Ultra Chainring Swap?

Thanks theemartymac, good stuff. This is exactly what I needed to make a decision about which chainring size and where to mount it for desired alignment and cruising gears. I don't see myself using the larger cogs often since most rides here are fairly flat. I will start with the outside mount and see how that works. I found a Wolf Tooth, 52t, 130BCD, no offset on Amazon that I will probably go with. Not cheap ($89). Many of the roads around here are in poor condition (tax dollars not at work for us) and can be very bumpy so the narrow-wide offers a little more peace of mind, from my perspective anyway. I will post results after installation and on the road experience in a week or two.

I installed the Wolf Tooth 52t 130BCD chainring on the outside of the spider and moved the chainring guart to the inside so I could reuse the existing bolts and also to align the chain better with 6-7 cogs where I will spend most of the time cruising. I already like the lower cadence. By comparing gear ratios I found online https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence, gear 9 (11t) on 44t chainring is now gear 8 (13t) on the 52t. Gear 6 (17t) is now gear 5 (20t). Gear 1, 52t is marginally higher than the old gear 2 on 44t. I see about a full one gear change across the board. The old chain was too short so I used the largest cog to chainring method to size the chain. It's time to log some miles and try a few short moderate hills to see how it climbs.

Attachments

• Gear Ratios 44t.png
    Gear Ratios 44t.png
    586.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Gear Ratios 52t.png
    Gear Ratios 52t.png
    623.3 KB · Views: 162
I installed the Wolf Tooth 52t 130BCD chainring on the outside of the spider and moved the chainring guart to the inside so I could reuse the existing bolts and also to align the chain better with 6-7 cogs where I will spend most of the time cruising. I already like the lower cadence. By comparing gear ratios I found online https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence, gear 9 (11t) on 44t chainring is now gear 8 (13t) on the 52t. Gear 6 (17t) is now gear 5 (20t). Gear 1, 52t is marginally higher than the old gear 2 on 44t. I see about a full one gear change across the board. The old chain was too short so I used the largest cog to chainring method to size the chain. It's time to log some miles and try a few short moderate hills to see how it climbs.
Question: I've got the same bike you do, and bought a Wolf Tooth 52T 130 BCD. Didn't install it yet. Before I try to take my bike apart to do this, would I need the bolts Wolf Tooth sells to fit this on my Rize RX, if I don't want to move the chainring guard to the inside like you did? I ordered a new 52T chainring guard that I'd like to use on the outside.

Also, do you think it would be possible to install a second chainring guard on on the inside too? I'd ideally like to do that to prevent chain slippage. Or would two chainring guards not fit?

Back