Trying Specialized Delivery

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
Let us see how the Specialized Delivery really works.
Just ordered a pair of new Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo tyres from the Polish website. The tyres are to be delivered to Specialized Warsaw for the pick-up. I intend to order the tyre replacement there and I hope the store would earn their 25% commission.

The store does not have Electraks in stock. They only carry MTB, road, gravel, and some generic tyres but not the ones type-approved for a 45 km/h S-Pedelec.

I have noticed my Smart Sam 47-622 have been ridden for 7,000 km. No noticeable sign of wear, and the tyres work very well in mixed terrain. I, however, liked Electraks for their low rolling resistance and excellent grip on the pavement even under wet & cold conditions.

Last edited:
Let us see how the Specialized Delivery really works.
Just ordered a pair of new Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo tyres from the Polish website. The tyres are to be delivered to Specialized Warsaw for the pick-up. I intend to order the tyre replacement there and I hope the store would earn their 25% commission.

The store does not have Electraks in stock. They only carry MTB, road, gravel, and some generic tyres but not the ones type-approved for a 45 km/h S-Pedelec.

I have noticed my Smart Sam 47-622 have been ridden for 7,000 km. No noticeable sign of wear, and the tyres work very well in mixed terrain. I, however, liked Electraks for their low rolling resistance and excellent grip on the pavement even under wet & cold conditions.
It will be interesting to see how this goes, since this is all new and strange to Specialized.

In the past few months I've ordered from Specialized for delivery to my lbs to avoid having a few expensive items sitting on my porch. I don't know if the shop got any money for accepting delivery.

Just for your information: Tyres are awaiting for the pick-up at Specialized Warsaw store.

A follow-up:

I collected the tyres at the time convenient for me. I asked the LBS to wash my Vado, check for possible mechanic issues (none) and replace the tyres. That way, the LBS earned more than just for the "Specialized Delivery".

However, there are items you cannot order online, such as batteries. I have just got a call from the LBS a batch of SL Range Extenders arrived! Yay!

A follow-up:

I collected the tyres at the time convenient for me. I asked the LBS to wash my Vado, check for possible mechanic issues (none) and replace the tyres. That way, the LBS earned more than just for the "Specialized Delivery".

However, there are items you cannot order online, such as batteries. I have just got a call from the LBS a batch of SL Range Extenders arrived! Yay!
So your LBS is a company owned store, right ? Anyone have knowledge of how the franchise stores are doing with the ship to store?

So, yesterday I got this:
A GREAT RIDE IS ON ITS WAY!
Just letting you know that we've shipped your order!
So I ordered another one for my wife.
She got an e-mail today.
A GREAT RIDE IS ON ITS WAY!
Just letting you know that we've shipped your order!
Should be ready next week.

Seems like US website showed a lot of increased inventory on Spec's website this past weekend. Was able to order a Tero 5.0. Home delivery isn't an available option in SF Bay area, tho I know if I contact Specialized bay area directly they could probably arrange it. Instead I decided to have delivered to my local "tier 2" specialized shop so they at least get a partial sale.

There were probably >25 choices for store delivery within 30 miles. So possibly Specialized isn't enabling home delivery on the website so that web site orders will give the LBS at least some business. But specialized is still gaining addditional profit cutting out 50% of the dealer margin by doing it this way instead of allocating bikes directly to any of the LBS's. This extra 50% appears to be pure profit for Specialized since whether the bike is allocated or drop shipped thru the website - the dealer is still responsible for assembly and Specialized has done nothing extra to earn that extra 50% - aside from making the bike available on the website.

Nub: If I can read the information correctly, the "Specialized Home Delivery" via an LBS gives them as much as 75% of the usual earning.
How do you interpret that?

Nub: If I can read the information correctly, the "Specialized Home Delivery" via an LBS gives them as much as 75% of the usual earning.
How do you interpret that?
That's the way I read it also. But as I noted, home delivery shows no available dealers in my area. I suspect an LBS needs to be both qualified and willing to be listed as a home delivery option. I also suspect that the additional 25% margin is not worth it for the LBS.

1 AFAIK Specialized doesn't "floorplan finance" their dealerships.
2 they require the dealership sell at full price guarantee
25 per cent loss of commission should be similar value to a 25% interest rate financing.

Back