Trek Domane +HP 2021

Just updated my Nyon which now includes several new features including a) updated maps (to about 9 months ago), b) a new total screen that shows elevation of your entire ride, and c) a weather screen that gives you hour by hour weather when synced to your phone, d) charge information about your cell phone that's with you, and e) improved way point management within maps. There were a host of other bug fixes and enhancements which I didn't read carefully enough to remember. The Nyon only works with Bosch motors and is only on the higher end bikes, so I don't know how many total units are out there, but probably not many. So, I'd like to thank Bosch for its ongoing updates and efforts to keep its purchasers happy and relevant. Overall, I think the Nyon is excellent in terms of size, readability, visibility and it excels at the amount of information that is available to the rider on seemingly endless user customizable screens. Well done. I just hope that Trek realizes how good the Bosch system is overall and improves its availability.

Just updated my Nyon which now includes several new features including a) updated maps (to about 9 months ago), b) a new total screen that shows elevation of your entire ride, and c) a weather screen that gives you hour by hour weather when synced to your phone, d) charge information about your cell phone that's with you, and e) improved way point management within maps. There were a host of other bug fixes and enhancements which I didn't read carefully enough to remember. The Nyon only works with Bosch motors and is only on the higher end bikes, so I don't know how many total units are out there, but probably not many. So, I'd like to thank Bosch for its ongoing updates and efforts to keep its purchasers happy and relevant. Overall, I think the Nyon is excellent in terms of size, readability, visibility and it excels at the amount of information that is available to the rider on seemingly endless user customizable screens. Well done. I just hope that Trek realizes how good the Bosch system is overall and improves its availability.
I got the same update. I haven't gotten to play around with it yet. I echo your appreciation of the OTA updates.

Creo 'expert' owner here....

I totally appreciate many aspects about the Domane+ HP 7. I havnt ridden it but done much reading and it seems like a very well rounded versatile bike. I have a little fascination over the HP...seems to me a few 'Trek' posters feel the same about the Creo...ha. It really does come down to a preference/need though. I live around a lot of flats in Arizona and the few Hills that are in my area are small...small enough that my Creo can handle. But if I were a bit older (I'm 53) and lived around bigger hills I'd totally be on board with this HP 7. I just like the natural feel and the workouts I get with the Creo. But I also like running my light battery separately from the bike battery as I use very high powered lights. HP has a much bigger battery so I guess that's not a concern to you guys 😉

Creo 'expert' owner here....

I totally appreciate many aspects about the Domane+ HP 7. I havnt ridden it but done much reading and it seems like a very well rounded versatile bike. I have a little fascination over the HP...seems to me a few 'Trek' posters feel the same about the Creo...ha. It really does come down to a preference/need though. I live around a lot of flats in Arizona and the few Hills that are in my area are small...small enough that my Creo can handle. But if I were a bit older (I'm 53) and lived around bigger hills I'd totally be on board with this HP 7. I just like the natural feel and the workouts I get with the Creo. But I also like running my light battery separately from the bike battery as I use very high powered lights. HP has a much bigger battery so I guess that's not a concern to you guys 😉
I have a Trek Allant 9.9S that comes with the same Bontrager light as the one used on the HP7. That Trek light is plenty bright and has high and low beam but burns too much of the battery.
It is a terrible light that gets too hot to touch, uses way too much battery and the light sensor activated daytime mode only works on cloudless days, IF the sun is shining directly from straight behind on the rear light where the sensor is located. The bike is fantastic in every other respect but the light is crap.

It uses about 10% of the battery, which I find totally unacceptable. I use a Knog PWR Mountain 2,000 lumen, programable, rechargeable headlight that also has a 10,000 mAh battery and functions as a recharger for any device. They also make smaller, less powerful models including the Trail which is 1,000 lumens with a 5,000 mWh battery. This is the light I use on my Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3, a drop bar gravel bike right in the same wheelhouse as the Creo but with the same motor and battery as the HP7. I am 70 and live in a very hilly area.

That is the knog PWR below the handlebar to the left of the headset and Nyon display in the photo below.

20200712_074304 (1) - Copy.jpg

Last Sunday I made the purchase of the Domane +HP as I wanted to pick up a e-road bike. I did try for a few days a Creo SL which was a nice bike but suffice to say it wasn't for me for several reasons. The moment I rode the Domane I could instantly feel how this bike differs from many others and why it makes sense for my intended usage. For those who are interested in this bike as there is almost nothing out there about it to read about, here goes some thoughts after riding it now for some 250 miles in less than 6 days.

The weight: yes it has a pedal assist motor and 500 watt hour battery there is wt involved and certainly not as light as a Creo (in comparison), however the weight distribution does feels better and the bike is certainly more planted. I often will pedal with the assist motor off or in eco mode (flats or down hills) and the rolling weight difference is really not an issue. With the Domane, I feel there better control of the bike and perhaps its because of the weight and the frame angles utilized - this is controversial for sure but without doing the science, Im attributing however incorrectly this to distributive forces of me on bike, bike on ground and ground reaction forces.

Pedal Assist Drive: This is the bosch Gen 4 speed performance device and works well. I also have an EMTB that is obviously tuned to higher initial torque and I tell you this because of the expectations of off the line torque coming from that ride to this one is completely different. This bike is made for sustained and higher road speeds, I have found that it is best from a standing start to run through your gears to pick up speed. This particular motor is tuned appropriately for its application but relying on the bike to instantly zoom you from zero to 15 miles an hour as you start out from a stop in a higher gear like a high torque EMTB can, you will have to change your thinking. Don't misunderstand the pedal assist is there, its just not a torquey jolt.

On hills the motor can provide you with all types of assist and you can vary your input to achieve the goal of the climb your looking for. Should you want to train the legs for more strength eco and touring, should you want to attempt a KOM than sport or turbo. What I really enjoy about this pedal assist drive over that of say the Creo SL or the Vado Sl (which I test rode for a few miles) is the ability to have these choices in assist level. Not to disparage the Specialized, its just bikes I some have experience with, the flexibility of the greater power in the assist drive is a greater benefit than the weight difference. The Domane can easily attain its 28 mph limit and help you to sustain in and around this range even in very hilly terrain, which is where I live.

The motor responds well to your input and doesn't surge your forward in anyway. As you apply torque you can feel a little extra push and when you stop it stops. When riding you really don't notice anything different than if you just rode an analogue bike, except your going faster or your not grinding out that hill in front of you (should you choose do that you can)

Battery life: Yes of my main concerns. I regularly ride 30 plus miles, pretty much daily. This is where this bike certainly shines. As an example 30 mile ride with 1722 feet of elevation change and 1 hour 32 min on the road, I returned home with about approximately 50% power. I rode the bike with intention maximizing the use of power but not throttling myself to the point of why did I buy an ebike in the first place. To use the power when I need it and not use it when I don't; at the end of this ride the data demonstrated an approximately 50/50 relationship between motor assist and myself as input with the the average speed is around 21 MPH.

Battery life trade offs are of course human input to electric assist, the more assist the less battery life. If you want to run on Turbo or Sport you will certainly increase your average speed and you will watch the battery drain quickly which is expected, but you'll get there quicker so for a commute this can be very effective. I have yet to try a full on turbo ride, I may do this for a calculation on percentage drain per minute - just for fun. Suffice to say, Bosch has battery estimator and it seems pretty much in the ballpark of what I am getting. I am also not a heavy rider about 158-160 lbs so the bike and me are under 200 lbs.

As an aside and In comparison to the Creo SL EVO that I had, I was able to get 33 miles before battery emptied and that was working with it in its eco and middle modes, not on turbo. To add a secondary battery it would be an additional 500 dollars, plus cable cost and water bottle holder cost. This add on option would bring the watt hours up to approximately equal with the Trek however with the Domane you can add on an additional 500 watt hours. I would presume that based on my initial findings the Creo would achieve near that same range as the Trek (with its single battery), but still would come up short by a few miles with the additional watt hours.

Bike Fit and Finish - yes this is high quality performance bike. Yes its been to the shop a couple of times now. A firmware update to the bike was done at the time of purchase and it did mess up the function of the lighting package and it needs to be sorted out. I am also having issues when I go over a bump heavily, the bike shuts off. I took the bike in last evening and it seems that battery alignment may be off and they need to adjust this. Finally off the showroom floor and onto the street, the rear derailleur was not adjusted correctly and the chain was slipping. I was able to perform an adjustment which by enlarge fixed the problem. The shop at the same time as fixing the lighting /software issue, also performed some adjustments to fix the chain slippage. I am happy about the service they provided but underwhelmed that the high dollar bike would be allowed to leave the shop without a full inspection to ensure everything was in top flight running order. Frame, Brakes and everything else is nice. If you want to get super OCD, the very bright front light has to cables that run in front of it, not centrally but to the sides... its not a practical issue just annoying as you would think it could be better.

The integrated lighting package is excellent btw and its absolutely necessary. In my Creo experience (again not to bash in anyway) I would have had to add on this feature.

Ride quality: Yes this bike is fantastic for ride quality. There is very low motor noise, of course its there but its not going to bother you should you desire total silence you can turn this feature off LOL, Road noise in minimal. Riding is fantastic as the bike / seat soaks up road vibration very well. No issues with wrists getting fatigued or hands becoming numb. Its a very comfortable experience. The bike also seems fast. In that just peddling the bike you achieve and maintain speed quickly.

Controller: I do very much like the layout overall the buttons are big an on the left hand side but I wish they had the ability to back light to see them at night. I also feel that perhaps a switch for power settings could be incorporated into the drop bar behind the brake which would make switching a whole lot better. Of course Bosch doesn't make the brake levers and Shimano doesn't make switches for Bosch .... so yeah aint gonna happen. Given the parameters of the bike, the controller does what is supposed to do, yes it could be more efficient. PS the walk button is activated but is placed in an impractical place to really access, unlike on my EMTB the walk function is easily activation and utilized. To be fair your in all likelihood never going to use this functionality and if you have to walk, its a pretty light bike anyway but it should have been better thought out to begin with.

Overall: TLDR. So far I am liking this bike a lot, I am not a "roadie" per say, I generally ride the trails. Its fundamentally a bike you have to learn. A ride or two will determine if it fits you well in terms of comfort and purpose, You then have to learn how to perform with this bike. Its forgiving in that you have the power when you want or need it but you still to pay attention to road and shift in accordance with terrain + cadence to get the most out of it. Test rides in parking lots on flats are helpful but this bike offers a lot of performance which you can't appreciate until you put some seat time in and that's hard decision to make when these bikes are ahemmm ... not cheap
I just ran across your review here of the Domane+ HP. I must have bought my 2021 Domane+ HP about the same time. I have always been a Trek fan and own three acoustic Treks that I have ridden. I ride between 800 and 1500 miles each year mostly on roads and some Rails to Trails. I also tried out Giant, Cannondale and Specialized as well as Trek e-bikes when I started shopping. Many things motivated that but top of list was the fact that I was about to spend $5-10k on a bike and I wanted a reputable brand (vs. the onslaught of me-too Chinese e-bikes flooding the market) and I wanted a brick and mortar shop to go to when my skills were exceeded.

I would echo every word you have said about the stability and strength of the +HP. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs so I need a substantial bike. That brings me to my current purchase. I am also 70 and retired now, so it is probably my last bike (wink-wink), so I decided to open the budget for it and get an ebike. That would help me level the hills out a bit but still allow me to get exercise. I had previously purchased an ebike for my wife, so I knew a little bit about them but the real e-bike craze had not yet hit so the choices were slim. I bought her a Class 2 hub motor ebike with an external battery that she calls her “cloud” and she loves riding it. I spent $2500 for that. I researched what size I would need at my current weight and height and inseam measurement – I would need a 56-58cm (or L or XL).

Then I researched available e-bikes. I wanted an ebike that did not look like an ebike, had a strong mid-mounted motor (versus a rear hub motor) and a battery that was integrated with the frame (versus external) and would last most of my longer rides (50-70 miles). I also wanted down bars like my original road bike and wanted the bike to be as light weight as possible (hard for an e-bike) and have disc brakes and a good gearing range and the ability to do gravel if needed. E-bikes come in 3 classes. Class 1 bikes have a max assisted speed of 20 mph but have no throttle. It assists based on monitoring your cadence. Class 2 also has a max assisted speed of 20 mph but also adds a throttle which is good for infrequent riders who have a hard time getting the bike started. Class 3 has a 28 mph assist speed and no throttle. All make you work; you still get great exercise, but you will just be able to go further than on an acoustic bike.

I opted for class 3. I settled in on several brands. Specialized, Trek, Giant, and Cannondale. There were others but they were mostly crowd funded or obscure foreign brands. These were all brands I knew I could go to local shops and test drive. As I have said, I am brand loyal to Trek, but researching online I fell in love with the new Specialized ebike the Turbo Creo SL Comp E5. It was $5000 and at the top of my budget but it was sexy, did not look like an ebike and had some cool tech in it with a new German built motor. I also looked at the Cannondale Super Six EVO Neo 3 which came in at $4500. Giant had one at $4500. The Road E+ Pro sported a Yamaha built motor that was well tested.

Finally, I had been looking at an acoustic bike upgrade for a couple of years to a Trek Domane carbon bike and noticed that they had an ebike version called the Domane+ that ranged from $5300 to $7500 depending on features. Above my budget but I put it on my list because I have other Trek bikes and love them. I then went about finding the bikes nearby so I could test drive them all plus I rode some that I didn’t think of. I found the Creo underpowered in comparison although light-weight, the Giant and Cannondale heavy so I settled in on a 58cm Trek Domane+ HP all carbon bike with a Bosch Class 3 mid-mounted motor, 100-mile range with a 500-w integrated battery and capacity to add a range extender battery for another 50 miles.

It is fit with an 8-speed Shimano GRX setup and it has wider gravel ready tires but is mostly a road bike. It weighs only about 36 lbs. so noticeably light for an ebike. It has integrated suspension in both the front fork and seat post. An integrated front and rear light system and onboard computer make it fun to track my rides. I spent $7000 for it and bought it online direct from the manufacturer and had it sent to the local Trek dealer to assemble, adjust, and deliver it to me for free. I got it in a week and was riding. The dealer threw in some free items and I have someone to take it to for service now. Since I got it home I have added a special axle that allows me to pull a trailer with my dog in it, clip-in pedals so I can get that advantage and a back rack that I can put a trunk on to carry provisions for long rides and paniers if necessary.

The one thing I have found troublesome about the proprietary nature of a bike like this is the fact that changing anything is often a bit of a challenge. I changed the seat-post to make the geometry a better fit for my frame. That was $250 but was an easy and effective swap. I found recently that a switch to different brake disks wouldn't work as the speed sensor is imbedded in the real disk. I have also been looking to replace the saddle to a Selle SMP+ but the integrated rear light (which is great) connects to the back of the Bontrager saddle and there seems to be no choices here. I have also had a problem with the kickstand rubber piece falling apart that I had to find my own solution to repair.

I would be interested if anyone has located a source for upgrades on this bike. Again, thanks for the review it was spot-on.

Attachments

• 20201023_145119.jpg
    20201023_145119.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 20201217_070425.jpg
    20201217_070425.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 116428313_10220749446919139_8166268545397097794_o.jpg
    116428313_10220749446919139_8166268545397097794_o.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 187
  • cockpit labeled.jpg
    cockpit labeled.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 20210903_105615.jpg
    20210903_105615.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 191
Great write up. I have a Domane HP and except for a few minor issues I love it and it has been trouble free. I put just under 1600 miles on it in the last year and really have never been happier with a bike. I have just in the last couple of months bought a new Yeti 160E with the Shimano motor. Beautiful bike and very pricey but honestly I don't like the motor as well as the Bosch. I wish I would have bought a Trek MTB with a Bosch motor. Thanks for your thoughts.

I just ran across your review here of the Domane+ HP. I must have bought my 2021 Domane+ HP about the same time. I have always been a Trek fan and own three acoustic Treks that I have ridden. I ride between 800 and 1500 miles each year mostly on roads and some Rails to Trails. I also tried out Giant, Cannondale and Specialized as well as Trek e-bikes when I started shopping. Many things motivated that but top of list was the fact that I was about to spend $5-10k on a bike and I wanted a reputable brand (vs. the onslaught of me-too Chinese e-bikes flooding the market) and I wanted a brick and mortar shop to go to when my skills were exceeded.

I would echo every word you have said about the stability and strength of the +HP. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs so I need a substantial bike. That brings me to my current purchase. I am also 70 and retired now, so it is probably my last bike (wink-wink), so I decided to open the budget for it and get an ebike. That would help me level the hills out a bit but still allow me to get exercise. I had previously purchased an ebike for my wife, so I knew a little bit about them but the real e-bike craze had not yet hit so the choices were slim. I bought her a Class 2 hub motor ebike with an external battery that she calls her “cloud” and she loves riding it. I spent $2500 for that. I researched what size I would need at my current weight and height and inseam measurement – I would need a 56-58cm (or L or XL).

Then I researched available e-bikes. I wanted an ebike that did not look like an ebike, had a strong mid-mounted motor (versus a rear hub motor) and a battery that was integrated with the frame (versus external) and would last most of my longer rides (50-70 miles). I also wanted down bars like my original road bike and wanted the bike to be as light weight as possible (hard for an e-bike) and have disc brakes and a good gearing range and the ability to do gravel if needed. E-bikes come in 3 classes. Class 1 bikes have a max assisted speed of 20 mph but have no throttle. It assists based on monitoring your cadence. Class 2 also has a max assisted speed of 20 mph but also adds a throttle which is good for infrequent riders who have a hard time getting the bike started. Class 3 has a 28 mph assist speed and no throttle. All make you work; you still get great exercise, but you will just be able to go further than on an acoustic bike.

I opted for class 3. I settled in on several brands. Specialized, Trek, Giant, and Cannondale. There were others but they were mostly crowd funded or obscure foreign brands. These were all brands I knew I could go to local shops and test drive. As I have said, I am brand loyal to Trek, but researching online I fell in love with the new Specialized ebike the Turbo Creo SL Comp E5. It was $5000 and at the top of my budget but it was sexy, did not look like an ebike and had some cool tech in it with a new German built motor. I also looked at the Cannondale Super Six EVO Neo 3 which came in at $4500. Giant had one at $4500. The Road E+ Pro sported a Yamaha built motor that was well tested.

Finally, I had been looking at an acoustic bike upgrade for a couple of years to a Trek Domane carbon bike and noticed that they had an ebike version called the Domane+ that ranged from $5300 to $7500 depending on features. Above my budget but I put it on my list because I have other Trek bikes and love them. I then went about finding the bikes nearby so I could test drive them all plus I rode some that I didn’t think of. I found the Creo underpowered in comparison although light-weight, the Giant and Cannondale heavy so I settled in on a 58cm Trek Domane+ HP all carbon bike with a Bosch Class 3 mid-mounted motor, 100-mile range with a 500-w integrated battery and capacity to add a range extender battery for another 50 miles.

It is fit with an 8-speed Shimano GRX setup and it has wider gravel ready tires but is mostly a road bike. It weighs only about 36 lbs. so noticeably light for an ebike. It has integrated suspension in both the front fork and seat post. An integrated front and rear light system and onboard computer make it fun to track my rides. I spent $7000 for it and bought it online direct from the manufacturer and had it sent to the local Trek dealer to assemble, adjust, and deliver it to me for free. I got it in a week and was riding. The dealer threw in some free items and I have someone to take it to for service now. Since I got it home I have added a special axle that allows me to pull a trailer with my dog in it, clip-in pedals so I can get that advantage and a back rack that I can put a trunk on to carry provisions for long rides and paniers if necessary.

The one thing I have found troublesome about the proprietary nature of a bike like this is the fact that changing anything is often a bit of a challenge. I changed the seat-post to make the geometry a better fit for my frame. That was $250 but was an easy and effective swap. I found recently that a switch to different brake disks wouldn't work as the speed sensor is imbedded in the real disk. I have also been looking to replace the saddle to a Selle SMP+ but the integrated rear light (which is great) connects to the back of the Bontrager saddle and there seems to be no choices here. I have also had a problem with the kickstand rubber piece falling apart that I had to find my own solution to repair.

I would be interested if anyone has located a source for upgrades on this bike. Again, thanks for the review it was spot-on.
Upgrade the Kiox to the Nyon if you are going long distance and new area! The GPS function can't be beat if you do not get phone reception in some areas! I am also having the Bontrager Aeolus 3v wheels put on! Where did you buy the item to hook your trailer up??? How does it handle with your bike? Have a old burley trailer I would like to convert for bike packing. Can you share the link?

First of all Mick: Congratulations for getting your excellent e-bike! Many happy miles!
Trek Domane+ HP all carbon bike with a Bosch Class 3 mid-mounted motor, 100-mile range with a 500-w integrated battery
Question of curiosity: Have you been already able to verify the real battery range of the Domane+ HP? You are probably a fit rider (I am not). It took over 1000 Wh from my batteries to make 100 miles on another type of e-bike. I was considering a purchase of a 500 Wh, Bosch powered road/gravel e-bike but decided I would not ride far on it, especially at speeds expected from a road bike...

First of all Mick: Congratulations for getting your excellent e-bike! Many happy miles!

Question of curiosity: Have you been already able to verify the real battery range of the Domane+ HP? You are probably a fit rider (I am not). It took over 1000 Wh from my batteries to make 100 miles on another type of e-bike. I was considering a purchase of a 500 Wh, Bosch powered road/gravel e-bike but decided I would not ride far on it, especially at speeds expected from a road bike...
I seriously doubt anyone gets 100 miles on the Domane+ unless they are mostly going downhill and they turn off their motor almost haf the time! This is still almost a 40 pound bike with a motor that offers the smallest mile range

On a super hilly gravel ride using mostly eco and tour mode, I got 70 miles out of the 500Wh battery, and that was on the older Bosch motor on the first generation Domane+.

I have a first generation Domane+. In my real world testing, A 500 Wh battery will give me (dragging my fat 220 lb ass over mild to moderate hills) 65 miles of CONTINUOUS assist in ecco, and 45 miles of CONTINUOUS assist in tour. In practice, on a full battery, I get FOUR rides, each about 30 miles, utilizing 50% ecco, 5% tour, and 50% off. This is basically the same thing: 60 miles of assist out of 120 total miles, using about 50% battery assist in ecco.

On a related note, the only competition to the Domane+ is the Specialized Creo, which is 10 lbs less and only has a 250 Wh battery. I have encouraged Bosch repeatedly to make an OPTIONAL 250 Wh battery for the following reasons: A) Direct competition to the Creo for riders who refuse to ride a 37 lb Domane, B) I never use more than 50% of my battery in a single ride, so I am essentially carrying around half an unused battery in excess weight, c) as a second backup battery on your bike, the additional weight and distance of a second 500Wh battery means that you are now carrying 20 lbs of battery, for a total of 1000Wh, and 240 miles of ecco range at 50% usage. That's probably overkill for almost anyone.

Anyone with me?

(P.S. for those who ride long tours, the Bosch 625 Wh battery gives you 25% more distance and only weighs 1.5 lbs more than the 500, and fits into the Domane+)

I ride 90% of the time in Eco with some Touring thrown in for short bursts or a hill or two. Most of my riding is rolling. My 2021 Domane HP is a consistent 70 mile range on a charge. I am 169 lbs and ride and average of 18-19 mph ..

220 lbs and did a century last SEP on my 2019 Domane+ with > 6,000 feet of climbing. Had almost 20% left when I was done. I went pretty slow and did no assist whenever possible during the 1st 50 miles. Loosened up a bit after that given my projections. I was admittedly on a very good day for some reason. Really enjoyed it. Everything has to align.

I have a first generation Domane+. In my real world testing, A 500 Wh battery will give me (dragging my fat 220 lb ass over mild to moderate hills) 65 miles of CONTINUOUS assist in ecco, and 45 miles of CONTINUOUS assist in tour. In practice, on a full battery, I get FOUR rides, each about 30 miles, utilizing 50% ecco, 5% tour, and 50% off. This is basically the same thing: 60 miles of assist out of 120 total miles, using about 50% battery assist in ecco.

On a related note, the only competition to the Domane+ is the Specialized Creo, which is 10 lbs less and only has a 250 Wh battery. I have encouraged Bosch repeatedly to make an OPTIONAL 250 Wh battery for the following reasons: A) Direct competition to the Creo for riders who refuse to ride a 37 lb Domane, B) I never use more than 50% of my battery in a single ride, so I am essentially carrying around half an unused battery in excess weight, c) as a second backup battery on your bike, the additional weight and distance of a second 500Wh battery means that you are now carrying 20 lbs of battery, for a total of 1000Wh, and 240 miles of ecco range at 50% usage. That's probably overkill for almost anyone.

Anyone with me?

(P.S. for those who ride long tours, the Bosch 625 Wh battery gives you 25% more distance and only weighs 1.5 lbs more than the 500, and fits into the Domane+)
This is 100% incorrect! Only the 500Wh will fit.

I went out and rode last night about 18 miles and it was very windy. 19mph headwind for about 30% of the ride and of course a 19mph tailwind 30% of the time. I still think with range showing after two rides this past week and the weather has only been around 50F is around 70 miles. This again is a 21 Domane HP with me averaging 18 mph and last night I actually used tour more (about 8% of the time) because of the strong headwinds.

Just bought my 2021 Domane HP+ the other day and so far have managed to get in just one ride but I thought I would drop a review. I was really impressed, like it a lot more than I thought I would. I bought the bike thinking at worst it would be a really good bike to do recovery rides with and ride with my wife because a while ago I got her an e-bike and I haven't been able to get her out on it much.

I think the best description I could come up with after finishing my ride is the bike "flattens the course". Essentially, I will be able to go out on a ride on a day when I wasn't planning on doing a lot of climbing, basically any course I wanted, and still get in a good ride, not crush the legs on 1/4 to 1/2 mile, 6% grades. I rode a 34-mile loop that I like to ride with about 2200-ft of elevation gain, but did NOT want to ride that hard that day, and was able to just get in a really solid ride; I did end up pushing it harder than I thought, but probably just due to the "new bike" excitement.

For some reason I had it in my head that with an e-bike you wouldn't/couldn't really push it that hard, not built for that, more for easier riding, etc. Hell no! You can push that bike as hard as you want, and I don't see why I couldn't do just about any training ride on that bike that I wanted to do. No clue how accurate the power meter is, I didn't have my Garmin Vectors sync'ed before my ride so I'll have to see how accurate that is.

Only one ride, but I absolutely LOVE the bike and will be riding it a lot more than I ever planned.

Just bought my 2021 Domane HP+ the other day and so far have managed to get in just one ride but I thought I would drop a review. I was really impressed, like it a lot more than I thought I would. I bought the bike thinking at worst it would be a really good bike to do recovery rides with and ride with my wife because a while ago I got her an e-bike and I haven't been able to get her out on it much.

I think the best description I could come up with after finishing my ride is the bike "flattens the course". Essentially, I will be able to go out on a ride on a day when I wasn't planning on doing a lot of climbing, basically any course I wanted, and still get in a good ride, not crush the legs on 1/4 to 1/2 mile, 6% grades. I rode a 34-mile loop that I like to ride with about 2200-ft of elevation gain, but did NOT want to ride that hard that day, and was able to just get in a really solid ride; I did end up pushing it harder than I thought, but probably just due to the "new bike" excitement.

For some reason I had it in my head that with an e-bike you wouldn't/couldn't really push it that hard, not built for that, more for easier riding, etc. Hell no! You can push that bike as hard as you want, and I don't see why I couldn't do just about any training ride on that bike that I wanted to do. No clue how accurate the power meter is, I didn't have my Garmin Vectors sync'ed before my ride so I'll have to see how accurate that is.

Only one ride, but I absolutely LOVE the bike and will be riding it a lot more than I ever planned.
Did you have any trouble finding the bike to purchase? With covid, wars and price gouging on almost anything you want to buy, It's hard to find them. Which city do you live in? My bike is in for its 2500 mile tune right now.

Back