Trek Allant+ 9S or Stromer St2?

Fandomii

Region
Europe
Hey folks,
I could use some help deciding between two similar, but also very different 45km/h bikes: the Trek Allant+ 9S (625Wh) and the Stromer St2 (821Wh). I ride 2x11km daily on mostly flat asphalt, with often wind but with not many stops.

Price-wise the two are similar and have common specs: Gates carbon belt drive, inside gears, side-removable battery, hydraulic two-piston brakes, same size wheels and high volume tires.

What the Trek has for it:
- front suspension fork (though I tend to ride with locked fork so as not to wear it out on decent asphalt)
- easier to find repair shops as Bosch engine is popular
- 8% lighter

What the Stromer has for it:
- very quiet motor
- embedded display with GPS tracking and SIM card, smartphone connectivity, lock
- keyless release battery
- a bit more efficient engine than Bosch?
- 25% more range

Which one would you go for and why folks? Looking forward to any advice you have. Thank you!

I don’t think range will be an issue for either bike. I have a power tube 500 on my bike and could easily do 22km with my bike. Is wearing out a front fork an issue? If you don’t like a suspension fork I understand locking it but I woukd use it if I had it. They are both very nice high end bikes. I’d get which ever one you like this best.

The NA version of Trek is different than Europe’s. Still…range is not an issue…depending on assistance level the battery might last the week

I guess range will be around 70-120Km depending on how cold it is. I guess you’re right. It’s just nicer to have more than less :)

What I am wondering more is:

Is the hub motor of Stromer still a valid design compared to the mid-drive motor? Which one of the two is more efficient, handles better and is longer lasting in the long term?

Fandomil: generally, the Stromer is a commuter, a heavy e-bike with huge power. You will not get very much recreation on it. I am not certain the big battery here will help; Stromer will just use more battery charge for the same distance.
Allant+ is more like a bicycle, with far more natural riding feeling.

A question: Both 9s and ST2 seem to be mopeds according to European laws. Are you ready for it?

Fandomil: generally, the Stromer is a commuter, a heavy e-bike with huge power. You will not get very much recreation on it. I am not certain the big battery here will help; Stromer will just use more battery charge for the same distance.
Allant+ is more like a bicycle, with far more natural riding feeling.

A question: Both 9s and ST2 seem to be mopeds according to European laws. Are you ready for it?
Hi Stefan, you are wrong w/r/t the Stromer. They're indeed heavier to carry and lift onto a bike rack. If one needs to transport the bike a lot and lift it it can be an issue for some. BUT they're faster and as nimble as any other commuter bike. Their weight is NEVER an issue while riding. They seem to be mopeds to you because their frames are beefier in order to accommodate bigger batteries for longer range, stronger brakes for more stiffness (comfort) Their motors are indeed powerful, responsive and quiet (which is something even you should enjoy, instead of the annoying constant whir of mid drive and geared hub motors).
I have not ridden any Specialized bikes so I will not comment on them. have you ridden any Stromer? I have owned an ST5 and can promise anyone that tries one that they'll get huge enjoyment out of every commute / mile /kilometer ridden on it.
Having said all that I will concede that If one's going to test a Stromer , the ST2 might prove to be a disappointment for 1 reason : The 5 speed gearing of the Sturmey Archer. It's not for everyone.
Too few and too wide steps in between gears especially if ridden in a hilly area. Then it's down to ST1 with derailleur (11 speed / chain) or ST3 (11 speed/ chain or 9 speed gates/ pinion) for more $$$

Thanks for the heads up folks - the moped restriction is not an issue. I've been riding a speed pedelec (Bosch mid engine Speed Gen2) for a few years (until it got stolen) so I'm quite aware of the behavior of the bike.

I couldn't tell from a small test drive a big difference between the Stromer and the Bosch gen 4 speed, other than the Bosch is more noisy, and the Stromer was making a "clunky" rolling sound while pedaling, similar to Bosch while coasting.

The Sturmey Archer was not very exciting for me but it does the job. Paying double price for the bike so that it has Pinion is no go in my mind.

Thanks for the heads up folks - the moped restriction is not an issue. I've been riding a speed pedelec (Bosch mid engine Speed Gen2) for a few years (until it got stolen) so I'm quite aware of the behavior of the bike.

I couldn't tell from a small test drive a big difference between the Stromer and the Bosch gen 4 speed, other than the Bosch is more noisy, and the Stromer was making a "clunky" rolling sound while pedaling, similar to Bosch while coasting.

The Sturmey Archer was not very exciting for me but it does the job. Paying double price for the bike so that it has Pinion is no go in my mind.
ya the bosch is not a quiet motor.

I tested a couple different Bosch gen 4 CX Speed bikes and one was much louder than the Trek. Maybe it was my impression? Can the same engine sound much louder in different implementations?

I tested a couple different Bosch gen 4 CX Speed bikes and one was much louder than the Trek. Maybe it was my impression? Can the same engine sound much louder in different implementations?
the 4 was sure nosier then my gen 2. a new chain will cause more noise too.

the 4 was sure nosier then my gen 2. a new chain will cause more noise too.
There is a carbon belt drive on both e-bikes. Just saying.

@Petropoliskhan: I have never said Stromer was a bad e-bike for commuting. Especially 2 x 11 km is a very short distance. I take it the OP wants to cover the distance very fast.

Nothing wrong with either e-bike but there are situations you must carry your e-bike (even for a short distance; or over some obstacle). I got "allergic" to overly heavy e-bikes.

Last edited:
What are your opinions on the front and seat suspension of the Trek? Are they worth much over the non suspended parts of the Stromer and also compared to more advance posts like Kinekt Body float?

I was negative about the SR Suntour steel-coil suspension fork until I got the NCX-E25 (50 mm travel) as the upgrade for my Vado 6.0. Suffice to say, I am delighted with it compared to how my Vado felt with the rigid fork before. Yes, the steel-coil suspension fork adds a lot of weight but the ride feeling is really impressive. Trek uses Mobie25 (45 mm travel). I think the Mobie is just the newer version of the NCX-E25. Surprisingly for an inexpensive suspension fork, both NCX-E25 and Mobie25 have hydraulic damping with rebound control. A far better thing than just a simple coil suspension with no damping.

Necessary to mention I used to ride a Giant e-MTB with long travel air fork, and I also use RedShift ShockStop suspension stem on another e-bike. As long as we are talking city rides, potholes or speed bumps, the Suntour spring/hydraulic damping fork is totally adequate. I do not block the suspension on my rides, as the suspension fork contributes to the improved traction on the ride (not only the comfort thing).

No idea about the suspension seat-post of Allant+. It looks very simple, with the spring acting along the seat-post; that concept has never worked well. Cirrus Cycles Kinekt 2.1 is a class in itself. (BodyFloat is the old name).

Last edited:
Back