• Nah, I use airless tires!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ava1ar

Region
USA
City
North NJ
In on of the recent threads there were a discussion about the tube vs. tubeless on the ebikes. There where several opinions expressed, but not sufficient statistics were shared to make a conclusion what is popular and actually being used by majority of people, at least those who visits and reads this forum. So I decided to open poll to get some statistics. Thanks for participating.

NOTE: this is for ebikes only!

I'd rather discuss what tire pressure to run.....or......what oil should I use in my car/truck/lawnmower/snowblower etc......
Or ..... what brand blinker fluid is the best and won't break the bank......
Should I go on.????

I'd rather discuss what tire pressure to run.....or......what oil should I use in my car/truck/lawnmower/snowblower etc......
Or ..... what brand blinker fluid is the best and won't break the bank......
Should I go on.????
What blinker fluid ARE you using? Curious.

;)

Speaking of blinker fluid, this is the brand I use.....and may I add that while using this fluid I have never had my blinders fail to turn on. 👍

516nF4k5LOL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I am also running FLAT OUT in both tires, psi @ 25F/30R, this area is Goat Head central plus I have tire liners in both, have approximately 950+ miles on the OEM tires, but I m looking for a set of GOOD off road tires as backup, for this 100# off road beast.
I am really thinking about adding a set of Tannus inserts also, to get as much protection possible, when I head up to my fishing hole, this area is nothing but crushed Black Obsidian balls, razor sharp like a medical scalpel.

I was greatly surprised that I didn't have any flats from last years 100+ mile rides,
last year. Both dogs had cuts in their feet. You don't go bare foot there.
YMMV

I'm embarrassed to admit I can't remember.

Definitely tubeless in the levo sl
But the giant? I had tannus, but think I replaced one or both of them with tubeless

It's not easy to keep track when you have to keep up with the family fleet ( 6 regular bikes, 2 ebikes, and 2 motorbikes )

I'd love to install the tyres on my Vado SL as tubeless (the rims and my Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss tyres are compatible) only I swap my Summer tyres for Winter ones for the coldest months and the tubeless is too messy to do the swap twice a year.

I'd love to install the tyres on my Vado SL as tubeless (the rims and my Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss tyres are compatible) only I swap my Summer tyres for Winter ones for the coldest months and the tubeless is too messy to do the swap twice a year.

The sealant needs replacing every 6 months, so chances are there would be minimal mess .

The sealant needs replacing every 6 months, so chances are there would be minimal mess .
When you remove the tubeless tyre it is a mess anyway. Been there done that. It was the single factor to reduce my enthusiasm about the tubeless setup. You are lucky to live in a continent with no ice in the winters...

The sealant needs replacing every 6 months
So, one more negative to the tubeless noted - regular maintenance required. Why nobody mentioned this before?
only I swap my Summer tyres for Winter ones for the coldest months
I did it once and then simply built new wheel set for winter season. Changing wheels is simpler than swapping tires (even ones with tubes) and you always have a backup set of wheels just in case.

So, one more negative to the tubeless noted - regular maintenance required. Why nobody mentioned this before?
Do you regularly re-inflate your tyres? Not? It is a regular maintenance action, too.

I did it once and then simply built new wheel set for winter season. Changing wheels is simpler than swapping tires (even ones with tubes) and you always have a backup set of wheels just in case.
Wheels for a good e-bike are expensive. It is not that easy starting with the hub and rim selection, spokes. For some e-bikes, there is a non-standard hub size (like 12x148 mm MTB Boost) for a given frame, making a purchase of ready wheels problematic, as the wheels of the rim diameter 21 mm typically come with the 12x142 mm hubs, etc. etc. Now, you also need an extra cassette, an extra brake rotor, and the speed magnet bracket.

You need the storage space for the spare wheel set, too. While the tubed approach only requires swapping tyres twice a year.

Tubes also need replacing - with the type of riding we do, they ball up . Ie the movement between them and the tyre develops little balls of rubber both inside the tube and between the tyre / tube. If by some miracle you manage 6 months without a pinch flat, the tubes are junk.

ps - tannus inserts also need maintenance, the foam compresses over time

Do you regularly re-inflate your tyres? Not? It is a regular maintenance action, too.

Wheels for a good e-bike are expensive. It is not that easy starting with the hub and rim selection, spokes. For some e-bikes, there is a non-standard hub size (like 12x148 mm MTB Boost) for a given frame, making a purchase of ready wheels problematic, as the wheels of the rim diameter 21 mm typically come with the 12x142 mm hubs, etc. etc. Now, you also need an extra cassette, an extra brake rotor, and the speed magnet bracket.

You need the storage space for the spare wheel set, too. While the tubed approach only requires swapping tyres twice a year.

I'm really struggling with your 6 month tyre change concern.

Do you actually re use a tyre that has been used for 6 months then left on a shelf for 6 months? Aren't they shredded after 6 months? Or losing traction after another 6 months in storage?

Fresh tyres are cheaper than hospital bills

I'm really struggling with your 6 month tyre change concern.

Do you actually re use a tyre that has been used for 6 months then left on a shelf for 6 months? Aren't they shredded after 6 months? Or losing traction after another 6 months in storage?

Fresh tyres are cheaper than hospital bills
No, trust me, it is all fine with them. You are probably biased by your MTB rides that are harsh for the equipment and parts. Road or even gravel riding is very mild on the tyres indeed.

Back