Abus Granit Xplus 540 U-lock experiences?

I agree they can be a pain, but if I'm going to stop off for a beer downtown and cant take my bike inside, I like the extra layer of security of the alarm paired with my Kryptonite Ulock and Cable. Most places do let me bring my bikes inside which is nice. I still lock it up!
I have a alarm Abus lock so I use both when I go to the movies. I just wish someone would make a higher quality alarm.

I have a alarm Abus lock so I use both when I go to the movies. I just wish someone would make a higher quality alarm.
Wow, you go to the movies and lock up the bike. Even with an alarm I'd be out of my seat, checking the bike every few minutes.

I agree the alarm in the Abus 440A U-Lock is not the best. I fortunately live in a very peaceful area. When riding to the shopping mall, I feel obliged to lock the bike only not to give someone an opportunity to walk away with my SL just because they could...

I agree the alarm in the Abus 440A U-Lock is not the best. I fortunately live in a very peaceful area. When riding to the shopping mall, I feel obliged to lock the bike only not to give someone an opportunity to walk away with my SL just because they could...
I have the alarmed folding lock it works pretty well. its also keyed to the battery and my other bike and my shop lock one key for everything.

I'm finally going to buy as sturdy a lock as possible for my new Vado SL. Just to lock it to a post for a dash into a bakery (nothing overnight). My trusty local bike shop strongly recommends the pricy Abus Granit Xplus 540 U-lock (Can$ 200) over Kryptonite.

But at The Wirecutter (the NYT's generally reliable consumer guide), they've determined, to my dismay, that this Abus is not hard to cut through: "ABUS U-Lock Granit X-Plus: While this U-lock was one of the lightest for its size, we took significantly less time to cut through it than we did cutting through the New York Fahgettaboudit Mini."
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bike-lock/

The Kryptonite standout, the "New York Fahgettaboudit" series, seems totally out of stock here in Canada or on online sites, though. Dilemma.
I have both the Extreme and Granite X -Plus for my Ebikes. Here's another review which shows the Granite X Plus U lock as having one of the longer angle grinder resistant times. It seems as of 2022 the only angle grinder "resistant" lock is the $300+ Hip Lock D-1000 which is currently on back order. https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/1381/cycling-locks-tested-until-breaking-point

I use a combination of the Abus Granit 540 & when I'm at home in our apartment's storage I use a 14mm thick chain lock attached to a fixed anchor. As mentioned if someone wants to steal your bike your job is to make them look at it and go "It's not worth the hassle". The more locks you use - the less likely they are to have a go. It's a balance between convenience and weight.

I use a combination of the Abus Granit 540 & when I'm at home in our apartment's storage I use a 14mm thick chain lock attached to a fixed anchor. As mentioned if someone wants to steal your bike your job is to make them look at it and go "It's not worth the hassle". The more locks you use - the less likely they are to have a go. It's a balance between convenience and weight.
I wouldnt leave an ebike unlocked and unattended for more than 15 minutes anywhere. Even when I go for a ride and stop for a beer, I make sure I can see it and put on my Kryptonite Ulock and cable and activate my loud annoying alarm. I see guys riding bikes carrying another bike around here. Seems like every homeless person has a nice bike. Wonder how they got em?

I am going to get one of these frame locks. Since most bike thieves ride away on the bike it seems a perfect solution for a quick dash into the grocery store. Sure, they could lift your bike into a van but they also could do that with a quick snip of a cable. Abus make a chain tether that works with one of their locks, probably the best system out there for brief periods out of sight of your bike.

I am going to get one of these frame locks. Since most bike thieves ride away on the bike it seems a perfect solution for a quick dash into the grocery store. Sure, they could lift your bike into a van but they also could do that with a quick snip of a cable. Abus make a chain tether that works with one of their locks, probably the best system out there for brief periods out of sight of your bike.

Besides a lock, I've also purchased a small container that fits under a water bottle holder and contains an Apple Airtag. I'll get my bike back eventually. :)

Besides a lock, I've also purchased a small container that fits under a water bottle holder and contains an Apple Airtag. I'll get my bike back eventually. :)
Every solution I've seen for hiding the airtags like this (including 3d printed ones) are wildly obvious. Which are you using?

Every solution I've seen for hiding the airtags like this (including 3d printed ones) are wildly obvious. Which are you using?

I actually think wildly obvious is a good thing - in a way. But I feel you. btw - held on by 'special' screw type that requires uncommon bit to remove/install

2022-06-23 09_05_16-AmazonSmile_ GRAPID® AirTag Bike Mount Anti-Theft Universal incl. Security...png

on many ebikes, there’s a plastic motor or battery cover which you can affix an airtag to the inside of. not something a thief is likely to look for right away. mine is covered very neatly in heavy duty black fabric tape, not sure they’d even see it if they removed the cover unless that’s what they were specifically looking for.

on many ebikes, there’s a plastic motor or battery cover which you can affix an airtag to the inside of. not something a thief is likely to look for right away. mine is covered very neatly in heavy duty black fabric tape, not sure they’d even see it if they removed the cover unless that’s what they were specifically looking for.
Not your Creo?

Well .... just to add to the brush fire here, after purchasing an E-Bike to replace my 29'er, I decided to upgrade on my Krytonite U lock. After many hours of reading, watching YouTube, and anything else I could find, it came down to two locks: the Kryptonite LS M-18 and the Abus Granit 540 X-Plus. The deciding factor, for me, is the key issue that Kryptonite seem to have over time of the key sticking, jamming, or just not working, so opted for the Abus. Pretty much every review gave it a 4.5 to 5 star rating, and the only bit go confusion I encountered was its' Solid Secure rating. I have seen it rated as both "gold" and "diamond" and I think ART gives it a 3.5. The only other two locks that seem to do better are the Granit 59 and Hiplock D1000 (at $350). Anyway, I think I'm good as I dont live in a city, rarely go to a big city, live in a rural area and the biggest place I may be is in Bend, Oregon (close to me). Interesting reading on the thread, though. Oh, and I am in the process of putting an Abus Cafe / frame lock on my Trek, this week. I don't think I'll opt for the associated chain, yet.

Well .... just to add to the brush fire here, after purchasing an E-Bike to replace my 29'er, I decided to upgrade on my Krytonite U lock. After many hours of reading, watching YouTube, and anything else I could find, it came down to two locks: the Kryptonite LS M-18 and the Abus Granit 540 X-Plus. The deciding factor, for me, is the key issue that Kryptonite seem to have over time of the key sticking, jamming, or just not working, so opted for the Abus. Pretty much every review gave it a 4.5 to 5 star rating, and the only bit go confusion I encountered was its' Solid Secure rating. I have seen it rated as both "gold" and "diamond" and I think ART gives it a 3.5. The only other two locks that seem to do better are the Granit 59 and Hiplock D1000 (at $350). Anyway, I think I'm good as I dont live in a city, rarely go to a big city, live in a rural area and the biggest place I may be is in Bend, Oregon (close to me). Interesting reading on the thread, though. Oh, and I am in the process of putting an Abus Cafe / frame lock on my Trek, this week. I don't think I'll opt for the associated chain, yet.
Good luck. I have so many locks and frankly don't really trust any of them which is why I have so many:
"This one might be better, no this one, no that one....."

I have the Abus Cafe on my Creo but generally don't leave it alone. A coffee shop about three weeks ago as I stepped into the shop and bathroom. Engaged the Abus with plenty of people around and mentioned keeping an eye on my bike.

Beautiful area you live in or, at least, Bend is!

Oh, and I am in the process of putting an Abus Cafe / frame lock on my Trek, this week. I don't think I'll opt for the associated chain, yet.
The plug in chain is really handy with a frame lock.

Loop the chain around what you're locking to, slide the end through your helmet strap and plug into the cafe lock. Or loop the chain around your front wheel (100cm reaches on the 2022 Vado) then behind the post you're securing to and plug into the frame lock. A few days ago my wife and I rode to a place for breakfast - I locked my bike to a solid post using the chain then she locked her bike to mine using her chain / frame lock. Super easy and no fuss. We sat inside where we could see the bikes of course.

While not as secure as the Abus Granit 540 X-Plus tha 8mm or 6mm chains are adequate for most situations where you won't be out of view of your bike for very long.

Also note that you can get Abus locks in matching keys - so the 5755L frame lock and Granit 540 both use the Xplus key and can be ordered to match.

Not your Creo?
i do have an Airtag inside the motor cover on my creo, covered by heavy duty black fabric tape. works well, doesn’t rattle and no chance of it coming lose.

on the abus side.… someone tried to steal my commuter a while back, they cut through one side of the xplus 54 mini. but since both sides are engaged at the crossbar, they also had to cut the other side and didn’t make it through before someone (presumably) scared them off!

on the negative side, abus will not sell me a replacement shackle only for my keyed-alike lock. wasteful and annoying.

I also purchased an Abus 540 X-Plus lock to use with my traveling items of 1 chain lock, 2 Kryptonite Silver locks and two cables. If someone wants my bike the bad, o be it.

I'm a new member, with a shiny new Vado 4.0. I have the Abus chain and Cafe lock on the way, and I ordered the folding lock as I wasn't always sure what I would be bolting to would fit the dimensions of a U Lock.
What's the consensus on the folding lock? I don't think I live in that high of a crime area, but of course I won't know until things go missing. I'd plan to park in fairly well trafficd areas.
I realize the previous reviews on it and others have been mixed. But have those if you with the nice U Locks run into areas that you can't properly attach to? That's my big fear I think. I'm going to rent a locker for a few bucks a month when I take it to work, and like others, I'd prefer to keep two locks on it when possible.
Thanks!

Back