Ultra install problems

Deacon Blues

I'm having problems powering up my Ultra motor after the install.
I had the motor resting over the frame (bike was upside down) with the wires attached.
I powered up the battery, hit the power button and the display came alive and I was able to spin the motor with the throttle.
After a struggle (very little room between the bike frame and the motor housing) I finally got the motor bolted down, but when I powered the battery back up the display would not come on (but the lights did)
I put a test light on the battery end of the Anderson connector and there was power and none of the wires look to be damaged or crushed.
Any ideas as to why I'm not getting any power to the display and possibly motor?

There's power from the battery. I used a test light and it showed power at the Anderson connector.
I might swap out the display with the one I have on my Hydra to see if that's where my problem is.

One really big PITA with this bike is the lack of space between the motor housing and the titanium frame. Installing the motor on my Hydra was very easy.

If everything was working when you pulled the motor it's more than likely a connection.
Check all for bent pins... This includes the controller inside the motors case if you opened it up.

I can get power to the motor connector, but the display won't turn on. I'm going to take the display off my UC Pro and install it on my Hydra, to see if it will boot up. If it doesn't, I'll know the display has failed.

Looks like I fried my display. My fault...had the battery on when I shouldn't of. 😩
I tried it on my Hydra and got nothing, so it's time for a new display.
The display on the bike is a 750C. Any recommendations on a new display (and where to buy it)?
I liked the 750C display, but so far I haven't found a source for a new one.

That's what we do
Don't worry about ordering from Ali... No guarantee but I've never had an issue and their shipping speed has really picked up speed.
Besides it's all Chinese crap anyway. 🙃
I ordered an 860c display (my favorite, but not minimalist by any means) on Aug 9th
IMG_20230818_003413.jpg

and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.
Screenshot_20230818-002935_Chrome.jpg

Just order from a vendor that has a good score and has been in business for a while. I've dealt with some very nice and helpful ones and without the we got the most awesome best's everything Luna mark up. 🤣

I ordered spare display 10 August due to arrive 7 September. 1st time purchase of an ebike component from Aliexpress. My spare motor was from Biktrix Canada.
I have also seen 52v batteries for Dengfu no luck tho for E26 frame. I did see gang loads of batteries for hydra and luna frames for under $500. I not sure if it will work on my Monte Capro's E26 frame.
I'm gonna measure size of my stock Biktrix battery and order one from Aliexpress, If dpc display on order arrives on the day or earlier than promised by vendor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817_192051_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817_192051_Gmail.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 65
I ordered spare display 10 August due to arrive 7 September. 1st time purchase of an ebike component from Aliexpress. My spare motor was from Biktrix Canada.
I have also seen 52v batteries for Dengfu no luck tho for E26 frame. I did see gang loads of batteries for hydra and luna frames for under $500. I not sure if it will work on my Monte Capro's E26 frame.
I'm gonna measure size of my stock Biktrix battery and order one from Aliexpress, If dpc display on order arrives on the day or earlier than promised by vendor.
I'd be careful ordering batteries from Ali... Just because warranty can be difficult if not impossible.
Have you tried @Jenny Mao ?
She's on the parent Alibaba and has a good reputation here on EBR.
You're an odd situation for shipping. I'm thinking it would hit California and the u_turn back to you.

I finally got the motor bolted to the frame. 🥳
It took me an hour to the install the 3 bolts because there is VERY little room between the motor housing and the motor frame plate.
Whoever designed this frame should get a big kick up the arse. There should have been an increase in depth between the motor housing and the frame. A half an inch would have made a world of difference.
You can see in the photo below how limited the space would be, especially when trying to fit all the wires somewhere.

IMG_3075.jpeg

For some reason there is a lot of wires coming from the motor that don't connect to anything. I have no idea what their purpose is.
I do not want to EVER take this motor out again. If, for some reason, the motor won't run when the new display comes I'll put this POS into deep storage.
The Hydra motor was a piece of cake to install because there was lots of room to move the wires around.

My original agreement with Pushkar was that I would send this bike back to him when he got the new Helios into production. I'd send this bike back to him in a heartbeat, but I suspect the Helios will never see production.

Looks like a lot of excess wires/cables that may not need to run through there. So many exposed wires that also end up inside, seems crazy.

Unused motor wires should be stuffable after the bolts are in, behind the plastic cover plate piece.

Yes, the Anderson connectors were the main problem. For 75% of the space between the motor and the frame plate there's not enough clearance for the connectors. I did have some electrical tape around the connectors to make sure they didn't come apart while I was trying to fit and bolt the motor in place.
Smorgasbord, stuffing the excess wires in behind the plastic cove plate is what I plan on doing.

Rome, I was thinking of soldering the main power wires from the battery to the motor But I decided to use connectors, so, if needed, the motor could be taken out again.
Eventually, the bearings will have to be replaced.

Yes, the Anderson connectors were the main problem. For 75% of the space between the motor and the frame plate there's not enough clearance for the connectors. I did have some electrical tape around the connectors to make sure they didn't come apart while I was trying to fit and bolt the motor in place.
Smorgasbord, stuffing the excess wires in behind the plastic cove plate is what I plan on doing.

Rome, I was thinking of soldering the main power wires from the battery to the motor But I decided to use connectors, so, if needed, the motor could be taken out again.
Eventually, the bearings will have to be replaced.
High quality bullet connectors should be easier

What's up with this wire (red arrows)?:
Wires.jpg

It travels the Downtube both inside and outside, adding to the space problems where the motor goes. Why?

That's a good question, smorgasbord.
I can't help but compare the wiring job between my Hydra and UC Pro. The Hydra's wiring is tidy, while the UC Pro's wiring is a bloody mess, with multiple wires/connectors that don't connect to anything.

I couldn't wait another week for my new display to arrive, so I took the display off my Hydra and connected it to my UC Pro. Nothing. :mad:
I put the display back on my Hydra and it booted up fine.
Anyone have an idea as to why the display wouldn't turn on? I plan on taking the motor out again to see if I somehow managed to disconnect the power wires when I put the motor back in.

Ideally, it would be good to connect and test that everything works before fitting the motor in the frame.

Back