U-Lock Size Suggestion

kk6ou

I just purchased a Trek Allant+ 8S and I've been studying different lock types. I now understand that all you can do is slow down a thief. I was considering a folding lock and now think the U-Lock is a little more secure. I'm looking at 2 Abus locks
1. ABUS Granit XPlus 540/160 HB 230, 9 Inch U Bike Lock
2. ABUS Granit XPlus 540 + USH Brkt 300mm LS Shackle

I think the only difference is that one is 230mm (9") and the other is 300mm (~ 12"). I was thinking of the 300mm but from what I read it's easier to get tools in between the longer ulocks. Anyone using either of these locks? I don't plan on leaving the bike alone for longer than an hour and I live in St George UT which isn't exactly the crime capital of the US. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

9" is the "common" U-lock size. The longer lock is only easier to defeat in one kind of attack, but that attack method is not common to my knowledge. The extra real estate of the longer lock makes it more convenient to use, but less convenient to carry.

Some great choices there Doug. I'm looking to upgrade my locks from last year as well.

On YouTube I found an awesome content creator for locks - LockPickingLawyer

Here's a video he did for the ABUS Granit X-Plus 540's you're looking at - his opinion (quite positive feedback) and yes, his ability to pick the lock:

Now, don't let how fast he picked the lock scare you - he does that to basically every lock he comes across, lol. What I did take away from the video, other than his praise for the build quality and hardening of the ABUS locks - is even he (a professional) needed a particular type of picking tool in order to take on the design of this lock.

As for an additional recommendation, I've started this year by purchasing the Kryptonite New-U New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Heavy Duty:

I like the 18mm harden steel shackle and although I went with the mini size model it still gives 6.5" of space for me to reach around whatever I'm locking to and the frame of my bike. The first few times I have used it I was able to find somewhere to lock it to within a minute or two of each stop.

If your needs are for the longer opening there are the full size models available as well around the same size of the ABUS units you're looking at.

Both the ABUS and Kryptonite are awesome choices, in my short time researching them. I'm certain other veteran members will chime in with their experience and suggestions and I look forward to their posts.

I'll leave you with this fun video,

Hydraulic Cutter EXPLODES vs Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Lock

Cheers!
Shaun

Yes, I have seen all the videos of people defeating $100+ locks. Quite discouraging. I have followed the Lock Picking Lawyer for quite a while because I enjoy picking locks also but not quite to his expertise. What really freaked me out is how easily an angle grinder cuts through the locks. I used an angle grinder for rebar after trying a saw and yes they really zip through hardened steel. I was just wondering if the longer U-Lock is that much easier to access on a bike. In the past with my $500+ Trek non e-bike I have used inexpensive cable locks. After seeing how easy they are to cut I decided I would go for a much harder lock on my $4K+ e-bike. I've never used a U-Lock and 9" seemed really short. I guess I might buy the 300mm and hope my area isn't full of bike thieves. Most of the people I know that have lost their bikes have them stolen out of their open garage.

After checking size and other considerations I ordered the Abus 540 230mm 9" lock. I'll post more when I try out the lock.

Yes, I have seen all the videos of people defeating $100+ locks. Quite discouraging. I have followed the Lock Picking Lawyer for quite a while because I enjoy picking locks also but not quite to his expertise. What really freaked me out is how easily an angle grinder cuts through the locks. I used an angle grinder for rebar after trying a saw and yes they really zip through hardened steel. I was just wondering if the longer U-Lock is that much easier to access on a bike. In the past with my $500+ Trek non e-bike I have used inexpensive cable locks. After seeing how easy they are to cut I decided I would go for a much harder lock on my $4K+ e-bike. I've never used a U-Lock and 9" seemed really short. I guess I might buy the 300mm and hope my area isn't full of bike thieves. Most of the people I know that have lost their bikes have them stolen out of their open garage.
Just so your clear Rebar is not hardened steel but Mild steel. Your point is well taken small cordless angle grinder will cut hardened steel.

Back