Allant+ 7s U-Lock Mount Location?

Yeah - I haven't actually locked it up anywhere yet so haven't tried the U lock yet, but am familiar with Shelton Brown's method.

I was thinking of getting the Abus CITYCHAIN™ 1010/110cm instead of the folding lock to use in addition to the U. It's only a 12 on Abus's security scale vs the folding lock's 15, but I think that is fine when combined with the U Lock that is a 15. It is cheaper than both the 85 and 110cm folding locks and it is lighter than the 110cm folding. It's also more flexible for getting around things.

Those abus citychains are garbage, espescially the 1010 model.

Go to westechrigging.com and order a pewag security chain. 5 foot will let you tie it to anything you may find. 10mm minimum size.

Those abus citychains are garbage, espescially the 1010 model.

Go to westechrigging.com and order a pewag security chain. 5 foot will let you tie it to anything you may find. 10mm minimum size.
Out of curiosity, what makes them garbage? I know that it is only 9mm and wouldn't use it on it's own, but figure in combination with a Abus 540 U Lock that it should be fine. Is it something about Abus or just that it is only 9mm that you don't like it?

Every Trek store (4 total) I’ve been to since I bought my Allant+7 a year ago has told me they would do the update free of charge. In fact I had a Trek shop 3 hours away from me install the initial update that took the torque from 75Nm to 85Nm, added the EMTB mode, and light on/off capability. It only took them about 15 minutes and they did it while patching my first flat. They did charge me for that.
BTW, I always ask the service folks and they all said I would need to make an appointment.
You're just very fortunate, Dallant, that your area LBS will give you free updates or feature changes such as the ones you listed. The four stores near me (3 Trek owned shops and 1 REI-Coop Shop which is a Trek Authorized Shop) want to charge anywhere from $35 to $45 to do this. Trek Corporate told me that it's up to the store manager on whether Bosch updates are done for free or not. It's pretty inconsistent, especially since Trek owns the three shops near me in San Diego.

You're just very fortunate, Dallant, that your area LBS will give you free updates or feature changes such as the ones you listed. The four stores near me (3 Trek owned shops and 1 REI-Coop Shop which is a Trek Authorized Shop) want to charge anywhere from $35 to $45 to do this. Trek Corporate told me that it's up to the store manager on whether Bosch updates are done for free or not. It's pretty inconsistent, especially since Trek owns the three shops near me in San Diego.
It really is frustrating that they don't at least have a standard for this. I understand the cost might differ by locale, but the fact that some Trek owned stores do it free and some places charge gives the customer an inconsistent experience (something most large brands hate).

And honestly it floors me that Trek doesn't include either a set amount of updates or (preferably) a time period of free updates (ex: free firmware updates for 2 years from date of purchase) especially when the whole process takes about 5 minutes. Trek has a huge advantage with their giant network of stores which is part of the reason people pay a premium for a Trek and rather that leverage that advantage and use it as a selling point, it can actually become a negative as it leaves a bad taste in people's mouth.

Part of that would seem to be rural vs big city attitude but I’ve yet to go to any Trek shop that has even suggested charging for an update.

It really is frustrating that they don't at least have a standard for this. I understand the cost might differ by locale, but the fact that some Trek owned stores do it free and some places charge gives the customer an inconsistent experience (something most large brands hate).

And honestly it floors me that Trek doesn't include either a set amount of updates or (preferably) a time period of free updates (ex: free firmware updates for 2 years from date of purchase) especially when the whole process takes about 5 minutes. Trek has a huge advantage with their giant network of stores which is part of the reason people pay a premium for a Trek and rather that leverage that advantage and use it as a selling point, it can actually become a negative as it leaves a bad taste in people's mouth.
Trek’s standard is that the shop can charge or not charge for the updates.
I’ve never even seen a Trek Corporate store. Mostly smaller shops and a couple of large sports retail centers like Scheels. They’ve all offered updates free.

Trek’s standard is that the shop can charge or not charge for the updates.
I’ve never even seen a Trek Corporate store. Mostly smaller shops and a couple of large sports retail centers like Scheels. They’ve all offered updates free.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Trek's enormous popularity in all of San Diego County has something to do with it. The total number of Trek corporate-owned shops plus the Trek Authorized privately owned shops in the San Diego market is approximately 9. That doesn't include the numerous non-Trek e-bike shops that serve the enormous number of ebike riding customers, two bike coalitions, tons of bike cycling groups, bike clubs, and meetups.

So my theory is that since there are so many Trek shops along with so many e-bicyclists and would-be e-bicyclists, the Trek managers probably formed a unified agreement (formal or informal) that set the terms on fees for Bosch update services: Pay for the Bosch updates or go somewhere else to pay for the same service.

Or I could be all wrong about the unified agreement theory. In either case, Trek Corporate told me that they are leaving it up to the managers of their Trek owned stores to set the fee-- a kind of hands-off policy.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Back