Votes: 26 54.2%
  • Tubeless

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • I have both on different ebikes

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Nah, I use airless tires!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When I bought my e-MTB a few years ago, it came with tubes from the shop. As I used to swap summer and winter tires, I didn't want the mess. Soon after, I found a well priced used wheelset and ISPs and stopped doing tire swaps. I bought replacement tires when they were on sale last fall (same as OEM, Maxxis Assegai and Dissector) and yesterday it was time to change tires as the rear was getting pretty worn. As I changed the tires out, I changed to tubeless. Pretty simple, although the kit supplied with bike (Giant) didn't have the instructions attached, I figured it out.

The only concern was the orientation of the new valve stems as the ones supplied were rectangular in shape for inside the tire. I googled about alignment and didn't find a lot, but did find some basic info and went with it.
I didn't pour sealant in - I used the method of removing valve core and squeezed the contents of the 2oz bottles in. I bottle per tire.

Now we'll see what happens, as I've not had a flat in 3+ years.

Queue Mr. Murphy!

Bottles have pointed ends - designed to be used to "shoot" the sealant in with no extra stuff required (other than a valve core removal tool).
It is not what I said. Unlike the tubed tyre (where the tube makes the tyre bead clinch onto the rim), a tubeless tyre bead must be forced to stick to the rim as there initially is a gap between the tyre bead and the rim, making the air escape if you use a regular bike pump.

Therefore, a big quantity of a gas has to be rapidly introduced into the tyre, so its momentum forces the bead cling onto the rim. It is like "shooting" the tyre onto the rim.

Usually, a car compressor with a Presta adapter is used for the "shooting". Or, a bike CO2 cartridge could be used for the purpose.

If you used neither but succeeded Randall then count yourself lucky!

Last edited:
It is not what I said. Unlike the tubed tyre (where the tube makes the tyre bead clinch onto the rim), a tubeless tyre bead must be forced to stick to the rim as there initially is a gap between the tyre bead and the rim, making the air escape if you use a regular bike pump.

Therefore, a big quantity of a gas has to be rapidly introduced into the tyre, so its momentum forces the bead cling onto the rim. It is like "shooting" the tyre onto the rim.

Usually, a car compressor with a Presta adapter is used for the "shooting". Or, a bike CO2 cartridge could be used for the purpose.

If you used neither but succeeded Randall then count yourself lucky!
Compressor with presta adaptor plus soapy water to help the bead set. Easy.

Q: HOW MANY CYCLISTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A TIRE?​

A: I DON’T KNOW, BUT WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT I WOULD NEVER RIDE THAT (SPECIFIC) TIRE BECAUSE THE SIDEWALL ISN’T SUPPLE ENOUGH, THE TREAD PATTERN IS ALL WRONG, IT IS WAY TOO HEAVY, IT DOESN’T COME IN A 650 X 47, IT IS SLUGGISH ON PAVEMENT AND THEY ARE COMPLETELY OVERPRICED.​

maxresdefault-4.jpg

Butter side DOWN! / Tubeless!

Back