Ultra install problems

Smorgasbord, the wire that goes into the downtube comes back out again is the same wire. It's really long so whoever put the bike together stuffed the excess it in the downtube.

I just pulled the motor back out and it looks like both of the wires from the battery came loose from their Anderson connectors.

There is most likely not enough space, but one way to lock the Anderson connector is to pass a small zip tie between the wires, then across the connector and between the wires on the other side.
If a small zip tie is too big, you can use a small nylon string to do the same and prevent the connectors from separating. Stronger than tape...

There is most likely not enough space, but one way to lock the Anderson connector is to pass a small zip tie between the wires, then across the connector and between the wires on the other side.
If a small zip tie is too big, you can use a small nylon string to do the same and prevent the connectors from separating. Stronger than tape...
I do that with XT60s... 👍

I guess it's the matrix for shift cable, Deacon Blues has kindernay.
Nope. Kindernay is on the Hydra.

WW did something weird with the rear derailleur cable (see the photo below)
The cable runs along the chain stay (#4), then goes into the frame (#1) and runs between the motor and the frame plate.
Then it exits the frame plate (#2) and carries on along the outside of the downtube (#3).
Why it wouldn't run along the topside of the motor plate is beyond me. It would save the cable from making some tight bends to go into the motor area and then back out six inches later.

IMG_3075.jpeg

Wouldn't that require it to have been engineered to begin with 🙃
I think you hit the nail on the head.
There's connectors that don't connect to anything, plugs that don't connect to anything, clearances that are WAY too close for proper wiring, and cables that shouldn't be routed where they are.
Overall, I still have a soft spot for this bike, but this bike is only a notch above a DIY build. :mad:
No wonder WW is no longer building this bike.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
There's connectors that don't connect to anything, plugs that don't connect to anything, clearances that are WAY too close for proper wiring, and cables that shouldn't be routed where they are.
Overall, I still have a soft spot for this bike, but this bike is only a notch above a DIY build. :mad:
No wonder WW is no longer building this bike.
I know it will detract from the clean build look... But maybe you can add (engineer) an acceptable enclosure between the battery and motor mount?
Or maybe search for a small frame bag that will look appropriate... that's what I did with my diy wiring. Though a totally different location.
Sometimes comprises are a necessity

Last edited:
I'm thinking of going with an Archer wireless shifter, like F&F did on his WW bike. I already have the unit, which is not being used right now, so I wouldn't have to purchase one.
With the way the cable is now routed the motor would have to be dropped to replace the cable.

I'm thinking of going with an Archer wireless shifter, like F&F did on his WW bike. I already have the unit, which is not being used right now, so I wouldn't have to purchase one.
With the way the cable is now routed the motor would have to be dropped to replace the cable.
That's a start... Especially when it's in hand, apart already and every cubic mm counts. 👍

You were right. Those tires have the proper look. 2.6".
26 size moves the tire back in the stays. Perfect!
As I remember the UC Pro came up to 27 x 2.9"?
Look's like you could fit 3.0" x 26 in there - if it ever strikes your fancy. Any loss in rolling distance can be accommodated with a 52 ring. Price $90, down from $110 when I last priced the 50t Wolftooth.
The Archer is a great idea. Shifts are predictably and can be easily superbly tuned. My problems was throttle housing interference. You're good to go.

Well, so much for waterproofing. The frame's makers drilled/ cut holes in the plate where the tubes are welded - for gas shielding on the back side of the bead. In fact I'd've thought a lot less of the weld's integrity if they hadn't.
But any water into the seat, top and/ or down tubes funnels directly into the motor.
BTW. The hole (large enough to stick my finger into) in my first DP-6 battery case's end (shipping damaged), I can see dead-ended wires with silicone smeared on the ends, and bright wire showing through.
Do you have these internal wiring ports on right side of the downtube?
20230828_065704[1].jpg

Those wires (your photo) w/ outer sheath stripped, maybe front lighting taking up one of the down-tube's two cable ports.
That's my plan, An internal 1T4 cable.
5 (display)
4 (brakes) and may be doubled up into 2 wires.
3 (throttle)
12 wires to solder and insulate on this $14 UART cable's plug.
Some may say 'remove and reinstall the pins', but while that's never worked for me, soldering has every time.
This - my third ebike wire loom - will be easy compared to the other hub motors where I switched all connections from rst to Bafang.
The fly in the ointment is this requires a precision stripper. I use a Swedish, GreenLee 45000, get it perfect w/ some scrap wire, where I'm not pulling any strands loose. Then, wet out the ends and solder side by side, not pigtailed.
I also remember a thread that went into drilling the Kinekt's post for saddle mounted tail-lighting wires.
Where's the excess weight?
Quality lighting w/ F & R Lights, wiring and controls, Probably adds 2lbs.
Steel saddle rails are heavy - lose 40% w titanium rails - >150grams, about 5 1/2 ounces.
That horn weights a lot. Loved it, but it's why I dumped it. 1lb? 2lb's?
Easy for me, since all I wanted was the alarm and the F 110 has a plastic housing/ clamp (yes!!!). It weighs 1/4 as much, w/ a BT remote control key fob.
A small company, they keep making unique advances in their products which in and of themselves are rather unique. So far the F-110 is a Five Star product.
20230609_100741[1].jpg

Things like those Steel Hose-Clamps (stock on our fork to front fender stays). Heavy - and no matter what you do gonna scratch your fork they make any contact. >100gms excess.
SKS plastic clamps 20gms .. but their stay-clips are crummy. Portland Design Works has proper clips.
Steel fender stays weigh a lot. I'm glad I lopped 6" of the rear fender and eliminated one stay. No drawbacks at all.
Every Steel nut, bolt, clamp and washer weighs roughly 40% more than equivalent strength titanium fasteners.
From Ring Gear bolts to Brake Discs and the Stem Cap bolt, battery slide and accessory mounts - when 30gms bolts become 18gms it adds up.
@ 64lbs a cubic foot, a 24oz bottle (full) is 2 pounds, a gram per milliliter.
Your bike could easily weigh < 63lbs. Easily.
My weight-weenieism has nada to do w/ tradition or being cool. It's just somewhere after age 70 things started feeling heavier, so naturally I sought out any cult that supported it wasn't me, went along and and they brainwashed me. A wise-guy existentialist philosopher I read some time back called it 'the spirit of gravity'. (Good analogy Fredrich). Typically, I reverted to lifting weights and using lighter stuff.
I like the stock DPC 18 (as sold at this link) display and esp that new one w/ USB would be nice for my phone as GPS vs carrying batteries/ charger ... but I'm a bit confused. Which model? 0-5 or 0-9. What did you buy?
WW's in general have had problems with this display - actually the mount.
Early adopters like BarnBoy - kinda - documented this. After blowing one out, I obtained a universal shim kit and skipped the angst. Amazon I recollect. No more problems. You may need one.
My take is any part or the entire PRC market could fail. Having a spare is an excellent idea.
Certainly (full of bugs and) highly customizable, this will be my 'Winter (LOL, in San Diego, 'Winter?' LOL) Project'. Well, it does get in the 50's?
Change chain, ring, cassette and (dammit) gear lube.
Glad for that Park Stand to flip the bike. Up side down's the way to go.
I still think we got off light. The PRC ti frames now don't even have the bottom gusset.
Pushkar may fail in his creative visualizations, but he won't pass on inferior junk.
Your UC will be improved and awesome.
Can't wait for your riding impressions - esp the lube vis a vis sound effects after 3 - 400 miles.
Facing this maintenance scenario, I appreciate the knowledge even more.
Thanks

Fn'F

My frame doesn't have the internal wiring ports. No wires running through the frame, except for the derailleur cable that I pulled out this morning.

Here's a photo of the Archer wireless unit installed on my bike.
Just for the heck of it I weighed the bike, without the battery and motor. 35.0 pounds.

IMG_3085.jpeg

Is that a steel chainring? My M620 with 3000W Innotrace controller damages aluminum chainrings withing a single ride (deforms the teeth making them wider which damages the chain spreading the chain links). So I stick with steel chainrings but can not find anithing other than those Bafang motors steel chainrings which limits my choice in terms of teeth amount and shape.

Just a suggestion if your handy with getting into the guts of your bike as it looks like you are.
Open up the motor and replace the shorter motor lead wiring directly from the controller terminals.
Shitcan those Anderson connectors and replace with a XT90 connector a bit longer and make that connection up inside the downtube.
The reason I say XT90’s is they take a #10 wire a lot easier than a XT60 which it looks like you have.
Those plugs look suspect.
All the rest should make up out the plastic cover side.

Hell I have a dropper and brake cable running through mine and it all fits sorta ok.
Different bike I know but you get the idea.
Just because the dealer did the install doesn’t mean it’s correct.

TPEHAK, the chain ring is steel. This much power would chew the crap out of an aluminum chain ring in no time.
Greeno, I just connected the battery to the motor with Anderson connectors and I have to say that I find them VERY hard to install. But, after many tries and a lot of swearing the connections are done and the motor spins with power. If I have to do this job again I will definitely go with something like the XT90 connectors, and having extra long wires so the connectors can be stuffed in dow down tube is a really good idea.
Tomorrow I'll stuff all the wires into place and bolt the motor back into the frame. As I mentioned before, I'm amazed that someone would design this frame/motor with so little clearance between the motor and frame plate for the wiring. The Hydra's frame to motor wiring clearances is like the Grand Canyon compared to this mess.

TPEHAK, the chain ring is steel. This much power would chew the crap out of an aluminum chain ring in no time.
Greeno, I just connected the battery to the motor with Anderson connectors and I have to say that I find them VERY hard to install. But, after many tries and a lot of swearing the connections are done and the motor spins with power. If I have to do this job again I will definitely go with something like the XT90 connectors, and having extra long wires so the connectors can be stuffed in dow down tube is a really good idea.
Tomorrow I'll stuff all the wires into place and bolt the motor back into the frame. As I mentioned before, I'm amazed that someone would design this frame/motor with so little clearance between the motor and frame plate for the wiring. The Hydra's frame to motor wiring clearances is like the Grand Canyon compared to this mess.
Can you please share the link to who makes those steel chainrings?

1693624202810.png

For the Ultra motor, if you're using the stock spider you need a 5 bolt 130 BCD chainring AND then you need a tooth design that's compatible with the chain you're using. For instance, see this Wolf Tooth page, which says in part:
  • Drop-Stop chainrings are designed for use with 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 drivetrains
  • Drop-Stop FT is compatible with all 10-, 11-, and 12-speed chains (including SRAM Flattop 12-speed chains), with the exception of Shimano 12-speed chains
  • Shimano 12-speed chains require the use of Wolf Tooth's Shimano 12-speed specific chainrings
  • If using a 9-speed drivetrain, use a 10-speed chain, which will provide a tighter fit for better chain retention
  • Not compatible with Shimano Asymmetric 110 BCD Cranks or Campagnolo CX10/11 cranks
Of course, that's aluminum, so may not be what you want. FWIW, I have been using it on my 2000 watt "ludicrous" Ultra powered eBike for a couple years now with no excessive wear noticed.

I have been using wolf tooth 5 bolt 130bcd 38t drop stop narrow/wide chainrings for almost 3 yrs now along with a kmc e11 chain and have never had any issues.
Just be aware of what gear your in and your golden.
Aluminum is fine.
I also run a steel 11spd free hub on my rear hub as those aluminum ones dont hold up to well in my experience.
Just my .02.

Back