U-Lock solution for SuperDelite

nunosanches

Happy Tuesday everyone,

While I daydream about the Superdelite I’m waiting to receive I keep thinking about the different components I’ll use with it. In this case, I’ve been thinking about the lock that I’ll use.

The SD brings an Abus 6000 foldable lock. As I live in SF (high theft rate), I’m concerned about using that lock when I’m out and about in the city. Currently I use a New York Fahgetaboutitt with my analog bike locked and store it between the seat post and the backrack when biking. That kind of positioning is not great and would be damaging the paint of the fancy SD. I’m a fan of that lock but it has no little snap gadget to easily store it under the frame triangle (also don’t think it would fit in the SD that way because of the small space there)

So I’m looking for a neat solution to have a strong U-Lock.

1. Which (high-security) U-lock do you guys use with a SD or similar bike? I’m between another NY Fahgetaboutitt, the Abus Granit XPlus 540 or the fancier 770A SmartX 230
2. How do you put / store it in the bike when riding? In the front rack (not a fan, rather not do it), on the side next to the wheels? ....

Thank you for your input!

Nuno

@PeterL Thanks so much for sharing the thread. Lots of cool stuff there! I'm not sure whether putting the heavy lock in the front won't put too much weight all the time in the front of the bike... It's one idea to consider though. I was wondering if there would be a way to have the lock more towards the back of the bike.

Any lock could be cut with a grinder blade. The Abus level 15 or 20 in under 90sec.

This one will buy some xtra time. Maybe 20min.

Any lock could be cut with a grinder blade. The Abus level 15 or 20 in under 90sec.

This one will buy some xtra time. Maybe 20min.

Probably easier to cut away the bike rack!

Have you considered a cafe lock?

Attachments

• 20201105 abus cafe lock2.jpg
    20201105 abus cafe lock2.jpg
    968 KB · Views: 540
Any lock can be cut. Once a bike thief steals your bike what will they want to do? ride it away right? So take that option away.
For me beside using a Krypt ULock I use Xena caliper locks (they have motion sirens) on the calipers that prevents the wheels from rolling. I also use removable pedals. Easy to take them out and put them in your pocket. Last resort, take your saddle/seatpost off.
Great ideas thanks!!! Which caliper locks would work on an ebike like the SD?

I'd recommend a more systemic approach. I too am getting ready to buy either an SD or SC from R&M so had to research this same issue. I agree with you that the foldable lock is inappropriate. Here's a resource with lock references, insurance, and other useful info (better late than never).

Try the OnGuard Pitbull-

I'd have serious reservations here. The OnGuard Pitbull is not even the highest grade U-lock by that company. Even their highest grade U-lock, the Onguard Brute only lasts 2 1/2 minutes against an angle grinder. That's not appropriate for an e-bike in the $10K range. The recommendations here are much better and don't pretend the problem can be solved with a single lock.

I finally gave in and wrote this up not too long ago. The 'D' locks from Lockitt/Pragmasis are Sold Secure Diamond rated for bikes. The Xena is much stronger and requires two cuts of an angle grinder because the shaft will not rotate after just one cut; necessitating two and thus doubling the attack time.

I can't say anything bad about using two U locks and a chain. skip the chain and you have two independent locks, still. A small oblong molle pouch and a cargo net will hold them firm to your rear rack top. Or one in each side pannier to balance the load as low as possible.

I finally gave in and wrote this up not too long ago. The 'D' locks from Lockitt/Pragmasis are Sold Secure Diamond rated for bikes. The Xena is much stronger and requires two cuts of an angle grinder because the shaft will not rotate after just one cut; necessitating two and thus doubling the attack time.

I can't say anything bad about using two U locks and a chain. skip the chain and you have two independent locks, still. A small oblong molle pouch and a cargo net will hold them firm to your rear rack top. Or one in each side pannier to balance the load as low as possible.

The Xena lock looks interesting. Do you have any information on its total angle grinder cut time? I like that it requires two cuts as well.

Also, any cut time info on the Pragmasis?

Thanks for writing up your findings!

The Xena lock looks interesting. Do you have any information on its total angle grinder cut time? I like that it requires two cuts as well.

Also, any cut time info on the Pragmasis?

Thanks for writing up your findings!
I've seen a Pragmasis cut *somewhere* and it was in the ballpark of a minute-forty. But once that cut happens, its going to rotate open. Still, Sold Secure rates it Diamond for bikes and it is a motorcycle-grade lock. as is the Xena. Also the Lockpicking Lawyer said "this is a lock I'd consider using" which is high praise indeed. He notes it is made of hardened S2 tool steel. I can say from owning two of them they're more impressive visually than any Kryptonite or Abus.

But the Xena is in a class on its own. Again its not a bicycle lock but a motorcycle lock. I haven't seen it rated anywhere but its home market in France where it is "SRA Classe" approved. Here's something I pulled out regarding what SRA Classe ratings are:

Why Classe SRA matters: The French standard; brutality of attack, insurance requirement.

In France, locks that do not carry the Classe SRA logo are not considered to be an effective theft deterrent. In fact, you cannot insure a motorbike in France against theft without a Classe SRA-rated anti-theft device.

Classe SRA do not use a motorbike or machinery, only heavy duty tools with human force (but no picking). Classe SRA demand to see highly detailed drawings of the locks before testing, which they use to decide the weakest point (most often the locking pin) and then saw, leveraging/wedge; two tests on the key barrel include drilling with tungsten-carbide drill bit. They take five samples of each lock and even if they don’t succeed in breaking it, they try again. With U locks (like XENA U-Locks), they use additional tests including sledge-hammering. Testing is done by an official government laboratory.
So its some kind of government classification.

Whats the cut time? Not a clue. But its the most badass U lock I have ever seen. Here again, kissing goodbye the weight issue and just going for sheer mass, you gain the benefit, I think, of becoming the bike that looks like it will take the most work to steal versus the other bikes on the rack.

xena-xsu310-1.jpg

Back