Trek Domane +HP 2021

I am in love with my HP. I was told two different stories about the HP by two different Trek dealers. One dealer said they are coming out with a replacement bike later this year. Not sure how accurate that is and then I had a dealer out of my area who is a Trek corporate store I believe say that they are so short on parts for the bike they pulled it for the time being.

Domane+ for the win!

Recently I rode in the 40 mile "Tour De Summerlin" which is a scenic ride (technically not a race) around the upper class neighborhood Summerlin, on the outskirts of Las Vegas. I had plotted out the ride and imported it into my Nyon, so I could see the altitude map and anticipate the hills. I also programmed in a custom mode (90% assist) that was a little less assist than tour (120% assist). I knew this mode would provide more than 40 miles of continuous assistance if the weather was super windy or hot. At the starting line there was an impressive variety of expensive bike because this was an upper class neighborhood, and everyone showed up in their best kit. Super Italian bikes and time trial bikes were plentiful. We started the race and I used eco to warm up and keep up with the crowd then turned off the power when drafting and going down hills. Some time later I showed up at the first check station and to my amazement they told me I was first. I'm 53 and 225 lbs, and while I'm a strong rider, I'm certainly no match for the 'crushers' out there who are half my weight and ride like the wind.

So I decided to turn my leisurely tour into a performance ride, still confident that there were packs of super power riders too far ahead of me to see. I bumped it up to mode 2 (almost tour) and paced it out. Strangely, I won the Tour by several minutes, despite getting lost for about 5 minutes (stupid Nyon maps). This was a total and utter surprise. The guy who came in second had some sort of Fazua system, but clearly didn't have a chance against the Bosch, because he was exhausted and panting hard.

Again, I credit the bike, not me as a rider for the strong win. And of course, its quite unfair to ride a Domane+ against analog bikes and claim any skill. But I will emphasize that I really expected a batch of high power riders, drafting in a tight pack on TT bikes to easily leave me behind.

Like Tesla owners will tell you, in the end, light weight and aerodynamics are no match against raw torque.

Bosch and Trek better be dreaming up something big, because they have so much untapped potential!

Just back from the Trek store. After a year, I decided to check out how the IsoSpeed worked. Quickly discovered that the screw under the top tube was missing. Just had a tune up last month and it was an issue either the mechanic missed or the screw fell out afterwards. The shop replaced the screw then the head mechanic came into work and noticed the front IsoSpeed screws were loose. He could tell by how the removable "cowl" where the top tube meets the head tube was sitting non-flush. This indicated the screws underneath had loosened. Sure enough, he removed the cowl and both screws needed tightening. So, heads up. Your LBS mechanics may not know about maintaining IsoSpeed. Mechanics at the Trek store totally missed it until the head guy took a look.

Are you a believer in isospeed? My Domane+ is definitely more comfortable (supple?) frame than my cannonade, but is that due to the more relaxed geometry, softer carbon fiber construction, or just the fact that at 225 lbs I am approaching the weight limit of the bike which is flexing under my embarrassing bulk?

Well I think the rear Iso Speed works but I have mine set at the firmest setting because it creaked on the softer settings. The front ISO speed not sure how much it benefits.

I'm about at the softest setting, which was how it came. Ride has been comfortable so left it alone. I'm about 140 lbs, though. Seems I've dropped about 15 pounds in the last couple of years. Retirement and biking a few times a week have been good for physical and psychological health. I think the relaxed geometry is the key for me.

interestingly the newest trek has dropped the isospeed for a strange diamond shaped hole under the seat. Probably to save weight, as I doubt the turbulent air that far back in the bike would have any aero advantage. I'll keep my Domane+ for a while, especially as all of the Bosch Domane bikes seemed to have disappeared from the Trek website :eek::eek:

interestingly the newest trek has dropped the isospeed for a strange diamond shaped hole under the seat. Probably to save weight, as I doubt the turbulent air that far back in the bike would have any aero advantage. I'll keep my Domane+ for a while, especially as all of the Bosch Domane bikes seemed to have disappeared from the Trek website :eek::eek:
Totally agree. I am holding on to mine like it is gold

Fwiw, guy at Trek store said they didn't have the parts to make the HP right now but they would be back eventually.

I was vacationing in Bozeman Montana and walked into a store called Bangtail Bikes. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was a 54" and a 58" Trek Domane+ HP for sale, new. So as of June 16, 2022 there are still a few out in the wild for sale. Short of calling every bike shop in the country I'm not sure how anyone would find these. I have no idea if they would ship them, but I also expect it doesn't benefit them to hold inventory of a bike that isn't a current Trek model.

Wow were they the grey? I found a purple flip in a 56 in Pennsylvania a couple months ago and almost bought it but they wouldn't ship it and that is a like a 700 mile drive for me. I have the flat grey but really wanted the purple. It is sold now.

Wow were they the grey? I found a purple flip in a 56 in Pennsylvania a couple months ago and almost bought it but they wouldn't ship it and that is a like a 700 mile drive for me. I have the flat grey but really wanted the purple. It is sold now.
Yes, Grey.

Back