UC Pro Diamond frame prototype build pics. Painting / Decal / lights etc will be done in Boston.

No, we are welding everything in asia right now. Boston has better Ti welding skill than Aluminum welding IMO. :)

If robots are doing it it won't matter anyways, it is important the welds look good even if they are large.
A lousy welding job makes the bike look cheap even if it's expensive.
Check out this hand TIG welding of an Ebike frame
A good Tig Pulsed welder can cost 5K plus you need the skill to do it.

Last edited:
I am kind of concerned though regarding the keys. Do the two batteries have different locks/keys? Also, what about the frame lock: is that a third lock/key?

I am kind of concerned though regarding the keys. Do the two batteries have different locks/keys? Also, what about the frame lock: is that a third lock/key?
Yes batteries will have separate keys as of right now. The cylinder width is different so it will be hard to do the same key as of right now.

Yes batteries will have separate keys as of right now. The cylinder width is different so it will be hard to do the same key as of right now.
I have to be honest here: that is quite disappointing news.

So, if we get both the frame lock and the folding lock, are we talking about having 3 or 4 different sets of keys for the whole bike?

But if you get two integrated batteries instead of downtube battery, that's one less key to worry about. 🥛
Huh? I’m not going to have to find a way to carry another integrated battery just so I have one less key to deal with.

Ok then...better to carry another key than another battery. It is what it is. Nice to have, but not a deal breaker. If @pushkar can work some magic and the battery manufacturer is the same, maybe they can figure out a way to use the same cylinder.

I have to be honest here: that is quite disappointing news.

So, if we get both the frame lock and the folding lock, are we talking about having 3 or 4 different sets of keys for the whole bike?
Of all things being done so far you are disappointed in carrying 4 keys? Come on. :rolleyes:

You are already carrying 2 batteries, a water bottle, your charger, the extra locks...... stop being disappointed for carrying an extra key.

Get real. Keep the key in the bag on the front rack.

Of all things being done so far you are disappointed in carrying 4 keys? Come on. :rolleyes:

This is definitely an area of improvement for future iterations. If EBR reviews this bike it will definitely come up. Some of the bigger brands use Abus cores on all locks so everything can be keyed alike.

I can understand how this can be a challenging detail to implement but I think it is worth it for @pushkar to explore in the future. This is a premium bike and this detail is a premium feature. Even if it was an small additional upgrade expense I think people would go for it. I know I would.

If this is our biggest complaint I’d say we are doing pretty good :)

[
128 5 star average google reviews
BOSTON LOCKSMITH

Here you go Pushkar, if it can be done these guys will do it :cool:

In another career I used to re-key locks some years ago.

ha ha.. :) To my knowledge the the lock cylinders need to be the same spec to be re-keyed (depth of the key hole and the width of the key being used). I believe those are different for the in-tube battery and the add-on battery.

I have a request out to Reention since April when we first had this feature. Definitely an area of improvement over time.

Get real.
You want real? I give you real. You have your opinions, and I have mine. Don’t ever tell me mine aren’t valid because they differ from yours. This is the first and last time I will react to your snarky, trollish comments.

@pushkar you are offering a premium vehicle at a premium price. I don’t think it’s too much to expect your best effort in creating something that we all can be proud of. Not just you but us customers as well. This commuter bike is one I’ll be riding to/from work every day. One I’ll be locking up and batteries sometimes removed to be charged. In your current development of the bike, you are content with requiring me to carry four keys for the necessary operation of the bike. That is, to say the least, far from ideal and genuinely disappointing. This is my feedback.

@pushkar you are offering a premium vehicle at a premium price. I don’t think it’s too much to expect your best effort in creating something that we all can be proud of. Not just you but us customers as well. This commuter bike is one I’ll be riding to/from work every day. One I’ll be locking up and batteries sometimes removed to be charged. In your current development of the bike, you are content with requiring me to carry four keys for the necessary operation of the bike. That is, to say the least, far from ideal and genuinely disappointing. This is my feedback.

As I mentioned in the previous comment, we need the manufacturer to support this. To my knowledge every case they pick has different lock specs (as they have evolved over time) - e.g. the shark pack was done in early 2011, the new -in-tube batteries were done in 2017. Their lock providers are different (to reention).

One solution will be for us to design our own batteries and thus control all aspects. However, that will go against the long term battery provider lock-in issue that you see with other vendors (like bosch etc). Also, if we go down this route the battery prices will be higher by $200-$300 (since it will be our mold and we will need to amortize that cost across 200-300 packs).

I am sorry you are disappointed. It takes a lot to get here - and if an acceptable solution emerges, we will offer it for sure. Unfortunately there is no right answer for the lock (same keys ) at the moment, just somewhat acceptable compromises whichever way we go. 😐

I am with onlineaddy that it will be a pain to carry multiple keys and have to fumble around figuring out which one to use, but I can certainly understand the issues that pushkar is having. I personally would rather have multiple keys then proprietary batteries that lock me in to one vendor.

This is definitely an area of improvement for future iterations. If EBR reviews this bike it will definitely come up. Some of the bigger brands use Abus cores on all locks so everything can be keyed alike.

I can understand how this can be a challenging detail to implement but I think it is worth it for @pushkar to explore in the future. This is a premium bike and this detail is a premium feature. Even if it was an small additional upgrade expense I think people would go for it. I know I would.

If this is our biggest complaint I’d say we are doing pretty good :)
Curious - has EBR come up with the same issue on other bikes ? I am absolutely sure that all bikes with dual batteries (anything other than Bosch) - e.g. from Frey, Biktrix, Luna (if and when they offer dual) has the same issue. We are in kind of unchartered territories here due to the list of features we have here.

I have not seen that brought up as a big concern by anyone. I understand some of what we all discuss is personal taste and the multiple locks do not bother me. I consider it as a safety feature - more keys means it is harder to steal with one key. If someone has to steal your bike, a simple lock is not going to stop them - you definitely need like 3 levels of U Lock to secure this.

All that being said, the UC Pro has already exceeded the expectations I had set for myself. The new controller, added efficiency, better color options... those are things we didn't start off with back in April. Everything we are seeing here is just gravy.

At this point, I cant wait to just get on it and start riding.

I am sorry you are disappointed. It takes a lot to get here - and if an acceptable solution emerges, we will offer it for sure. Unfortunately there is no right answer for the lock (same keys ) at the moment, just somewhat acceptable compromises whichever way we go. 😐
I appreciate your response and openness to feedback, Pushkar. I understand the situation you're confronted with and the compromises you've had to resort to. Keep doing your best is all we can hope for. Thank you.

Given the likelihood that Pushkar has been trying to fit square pegs in round holes for this entire project, The fact that a key actually turns is a more than likely a joy. I personally could spin more keys positively or not but prefer to focus on my original desire for a superior ( not perfect) bike at a reasonable ( not cheap) value.. so far so good!

Back