Vado 5.0 owners: what are you using for a lock?

Nonlinear

I got my Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH about a month ago, and haven't yet purchased a lock since I store the bike in my office and secured storage at home. However, I'd like to get a lock in case I need to make quick stops on the way home from work. I live in Vancouver, where bike theft is rampant. I've been looking at the Abus Granit Extreme 59 and the Kryptonite new York Fahgettaboudit Mini. Both seem quite secure, but I'm concerned the Kryptonite may not fit around the large frame and tires of the Vado. What are you all using?

I'm a Vado 4.0 owner but same applies.

I use an Abus 5755L cafe/frame lock plus a 100mm 6KS chain. Super convenient since the lock is always already on the bike, and the chain makes it easy to lock to a variety of different things. While not the most stout defense against thieves, in my suburbian environment it's sufficient for my usage - quick stop at a store, going to a brewer beer garden, etc. Any thief would need to make one thick cut or two less thick cuts to defeat the chain just to be able to carry the bike away, or another one or two cuts to defeat the frame lock to be able to ride the bike away.

See my post here.

I use a really bad cable lock , could be cut with wire cutters probably. I am never out of site and usually just a few feet from it on the inside of a convenience store if anywhere not on it , maybe using Mother Nature in a rare emergency. My thought is they can’t ride it away without a little extra effort.

Not real helpful I know but this is what I do , I guess my trust issues extend to my bike lol

Last edited:
I have an Abus 5750L frame lock with chain and a Hiplok D1000. I also don’t leave it out of sight for longer than a few minutes.

I use an ABUS cafe/frame lock on the rear wheel with the added security chain, plus the ABUS folding lock with the alarm. I ordered these through Propel and they are all keyed to use the same key as my battery, so only one key. I usually only use the cafe lock because I am never away from the bike and it is so simple and easy to use. The only place I recall ever having used all three locks at the same time was at the pier in Monterey, CA, about a year ago. It was on a very busy Saturday and my son's girlfriend had never been there before, so she wanted to walk the entire pier and hit all the touristy shops. It was a bit of a hassle to set all three of the locks and take them all back off when we were ready to go again, but I had no problems and that was the point.

@Jim in Central CA does Propel actually let you match your ABUS keys to the battery key that came with the Vado???
Propel doesn't do that, but ABUS does. I just went through Propel to make my purchase as they knew exactly what I was looking for and made it easy for me to get it. Keep in mind that I have a 2019 Vado that came new with an ABUS battery lock. I then just decided which cafe/frame lock would fit and then also decided on the additional chain and the folding lock. The 2022 Vado comes with an AXA battery lock so I don't have any experience with that brand. However, if you have the 2017 - 2021 version I can wholeheartedly recommend using ABUS locks for their quality and the convenience of having them all keyed alike. For the 2022 model I would guess AXA does, or soon will, offer the same convenience.

For the 2022 model I would guess AXA does, or soon will, offer the same convenience.
AXA does not presently have a key matching service, nor have I seen any indication they plan to do so.

Speaking for myself, I've not felt a need for it - I only use the battery key occasionally and in completely different situations from when I use the cafe lock key. Plus since I chose the retaining version of my cafe lock, I wouldn't want it the same as the battery key.

I have 2 locks for my 5.0 IGH. One is an Abus Granit XPlux 540 ULock and the other is Tex-Lock Eyelet with X-Lock with large cable (160cm.) I ran across a U-Lock bracket that mounts underneath the seat that does a great job of holding the U-Lock. You can see it at lockrockit.net. If you have your seat adjusted all the way to the back, it may not work but works great for me.

I use an ABUS Granit X 59 ULock as the primary fastener and some Kryptonite cables to secure wheels and seat. It's probably overkill given that I live in deep suburbia, but I like the security-to-weight ratio.

The Abus Amparo 4750X Frame/Wheel Lock will fit the 2022 Specialized Turbo Vados, but they are hard to find in the USA. I just ordered a pair of them for our Vado 4.0's and hopefully they will be here next week. One retailer claims they will have more stock in December 2022. @GuruUno purchased one of these for his bike.

My wife and I already have a pair of Tex-Lock eyelet cables with their large U-lock. These are 63 inch cables with one of the eyelets large enough to allow the cable to pass back through itself. The main advantage of this brand is that the cable itself is completely fabric covered so that it won't scratch or ding the pain and they are relatively light for their size. Probably not as secure as some other brands, but more practical for my application. These are still bulky enough that we would prefer not to carry them unless we know the bikes will be out of sight for more than a few minutes (hence the order for the Abus frame locks).

Attachments

• TexLock_picture.jpg
    TexLock_picture.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 180
The Foldylock Classic was the longest folding lock I could find and it worked on my Rad, now used on my Vado. It's mounted on one of the bottle cage mounts. I also have a Hiplock Gold I wear for when I'll be leaving the bike for more than a few minutes (in addition to the Foldylock). Obviously nothing is 100%, but I feel confident with these 2 in place - one through each wheel and around the frame.

The Abus Amparo 4750X Frame/Wheel Lock will fit the 2022 Specialized Turbo Vados, but they are hard to find in the USA. I just ordered a pair of them for our Vado 4.0's and hopefully they will be here next week. One retailer claims they will have more stock in December 2022. @GuruUno purchased one of these for his bike

I ordered my Abus 5755L R from Amazon.de shipped to the US. it’s a little smaller than the 4750X yet fits my 2022 Vado 4.0 well. Key retaining locks are tough to find in the US for some reason.

I just got my 5750X Abus Cafe lock mounted to my Vado 4.0 tonight. It fits perfectly on the factory mounts/hardware. I'll also run a 6000X Abus folding lock with the bike mount. I'd prefer not to run the folding lock, but it will be handy for when my wife and I want to lock our bikes up together. I might still get a Kryptonite U lock that I can use with just my bike.

I'd prefer not to run the folding lock, but it will be handy for when my wife and I want to lock our bikes up together.

I put an AXA Defender on my wife’s Verve+ 2 and just run her plug in chain through my Vado’s frame to the same post/rack or just use her chain to lock to my bike.

Bonus is using the chain to lock our helmets. 👍

I have a Vado 5 and a Vado 4 and use two different locks for each:
1. ABUS 5755L frame lock (aka cafe lock)
2. ABUS Bordo Combo folding lock.

The folding one is good to lock to an object.
The frame (cafe style) one doesn’t lock to an object but is good to immobilize and is arguably harder to cut/defeat.

Back