Abus Granit Xplus 540 U-lock experiences?

Only folding? O really? Tell me how you can fold a Abus Granit X-Plus 540 U Lock or a ABUS Mini Round Shackle U Lock, 5.5"/15mm? You did actually read the link I posted? I guess not.

But Heck, believe what you want. And when your Abus lock gets cut with bolt cutters, don't blame me...
Easy there, guy. I hope your day gets better if you're having a bad one. Yes, I did look at the article before responding. The only Abus lock I saw that they reviewed in the article was the folding one. Yes, there were other Kryptonite locks, but the initial reference was to the Abus 540, which wasn't reviewed in the article. I know from other tests (which I researched and referenced in the article that I wrote) that the Abus 540 works alright for cut resistance (that is, it lasts a few minutes against an angle grinder and stands up well against bolt cutters).

I believe the only full proof way to avoid theft of a bicycle is to drive a car!

Deterrent is somewhat possible but if left alone and n out of the way spot, chances are it can be "liberated"
We definitely don't want folks forced to drive in those metal killboxes that ruin our environment and quality of life. We can minimize the risk, and we shouldn't give up so easily.

Easy there, guy. I hope your day gets better if you're having a bad one. Yes, I did look at the article before responding. The only Abus lock I saw that they reviewed in the article was the folding one. Yes, there were other Kryptonite locks, but the initial reference was to the Abus 540, which wasn't reviewed in the article. I know from other tests (which I researched and referenced in the article that I wrote) that the Abus 540 works alright for cut resistance (that is, it lasts a few minutes against an angle grinder and stands up well against bolt cutters).
Good grief. You really didn't read the whole article then, or you would have seen this:

ABUS U-Lock Granit X-Plus: Although this U-lock was one of the lightest for its size, we took significantly less time to cut through it than we did cutting through the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini.
ABUS U-Lock U-Mini 40: At first, we thought this lock would be a contender for the best lock because the design is very similar to that of the Kryptonite Evolution. Unfortunately, it was one of the easiest for us to cut with bolt cutters.
They didn't do a full review because these two failed a really basic test that they used.

Do you need me to recommend a good online course about reading skills? Hint: Read the full article as a start. Sometimes good stuff comes later.

Just saying...

Good grief. You really didn't read the whole article then, or you would have seen this:

They didn't do a full review because these two failed a really basic test that they used.

Do you need me to recommend a good online course about reading skills? Hint: Read the full article as a start. Sometimes good stuff comes later.

Just saying...
Yikes! I feel like a made a good faith attempt to reply here. Your attacks here set a bad tone for the forum and detract from the positive experience of others. Please be more considerate if you wish for others to engage with you in a positive way.

Yikes! I feel like a made a good faith attempt to reply here. Your attacks here set a bad tone for the forum and detract from the positive experience of others. Please be more considerate if you wish for others to engage with you in a positive way.
Sorry. I just have a low tolerance for bad, mistaken or wrong information.

Well, at 6.2kg or about 13 pounds this one, half the size of a human being might be the choice.

SAF-lock-in-hands_76e7d4d9-01d5-48ed-88b4-e9867bd1ded5.jpg

Sorry. I just have a low tolerance for bad, mistaken or wrong information.
I have an almost obsessive low tolerance for the same, so I understand you. I've been that way my entire life.
I read all the way down and saw the Abus locks didn't meet the standards so were all eliminated.
Frankly I was surprised to see that. I'm always looking to see if my lock meets the grade. I have a New York Kryptonite, (not the fagetaboutit) I think they call it the Standard? I'm not able to find any reviews. It was more $$$ than the Fagettaboutit and I think slightly longer, including a larger diameter of the U shank. I figured it would be at least as good. CN

I have an almost obsessive low tolerance for the same, so I understand you. I've been that way my entire life.
I read all the way down and saw the Abus locks didn't meet the standards so were all eliminated.
Frankly I was surprised to see that. I'm always looking to see if my lock meets the grade. I have a New York Kryptonite, (not the fagetaboutit) I think they call it the Standard? I'm not able to find any reviews. It was more $$$ than the Fagettaboutit and I think slightly longer, including a larger diameter of the U shank. I figured it would be at least as good. CN
I do have to sympathize with those that have to commute or shop with a bike and somehow maintain security. It seems an arms race with bigger/thicker locks and better, more portable tools to thwart security.

I am glad that I am past that point but even when I go to the coffee shop - more a restroom break, I'm unnerved by leaving the bike without an armed guard. Many times I'm with a friend and we trade off bathroom breaks or ordering with watching. On some rides we roll our bikes into our respective restrooms to speed up the stop.

I'm lucky to live in a theft-free paradise. On many occasions (gas station, supermarket) I can leave either of my e-bikes unattended for several minutes. It is also good to be on a ride with friends as there's always someone to keep an eye on the bikes. I actually hate carrying my Abus 440 A but I have to protect my e-bike during my, say, 40-minute grocery shopping. Just not to leave a chance to someone who might nick my e-bike just because they could.

I deeply sympathize in anyone living in a crime infested area.

Gosh! "4 minutes for an angle grinder!" In my opinion the fans of lock-breaking-art are just sick people; therefore I ignored Aaron.

I do have to sympathize with those that have to commute or shop with a bike and somehow maintain security. It seems an arms race with bigger/thicker locks and better, more portable tools to thwart security.

I am glad that I am past that point but even when I go to the coffee shop - more a restroom break, I'm unnerved by leaving the bike without an armed guard. Many times I'm with a friend and we trade off bathroom breaks or ordering with watching. On some rides we roll our bikes into our respective restrooms to speed up the stop.
If I lived in NY City I would never feel comfortable leaving my bike no matter what lock I had. I live outside San Diego and I feel comfortable with a cafe lock. To me place has a great deal to do with the requirement for security. If I was parking at the beach in San Diego I would drag my heavy Kryptonite along, even for a coffee. My 2 cents.

Just came across a video on Yourtube showing a bike lock that was (kinda)* angle grinder proof.

*I say kinda, because they were able to cut through the lock after going through 4 or 5 cutting wheels and making a lot of noise and smoke.

Here's a link to the video:

The one negative is the weight, which is 4 pounds. Not a really big deal on my ebike, but I wouldn't use one when riding my light, carbon road bike.

Just came across a video on Yourtube showing a bike lock that was (kinda)* angle grinder proof.

*I say kinda, because they were able to cut through the lock after going through 4 or 5 cutting wheels and making a lot of noise and smoke.

Here's a link to the video:

The one negative is the weight, which is 4 pounds. Not a really big deal on my ebike, but I wouldn't use one when riding my light, carbon road bike.
I've already set up an order for it. I think it's a nice compromise of angle grinder resistance and weight. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airlok/hiplok-d1000-anti-angle-grinder-bike-lock/

I've already set up an order for it. I think it's a nice compromise of angle grinder resistance and weight. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/airlok/hiplok-d1000-anti-angle-grinder-bike-lock/
As pointed out in comments - forget cutting the d-lock, cut the thing it is attached to! Also, is the keyhole subject to easy picking?

And, then I come back to my dastardly comment - if thief can't have the bike - neither can the owner - take the grinder to the bike itself - malicious, yes, but.... I wonder how often that might happen?

As pointed out in comments - forget cutting the d-lock, cut the thing it is attached to! Also, is the keyhole subject to easy picking?

And, then I come back to my dastardly comment - if thief can't have the bike - neither can the owner - take the grinder to the bike itself - malicious, yes, but.... I wonder how often that might happen?
Same thoughts.

It was many years ago when I was a young university student. I left my bike attached with a chain to a banister at a block of flats when I visited my gf. A thief could not steal my bike so he was hitting my bike as long as it resembled a piece of junk...

There was a sweet story told and documented by an EBR member some time ago. He owned a Stromer and came home for a lunch, leaving his e-bike attached to a solid bar of fence in NYC. While he was eating, his smartphone notified him his e-bike was just being stolen. He run out from his house in slippers; he called the NYPD and was tracking the Stromer, as the e-bike had a GPS anti-theft device hidden somewhere in the motor. The thief could only walk the bike, as the motor was locked.

The police arrived to the scene soon. In half an hour, they found the thief. He was trying to disassemble the Stromer but could not do it, as all the bolts had security heads, requiring a unique wrench type. The thief was arrested, and the attorney charged the guy within an hour.

The thief had just cut the bar of the fence. Frustrated with his failure to take the bike apart, he damaged it a little bit in his fury.

I have a dutch 'cafe' lock from Abus with the extension. I bought a high end Kryptonite lock which is a pain due to weight and wanted something to lock up while at the dentist or doctor's office. I bolted the Abus wheel lock onto the frame so easy to carry. The extension has a ring at one end to easily fasten around a fixed pole or bench and then plug into the lock. The ebike is foldable so the extension locks both wheels when folded. I also carry a cable the locks the seat and the extension locks that in place. I relize this is not as strong as the Kryptonite but the bike is never locked for more than 2 hrs and always in a protected area. I also know an angle grinder will cut through anything in less than 60 secs so anything is a compromise. I also have bike insurance so there is additional backup. In my book the Abus wheel lock is a winner.
Does the Abus cafe lock with extension satisfy the lock requirement of your insurance policy?
What company are you insured by?

Thank you.

In keeping with the security topic of this thread, I don't have a lock but added an Apple Airtag to my bike - under the water bottle holder. Hoping I'll have enough time to track my bike down if stolen. :)

Attachments

• 20220211_142051.jpg
    20220211_142051.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 20220211_172652.jpg
    20220211_172652.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 174
In keeping with the security topic of this thread, I don't have a lock but added an Apple Airtag to my bike - under the water bottle holder. Hoping I'll have enough time to track my bike down if stolen. :)
I added alarms to my bikes. They are loud, easy to install and cheap. 15-20 bucks...

I added alarms to my bikes. They are loud, easy to install and cheap. 15-20 bucks...
the things area pain though. the remotes can get set off in your pocket. and I have had one that stopped sensing movement till I replaced it. then it went off easily.

the things area pain though. the remotes can get set off in your pocket. and I have had one that stopped sensing movement till I replaced it. then it went off easily.
I agree they can be a pain, but if I'm going to stop off for a beer downtown and cant take my bike inside, I like the extra layer of security of the alarm paired with my Kryptonite Ulock and Cable. Most places do let me bring my bikes inside which is nice. I still lock it up!

Back