UL-2271 certification for Zen 52V, 20Ah batteries

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Zen team is excited to share the UL-2271 certification for our batteries.
We take safety and E-bike battery quality very seriously and we invested significant capital to ensure our customers can charge their batteries without worrying about safety.
Recently, E-bike battery fires have caused many fatalities, tarnishing the industry's reputation. If left unresolved, this issue would have severe repercussions.
UL-2271 is a step in the right direction. Is this the ultimate safety standard? Definitely not, but it is a proper measure to minimize future fatalities.

Our 52V, 20Ah batteries are certified by Underwriter Laboratories Labs (UL) for the UL-2271 standard.
The cells used are Samsung 50GB - 2170 cells. An advanced BMS and smart charger were developed with few respected partner companies.

There are several nuances to this.
It would have been easier to do this at SGS, TuV, or ACT Labs, but we decided to spend significant capital to get this done at UL labs. It took several revisions and improvements.
We passed the battery tests earlier in the year. Still, we had a smart charger that communicates with the battery, and we had to send 20 charger samples and undergo testing before they issued this certificate. The charger has UL certification too. Hence, the date on the certificate is June 2024.

Our 52V, 15Ah battery used on the Photon Pure is built precisely to the same standards as the 20Ah version with the same BMS and cells, but we did not want to spend an additional $30,000 to get that 15Ah pack certified because everything is the same except it has 14 cells less (14S-3P vs 14S-4P). It does have the UN38.3 test certificate.

Trust develops when a company delivers what it claims to deliver. There may be a few hiccups or delays, but ultimately, one must deliver a great product.
We are very grateful to all our customers who supported us in building excellent products with the highest-quality batteries. Without your support, we would not be here today. We are proud to share our UL certificate with you and hope we have earned your trust.
Rest assured, we will be with you to ensure your E-bike ownership experience is a positive one.

Zen Electric Bikes - UL-2271 certificate.jpg

Several years ago when I looked into battery certification I was amazed at the cost potential, per battery spec. I'm glad that Zen is in a position to absorb the costs and hope they get a substantial return on their investment!

On another subject I just watched a Grin video of Justin explaining the concept of FreeGen and it looks like a major leap forward for geared hub motors. I wonder if Zen will be able to work it into their line in the coming years?

Back