Trek allant + 7

Hope they take care of you. Make sure they give the entire drivetrain a close inspection.

I once had a defective derailleur take out an entire drivetrain at 900 mi. Skipping on the smallest cogs was one of the symptoms. The prematurely worn cassette and chain were victims in that case, not the root cause. The sand and salt air here no doubt accelerated the process.

But hard to imagine an enviroment or riding style that could simply wear out an otherwise normal cassette or chain in 450 mi. To me, that points to a damaged or defective component somewhere in the system.

For example, a faulty shift of any cause could break a cassette tooth under heavy load. I've read that broken teeth can lead to skipping.

Specific to the 7s and any bike with a Class 3 mid-drive, there is more torque slamming that rear sprocket than most riders realize. Especially if you really sync-up with the bike and ride it as hard and fast as you can (Which I do 90+% of the time when solo.) And I shift a lot.

The cassette wear point is best found under close inspection by feel. The very tip of the tooth will have a lip. Most often you can feel/catch the lip of the sprocket with the tip of a screwdriver or sharp instrument.

Also, Any part that gets replaced gets upgraded to 8s level componentry. Trek saved $ on the 7s by using slightly lower level components. Chain, derailleur, cassette, etc.

FYI, I also have an 8s, but the 7s will always be my favorite.
I have also modified and added accessories that I then had to replicate on the 8s.

Back