Trek ebike Customer Experience

Used to live in, and ride in, DC. Great biking city, as long as you ignore Rock Creek Park! Lived in NW DC. Rode Conn ave downtown all the time.
Yeah - I am down in Capitol Hill close to Navy Yard and Eastern Market so not as crazy as parts of NW (U street, Chinatown, etc).

Although I did once hit a car on my bike (I got cut off by another car and swerved into the back of one at a light) and almost run over by Marion Barry (RIP). Separate events but about a block away from each other in the Navy Yard area.

I had a horrible experience at a Specialized dealer in Pittsburgh while trying to buy stuff they did have. NOT going back there.
Trek on the other hand sold me lots.

I was similarly disappointed in the Trek documentation received with my Allant+ 7s — specifically re: fork adjustments. I have 3 Trek ebikes - 1 from Trek store, 2 from dealer.
My brother works at the Waterloo plant and is in charge of all documentation for all Trek bikes, leading me to have several conversations with him re: this subject. The current company line is to not provide documentation for non-Trek components, although that position is arguable re: Bosch, etc. components.
From these discussions, and from similar concerns from other Trek customers, my bro informs me that Trek is going through a significant internal ramp-up of technical knowledge across the board — with more expansive attention to ebikes.
The Trek tech support line is still the best, but although the Trek store personnel are terrific people, I find my local dealer to have a much better depth and breadth of knowledge from their exposure to a wider selection of ebikes. As a final note: my dealer (multiple large stores) is realigning their selection of bikes to carry Bosch-only given their experience of much higher levels of reliability and durability vs. other motor brands.

I was similarly disappointed in the Trek documentation received with my Allant+ 7s — specifically re: fork adjustments. I have 3 Trek ebikes - 1 from Trek store, 2 from dealer.
My brother works at the Waterloo plant and is in charge of all documentation for all Trek bikes, leading me to have several conversations with him re: this subject. The current company line is to not provide documentation for non-Trek components, although that position is arguable re: Bosch, etc. components.
From these discussions, and from similar concerns from other Trek customers, my bro informs me that Trek is going through a significant internal ramp-up of technical knowledge across the board — with more expansive attention to ebikes.
The Trek tech support line is still the best, but although the Trek store personnel are terrific people, I find my local dealer to have a much better depth and breadth of knowledge from their exposure to a wider selection of ebikes. As a final note: my dealer (multiple large stores) is realigning their selection of bikes to carry Bosch-only given their experience of much higher levels of reliability and durability vs. other motor brands.
Thanks for sharing this - it is genuinely good to know they are getting the feedback and trying to address. Even if they had documentation that was limited in what they gave you in printed form, but were able to provide information online, that would be helpful. Or maybe even videos that would walk you through some of the features and how to adjust products.

Re: Bosch - I saw that Propel Bikes (visited by Curt on one of his videos) went exclusively Bosch due to the reasons you stated (maybe this is the dealer you were referring to?) and that was one of the things that made me go with the Trek.

the ongoing rate for an ebike mech. is 35$ and that's the low pay. A good tech. can easily make 75$-95$/hr using those skill sets working in a similar field (not for a bike shop b/c they will never pay higher then maybe 45$/hr.
Shocker, guess I´m still in another century. Don´t tell the bike mechanics here, they´re still in another
century too. Itś no wonder that I do all my own repairs. Got offers to work in seattle, but I am retired
& wouldn´t live in Seattle for $200 an hour.

Back