Trek allant + 7

Trek11

Region
USA
My bike has chain jumping issues in 8+9 gear. Others with same bike have similar problem I've discovered. Adjustable stments do nothing. Replacing cassette and chain haven't helped, maybe derailer change ?
Anyone have an idea ? Good bike other than that. Which is b s, I paid big bucks for this at my local shop.

My bike has chain jumping issues in 8+9 gear. Others with same bike have similar problem I've discovered. Adjustable stments do nothing. Replacing cassette and chain haven't helped, maybe derailer change ?
Anyone have an idea ? Good bike other than that. Which is b s, I paid big bucks for this at my local shop.

Did you mean the chain jumping between two adjacent gears?

A worn shifter cable.
Also, the derailleur pulleys might need to be replaced.

No, it doesn't change gears. Just a nasty clunk from the cassette it seems. It always stays in the same gear. I'm thinking derailleur cuz like I said I have new cassette and chain.
Also and this is significant - after a glide, like when turning, it skips when I start pedaling.
Thanks !!

Did it do this before the new chain? Make sure the chain is the correct length.

Yes, from brand new, it's on it's 3rd chain and second cassette.2,050 miles on it now. I'm in South Florida so the terrain is flat, the bike never is strained.
Any recommendations on new derailleur brand and source ?

Thanks again !

You should not be going through chains and cassettes like that. it could be the derailleur but it could be a bent derailleur hanger. I would have that checked first.

I asked because if the chain was to long or short from new then every new chain is copying the same number of links from the bad chain. Just a thought...

you cant wear out three sets of cogs in 2000 miles something is wrong either the hanger is bent or the detailer is wack.
Of course you can if you are riding in Turbo all the time...
Chain skipping on the smallest cassette sprockets when the new chain has been installed only means the sprockets are worn.

Me again, the originator of the thread. The bike shop replaced one cassette and chain at 1800 miles. I didn't recommend it ,they did and nothing changed with the skipping afterward. Then I saw on a thread someone put a certain chain on and that cured their skipping problem. So I bought one and put it on, no improvement.
I do ride around in turbo at low cadence, if 18 mph is low cadence. But I don't stand on it or anything plus it's flat where I live so I don't overload it in my opinion. It skips with the lightest pedaling pressure I'll add.
Note - After a little gliding like when I go around a corner it skips when I start pedaling again, almost every time.
Today the bike shop said they'll replace the derailleur.
Wish me luck.

I wonder if the cassette is properly aligned with the chain ring?
I've heard of some other issues with that. Like maybe there's a spacer or something missing on the cassette, or with the chain ring?
I think the middle gear on the cassette should be right inline with the chain ring, right? Or am I nuts...

First of all, 1800 miles in Turbo at low cadence means the chain stretched and damaging the smallest cassette sprockets. (The good cadence starts at 70 rpm).

Then, you should check the chain for stretch often. There are inexpensive gauges for that. Trust me, you would be surprised how fast the chain stretches past the 0.5% mark in turbo at low cadence. The stretched chain tries to accommodate the cassette, mercilessly damaging the smallest sprockets as it were a file. The chain replacement at the proper time saves you the expense of replacing the cassette.

Next, your LBS are lazy people who prey on you. Any cassette can be dismantled, and only the worn sprockets need to be replaced, which is extremely cheap compared to the entire cassette replacement.

The derailleur is innocent here. The LBS are trying to find excuses to appease you...

The Allant OEM drive train components are low-to-mid level quality. Be sure you are upgrading components when possible.

I have a 7s, ride it exceptionally hard almost exclusively in Turbo. I replaced the stretched chain, worn cassette and bent derailleur at 1,200 miles. Since then a new cassette every 2K miles for the symptoms you describe, i.e., chain climb. 8,800 miles now. The chain shows no stretch and derailleur is fine.

Your symptoms sound like a worn gear in your cassette.

The drivetrain components on the Allant are fine. Generally you're sacrificing weight and bells/whistles in the lower end Shimano stuff - not quality. Either you have a bent hanger, mech is bent, or it is not set up properly. My money is on the latter, but there is likely damage/wear at this point that warrants replacing all drivetrain components and starting over, although the chainring might be fine. All that also assumes you aren't shifting under load.

The drivetrain components on the Allant are fine. Generally you're sacrificing weight and bells/whistles in the lower end Shimano stuff - not quality. Either you have a bent hanger, mech is bent, or it is not set up properly. My money is on the latter, but there is likely damage/wear at this point that warrants replacing all drivetrain components and starting over, although the chainring might be fine. All that also assumes you aren't shifting under load.
Two other people I met with same bike have the same issue.
Are you sure original components are fine ?

Thanks

Back