TREK Powerfly 5 mounting points on underside of seat stays?

Telkwa

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount a Topeak rack to a TREK Powerfly 5. On the seat stays there are a pair of threaded mount points. They're welded into the seat stays a few inches below and behind the seat.

If these mount points faced outward it would make sense for a rack. But the mount points face downward. Hopefully the image that I attempted to attach will show up.

Does anyone know the intent behind these downward facing mount points? I mean, a person could put sharp bends into the ends of the rack straps and bolt into these mount points. But it seems to me that will create a situation where gravity and jolting forces keep trying to pull the screws out and bend the rack straps.

There are options. At least one would be to swap the OEM seatpost clamp with one that includes two rack mount points. But I'd like to learn more about TREK's intention with these two mount points.

Attachments

• IMG_4849.JPG
    IMG_4849.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 464
I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount a Topeak rack to a TREK Powerfly 5. On the seat stays there are a pair of threaded mount points. They're welded into the seat stays a few inches below and behind the seat.

If these mount points faced outward it would make sense for a rack. But the mount points face downward. Hopefully the image that I attempted to attach will show up.

Does anyone know the intent behind these downward facing mount points? I mean, a person could put sharp bends into the ends of the rack straps and bolt into these mount points. But it seems to me that will create a situation where gravity and jolting forces keep trying to pull the screws out and bend the rack straps.

There are options. At least one would be to swap the OEM seatpost clamp with one that includes two rack mount points. But I'd like to learn more about TREK's intention with these two mount points.

They are often used to mount cafe locks. Like this...

0sIfr.jpg

Thanks, Ravi -
50 years ago my bike was always with me and I knew every part.

Then for years bikes were not a big part of my life.

Nowadays my new bike is a mystery.

My Powerfly 5 came with a bracket that connects the two bolts. Trek says it is a mount for a fender.

Attachments

• IMG_8351.jpg
    IMG_8351.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 487
Back