Oh, and the $10 timer.
Sure but it’s not all about the cost. There are more important functions for anyone with multiple batteries. The ability to track battery usage and function, multiple voltages, multiple charge levels...important for us seasonal fellas. It’s not always just a matter of an easy $$ comparison. Waterproof for traveling. Multiple charge rates, and more. My Satiator has outlasted 3 $60 chargers and does my 48 and 52. You method is great. I’ve taught customers to do the same. But some of us need more information and understand the value. $559 for a battery? Good on you for having a budget battery. None of mine are under $659 to replace... Don’t take me wrong, you have a valid point, just missing a few details for some of us!

Well, for one thing, Rad says to only use the supplied charger. Whether or not vastly superior chargers are available, I would tend to adhere to their recommendations, as there is the warranty thing.

Besides, my charger works...and my bike display tells me the amount of charge. My spare battery cost $550, no tax or shipping. The timer, $9.99. I'm glad your charger works well, too. Some people like the best, some are happy with $3-4k bikes, too. My system has a bike and two batteries for $2k., and should last for five years or more, as @mrgold35 has determined.

Rad is being ridiculous. I had hoped they didn’t play the proprietary battery game. Warrantees on shipped bikes often mean user, diy, repair. I don’t much sweat problems. These days there is so much good help from the community. This one is among the kinder, gentler.

For me it’s not the best, rather for a multiple bike owner, small shop, or nutty guy with 7 bikes...well nutty here finds its my best too buy.

In no way do I suggest you should buy anything that doesn’t fit your need. If I were a user like you, I’d be just as happy as you. My first 36v 12.5a battery 5 years ago was $670. Once I bought the second and then a 48v the Satiator became a no brainier.

All the best,

T

My ten dollar timer allows me to slow charge (best for the battery) based on % of charge remaining.
What is this $10 timer that is able to sense a Radpower battery's charge level and then varythe charge rate coming out of the Radpower standard charger based on it? I have a bit of electrical background and that sounds almost impossible -- I have a AA/AAA battery charger that can do that, but it's more than just a timer, it's a charger itself, and was more than $10 -- but I'd love to be wrong!

Last edited:
Back